HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Is he forcing a destination, or is he trying to force himself into the NHL directly?

From what I understood, he wants garanteed NHL time otherwise he will stay in the NCAA another year, with possible UFA at the end of the year.

I think this is where it could be interesting to acquire him. Promise him 40 games in the 2nd line with Dach, and if he doesn't get 25 points, then it's the 4th line or the AHL. What does Montreal has to loose with that? They are going nowhere this year, so may as well test him in a spot they have no one right now.

Can't they package something around their first next year (top 10 protected)? Or send Matheson who is not likely to still be relevant in the competing phase of the team, instead of Mailloux?
The Flyers didn't even promise an NHL roster spot to Michkov. If he doesn't make it, they have already decided that he's going back to Russia.

Why would anyone promise anything to McGroarty? No team will promise him a spot without first seeing if he can actually make the team.

Reactions: Doublechin

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Trading for Necas IS a terrible idea. Mailloux vs Mcgroarty isnt.

Yeah trading for a young, established guy who scored 71 points in the NHL is a terrible idea.. compared to grabbing a guy forcing his way out of his drafted team because he isn't being gifted top 6 NHL ice time and has done jack shit in the NHL and hasn't been overtly impressive in the NCAA.

Trading an AHL all-star, 6'3 right shot defenseman which a lot of offensive potential and physical game for a potential 3rd line winger is an all time bad idea.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would not be trading Mailloux right now. His trajectory has been very impressive.

No, there's a clear stable of young defenseman you don't trade unless you are getting a proven player back. A slow footed winger forcing his way off the Jets because they wouldn't promise him top 6 minutes in the NHL is not that guy.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Flyers didn't even promise an NHL roster spot to Michkov. If he doesn't make it, they have already decided that he's going back to Russia.

Why would anyone promise anything to McGroarty? No team will promise him a spot without first seeing if he can actually make the team.

This is the equivalent of promising a NHL roster spot just not in so many words. They are not shipping the guy back to SKA just to go through the transfer gauntlet all over again.

For NCAA players, the top one, it's not uncommon to be promised a roster spot since they need to drop out of their program just to attend training camp. For the rest... I don't believe there is an agent dumb enough to ask for specific TOI when trying to get their client signed to an ELC.

But it is all a bit moot, trading for McGro is a commitment (you only do it if you envision the guy playing for you for the next 5+ years or so) and I don't believe the Habs are willing to make that commitment.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
MacGruber is just seeing his friends play in the show already, and Cutter told him how easy it is to go to a different team, so he is just bullying his way into a US team of choice is what I think is happening…and he will lower demands of playing immediate top 6 min and once he gets on team he likes.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Is he forcing a destination, or is he trying to force himself into the NHL directly?

From what I understood, he wants garanteed NHL time otherwise he will stay in the NCAA another year, with possible UFA at the end of the year.

McGroarty will not be a UFA for two more years.

While I like the player, I wouldn't trade Mailloux for him. Trading away a RD prospect with his upside would be a mistake, IMO. Also, if the rumors of McGroarty wanting a guaranteed NHL spot are true, I would have concerns. He may not be ready for that step.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Read this article suggesting a trade of Baron and Matheson for Frost and Ristolainen.

Not a fan of the idea. Would prefer to keep Matheson unless we get a great offer. Probably click bait.

While I like the player, I wouldn't trade Mailloux for him. Trading away a RD prospect with his upside would be a mistake, IMO. Also, if the rumors of McGroarty wanting a guaranteed NHL spot are true, I would have concerns. He may not be ready for that step.
If we could trade Baron for McGroarty, and have a signed contract before the trade, I’d do that. Maybe would take a draft pick from us to seal the deal.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I was in on McGroarty and now he's PLD status for me. Kinda bush league to demand playing time when you haven't played a second in the league yet.

Could be tactics but the league has a long memory. He'll get on a team and may gets what he wants but if the bet he's making fails it won't be good.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Read this article suggesting a trade of Baron and Matheson for Frost and Ristolainen.

Not a fan of the idea. Would prefer to keep Matheson unless we get a great offer. Probably click bait.

Not a fan? That's an awful trade for us. I loved Ristolainen when he was 20 but he has not progressed at all i'd say he even regressed. He's gonna be 30 next season he's nothing special at this point. I could see him helping a team trying to win now but we are not far enough in our rebuild to be that interested imo. Morgan Frost is a nothing burger middle six player. He's 25 and expecting any progression for him would be foolish.

We are basically giving one of the very good offensive dman in the league and an okay 22 years old prospect who could still develop for a middle six guy and a 30 years old dman who has been regressing the past few years and who is signed for 5 millions for another 3 years. I'd be interested in Ristolainen to play with either Hutson or Guhle but not at this price that's too much. I could not care less for Frost with Beck, Mesar, Kapanen, Roy, etc in the pipeline.

I give 0 credibility to this rumor. Pretty sure that's something someone came up with on his own.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

yeah pass on Mailloux for McGroaty.

Mailloux just seems like the rarer profile.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

If we could trade Baron for McGroarty, and have a signed contract before the trade, I’d do that. Maybe would take a draft pick from us to seal the deal.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call that an article, it reads more like someone fed a bad trade proposal into ChatGPT.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not a fan? That's an awful trade for us. I loved Ristolainen when he was 20 but he has not progressed at all i'd say he even regressed. He's gonna be 30 next season he's nothing special at this point. I could see him helping a team trying to win now but we are not far enough in our rebuild to be that interested imo. Morgan Frost is a nothing burger middle six player. He's 25 and expecting any progression for him would be foolish.

We are basically giving one of the very good offensive dman in the league and an okay 22 years old prospect who could still develop for a middle six guy and a 30 years old dman who has been regressing the past few years and who is signed for 5 millions for another 3 years. I'd be interested in Ristolainen to play with either Hutson or Guhle but not at this price that's too much. I could not care less for Frost with Beck, Mesar, Kapanen, Roy, etc in the pipeline.

I give 0 credibility to this rumor. Pretty sure that's something someone came up with on his own.
Frost is worth a shot. See what he can do with a real coach and decent linemates. But Ristolainen is a no.

Ieatsht4brkfst

Mar 22, 2024
If he "proves valuable", Barron could be the 3rd pair RD behind Reinbacher and Mailloux. Savard's a UFA after this season.
at that point its better to trade him to a team who would use him in a more prominent role, and continue this strategy moving forward to keep assets and draft picks stocked and moved around to positions of need

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

Everybody knows Michkov is assured a spot on the team. It would be PR suicide to send him back to Russia.

PS Frost is extremely underrated in these parts. Last season he showed just how good he can be.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was in on McGroarty and now he's PLD status for me. Kinda bush league to demand playing time when you haven't played a second in the league yet.

Could be tactics but the league has a long memory. He'll get on a team and may gets what he wants but if the bet he's making fails it won't be good.
That no doubt turned Hughes off also. Kind of why we heard more Zegras noise this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad