HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather rein lane and mallioux play down in laval to start and call them up later in the year, logan and lane haven't played that many games over the last couple years and let David get comfortable in NA also see what you have with barron Harris struble and jackeye, let the kids marinate in laval no need to rush

There is no need to rush but all three of Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux may already be better than Barron, Harris and Struble.

And if thats the case, having in the AHL under lesser player is way f***ing worst than "rushing" them.

I’m big on acquiring Laine but to play the other side for a moment: if he struggles in the 24-25 season with form and being out of action, it’s going to be a pain in the ass having 8.7m "unaccounted for" in the 25-26 season when considering that we'd have 12m in Gallagher and Anderson already locked up there. That's 8.7m that could go to acquiring a premiere UFA or trade target in case Laine doesn't turn out to be that guy.

As it stands, for the 25-26 season we have 61m in cap commitments (give or take some ELCs) and a salary cap of at least 90m (likelier 92m). Without using any LTIR, we have about 30m in cap space for the 25-26 season and need to re-sign Guhle, call-up Demidov and maybe some other ELCs, and acquire/secure several bottom6ers to replace Armia, Dvorak, etc.

It would be a shame to miss out on the 2025 UFA bonanza because Patrick Laine's stinkin' up the joint...

However (back to being a Laine-optimist):
  1. We have Petry+Allen's dead cap (4.2m) off the books as of the end of this year
  2. Price's 10.5m is in its last year in the 25-26 season and just like Shea Weber his contract can likely be dealt away to a team after LTIR space after his July 1st 5.5m bonus is paid (with the remainder: 2m in-season wages)
  3. If Price's contract is retained, we theoretically can spend 10.5m more and utilising LTIR means doing so to maximise the 'additional' cap space; Laine's 8.7 is a good way to fill 'er up.
  4. Josh Anderson's buyout after the upcoming 24-25 season is not perfect but palatable (it peaks at 3.4m cap penalty for the 26-27 season, by then Laine is gone or re-signed; otherwise it is below 2m for the other three seasons of the buy-out)
  5. I wouldn't use a buy out on Gallagher without seeing if he's LTIR-worthy (also, he's just a better player than Anderson)
  6. Guhle shouldn't be more than 5m but let's assume he's signs a whopping 7.5m cap hit earns it with a monster year
  7. Assuming a 92m cap ceiling: the Existing 61m + Laine 8.7m + Guhle 7.5m = 14.8m + 10.5m to call up ELCs, sign some bottom6ers, and sign a big UFA.
  8. Assuming the above, for UFAs and trade targets at July 1 2025 for the 25-26 season we should have 15-17m available. (keep in mind Hutson, Matheson, and Dach need renewals after 25-26, but by then Laine's cap hit is gone and the cap will go up more)
I think ultimately, this little exercise shows that even in a Laine-pessimistic scenario we won't be in a bad position even with Laine sputtering and struggling. I think it's a therefore worthwhile 'risk' and fits well within Kent Hughes' long-term planning.

If Laine succeeds: awesome
If Laine doesn't succeed: we won't be worse for wear whatsoever

Now the question is the cost to acquire Laine. If it's 'expensive' to acquire him, then forget it. If it's some futures like Barron or 2nd round picks, it's probably worthwhile.

Counter argument :

Gallagher and Anderson will be in their final two year and their contract and Laine one if he is extremely bad will all be buyable, if it where to block us from a big ufa target.

Reactions: ReHabs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So far, all the reports say they have zero interest in retaining or taking back cap dumps. Of course, I still think they have to, but based on the reports they don't want to.

Their GM said
"You know, our hope is that we wouldn't have to hold money," he said. "We want to make a hockey trade if we can and certainly exhaust every opportunity and every team that potentially has interest."

So ideally, they would not want to retain salary, but they are not against it.

If the habs acquire Laine and move a contract, it will likely be Dvorak or Armia. They both only have 1 year left, and can be traded for an asset at the tdl. I doubt the jackets would have an issue with that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Their GM said
"You know, our hope is that we wouldn't have to hold money," he said. "We want to make a hockey trade if we can and certainly exhaust every opportunity and every team that potentially has interest."

So ideally, they would not want to retain salary, but they are not against it.

If the habs acquire Laine and move a contract, it will likely be Dvorak or Armia. They both only have 1 year left, and can be traded for an asset at the tdl. I doubt the jackets would have an issue with that.

Yeah, Dvorak or Armia being included in a potential deal makes a hell of a lot more sense than Gallagher or Anderson, which I think there's no chance of happening.

Reactions: Rapala and 417

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Lane Hutson dont have any shit to do in the AHL. Wtf is that.

He is an instant impact player in our team.

Why would we send him down for the sakes of not rushing him. Instant relationship killer with one of our future star. Absolute mismanagement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Can someone explain to me why the Jackets would even rush a Laine trade? His value is at an all-time low and it's not like they don't have room to play him in the top 6 to regain trade value. It also seems strange that they are apparently extremely opposed to retaining salary on a 2 year contract when they got over 17 million in cap space and all 3 retention slots.
No GM or team wants a player who doesn’t want to be there. It’s terrible for the room, the team, the player and if he doesn’t play well, his value drops even more.

Highly doubt he’ll be at their camp come fall.

Wait! Him or his gloves??? :sarcasm:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Can someone explain to me why the Jackets would even rush a Laine trade? His value is at an all-time low and it's not like they don't have room to play him in the top 6 to regain trade value. It also seems strange that they are apparently extremely opposed to retaining salary on a 2 year contract when they got over 17 million in cap space and all 3 retention slots.
CAP SPACE.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Forget about the Habs, what do you think a trade for Laine would probably cost any team realistically?
Depends on retention. No retention and the price would be very low imo. With retention, it would move upward as the uncertainty factor about Laine is diminished and he can be traded again with additional retention to recoup assets to another GM who thinks he can reform him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why not? Trade Anderson and picks for Laine with retention.

Laine can be easily the next Nichushkin for Habs (in sense that Nichushkin is now a huge piece for Colorado and they acquering him at age 26).

Just 2 years of his contract, I will try that 100%
Do you mean the Nichushkin who was suspended during the 2024 playoffs when his team needed him most.
The guy who was placed in stage 3 of the player's assistance program and is without pay for 6 months.
Sure he helped during their cup run but we are nowhere near a cup run.
Quite often the Demons just won't die.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Do you mean the Nichushkin who was suspended during the 2024 playoffs when his team needed him most.
The guy who was placed in stage 3 of the player's assistance program and is without pay for 6 months.
Sure he helped during their cup run but we are nowhere near a cup run.
Quite often the Demons just won't die.
What demons does Laine have?

Canadians love to smirk off about #BellLetsTalk mental health but someone takes a leave after their dad dies to resolve their depression is considered “riddled with demons”.

Make it make sense to me.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Canadians love to smirk off about #BellLetsTalk mental health but someone takes a leave after their dad dies to resolve their depression is considered “riddled with demons”.

Yeah did Drouin have to enter the assistance program. NO HE DIDN'T.
C'mon man Mental Health was not the only issue.
My bad he did.

Demons none the less.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They're in love with Josh Anderson? :sarcasm:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

It does not make sense you are right .
My dad passed 5 min after the ghule pick.
I am professional that always felt strong and in control especially at work, but that hit me so hard , that for a long time I could not function right , nor perform in my industry (one I always excelled in) I was lucky to get the support and the people around me. To come back on point , never had demons , was not taking drugs or drinking myself to sleep , but needed the help to keep going .
So as rehabs says ,what you saying don’t make any sense

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Nobody is smirking about BellLetsTalk just the cockroaches that run it (Bell). Habs would have to be sure Laine is OK mentlly and physically before making an offer and I wouldn't go more than Armia, a b prospect and a 2nd.

Reactions: sampollock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad