HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Are you suggesting that the Habs shouldn't acquire Laine because it would hurt Caulfield's feelings?
I'm saying it's something to consider when building a team.
Caufield is a popular guy in the room. If he's not happy, it will have an effect on other guys.

Of course, they can always change PP strategy.
Apparently they tried to sign Marchessault, who's also a righty, so there's that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Caufield is a popular guy in the room. If he's not happy, it will have an effect on other guys.

Apparently they tried to sign Marchessault, who's also a righty, so there's that.
Laine is a completely different type of scorer, yea both have elite shots but Laine is more corner / board puck retireiver + net front presence than Caufield is.

Just imagine a top-6:

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
McGroarty - Dach - Laine

More size + high end skill that I can recall Habs having at least since 93 and maybe even late 70s - for a top-6

Reactions: sampollock

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Laine is a completely different type of scorer, yea both have elite shots but Laine is more corner / board puck retireiver + net front presence than Caufield is.

Just imagine a top-6:

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
McGroarty - Dach - Laine
Are Dach and Laine slow? If not how will McGroarty keep up?

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

Just imagine a top-6:

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
McGroarty - Dach - Laine
I'm not comparing the two players. Just the role they'd have on the PP.

Reactions: sampollock

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Only Habs fans can think a team with five top6 players has too many top6 players.
Not sure how you can conclude i don't want them to get another top6 player.
In fact, i want them to go get one this summer. No sense to wait.
But just not anyone. It has to be the right fit.

Laine fits contract wise but for the rest, i'm not sure.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure how you can conclude i don't want them to get another top6 player.
In fact, i want them to go get one this summer. No sense to wait.
But just not anyone. It has to be the right fit.

Laine fits contract wise but for the rest, i'm not sure.
At best Laine gives us what we already have.

At worst, he’s a a huge distraction who costs us assets and disrupts the rebuild.

Again, not wholly against adding someone but it has to make sense.

If we decide that we need more forwards (and I really don’t think we do) then go all in on a power forward for a dimension we don’t have. That makes more sense.

Again though, the Canadiens should be thinking long term. Does Laine get us closer to a cup? I don’t think he does. He might help in the short term but I don’t really care much about that.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Sure didn’t seem to have any trouble “keeping up” in college & WJC - he’s got well above avg pace, he’s simply not elite but neither is Laine
People are talking about him being slow and he was considered that in his draft year. Don't konw if he has improved his skating since then.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
We need to give it a shot with Laine.

If it pans out, it could skyrocket our chances of becoming playoffs contender.

If it doesn't, who cares. We don't hurt our future at all.

Barron or Mesar and a pick should get the job done.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We need to give it a shot with Laine.
We really don’t.
If it pans out, it could skyrocket our chances of becoming playoffs contender.

If it doesn't, who cares. We don't hurt our future at all.

Barron or Mesar and a pick should get the job done.
If he tanks he’d be a huge distraction. Plus the pieces we trade away could be used for something else.

We have a whack of forwards coming soon. Laine takes overtime away from prospects we should be developing.

We’re rebuilding, not contending. This guy might help us get to right at best.

We don’t need this guy at all.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I would be willing to overpay if that means Barron / Harris + 2nd / 3rd rounder
That's not an overpay. Only in Hab land is giving scraps and leftovers an overpay.

At best Laine gives us what we already have.

At worst, he’s a a huge distraction who costs us assets and disrupts the rebuild.

Again, not wholly against adding someone but it has to make sense.

If we decide that we need more forwards (and I really don’t think we do) then go all in on a power forward for a dimension we don’t have. That makes more sense.

Again though, the Canadiens should be thinking long term. Does Laine get us closer to a cup? I don’t think he does. He might help in the short term but I don’t really care much about that.
We don't have a Laine. And no CC ain't a Laine. Evaluation of Laine is way off if he's ok to play.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Waddell is (rightfully) trying to create a bidding war and he may get his wish as the Caps are apparently very interested in acquiring Laine.
Lets them have him...not sure how they fit him on their negative cap space they can't barely fix with their LTIRs contracts already thought.

Reactions: The Real Timo

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
This is clearly another clickbait article but wondering if the proposed move makes sense. I mean I would take a flyer on Laine on a deal that tests him in the first year and heavily incentivized in the subsequent year(s)

Edit: link didn’t work. It was Laine for Farrell, Konyushkov, 2nd and 4th.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Laine has 38 PPP in his 174 games as a Blue Jacket, don't expect him to be a PP savior or anything like that. That being said, he'd be more than fine on the 2nd unit over the likes of RHP/Gallagher/Anderson/Armia/Dvorak. It's a non-issue.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I can’t fathom a player who’s already signed long term, being upset the team is adding more firepower to become more competitive and win more games that ultimately lead to being a playoff team.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They'll get the picks and prospect if they eat a similar contract. No retention needed.

Even then - an oft injured guy out of the player assistance program who has not produced near his potential for many seasons now isn't going to garner them a very big return. They might get a B level prospect and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad