HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Again, Subban was regularly criticized because he turned the puck over a lot. I agree there were other motives behind some of the hate he got, but his turnovers were often brought up\

Remember that turnover against the Avalanche in OT one year? I think we talked about it on this board for 2 months afterwards.

Regardless, I think you're exaggerating with Matheson...he's not nearly as "stupid" as you make him out to be.

But hey, hate on...

The Matheson hate is basically from the same types that hated Danault and Weber....they just don't understand the game.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Would you do Mailloux for Askarov if that was Nashville ask ?
I thought of this exact trade idea today and think I’d just stick with the kids in net the Habs are already developing.

But the idea of Askarov in Montreal is a sexy idea, I think he’s made for this market, but so is Fowler it seems.

It’s a tough debate.

Last edited:

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm no goalie expert, but when I've seen Askarov play, he is one of the most awkward looking goalies I've seen. He catches with his right and looks like he doesn't hold his glove in position ever.

Not crazy about him, I certainly wouldn't give up any significant assets for him. Maybe Barron and a mid round pick.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm no goalie expert, but when I've seen Askarov play, he is one of the most awkward looking goalies I've seen. He catches with his right and looks like he doesn't hold his glove in position ever.

Not crazy about him, I certainly wouldn't give up any significant assets for him. Maybe Barron and a mid round pick.
Somewhat related: The most awkward goalie I've ever seen is Dominik Hasek. I hated watching him flop all over the ice. Always looked like he was getting lucky and I detested his whole style of play.

Obviously it wasn't luck... but man.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Would you do Mailloux for Askarov if that was Nashville ask ?

I think the last thing you want to add to a rebuilding team is a great goalie that’s gonna steal games.

You need adequate goaltending (which we have as well as good goalie prospects in the pipeline).

I don’t know if Mailloux can defend well enough in the NHL to play in the top4 but until we have sorted this out, it would be unwise to trade a 6’3 220 RD with good tools.

If HuGo assesses that will only be a deluxe 3rd RD, then yes let’s trade him before other teams realize it.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I think the last thing you want to add to a rebuilding team is a great goalie that’s gonna steal games.

You need adequate goaltending (which we have as well as good goalie prospects in the pipeline).

I don’t know if Mailloux can defend well enough in the NHL to play in the top4 but until we have sorted this out, it would be unwise to trade a 6’3 220 RD with good tools.

If HuGo assesses that will only be a deluxe 3rd RD, then yes let’s trade him before other teams realize it.
That last sentence sounds like Barron a lot

Reactions: SamHabsFan and jrom

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Id have doubt to trade for Askarov.
Nashville been trying to shop him since last year draft .
They chose to extend Saros and give the #2 spot to Wedgewood.

If that goalie was ''top elite tier'' , there is no way Nashville would have chosen Wedgewood instead of him. NHL turning into a 2 goalies league who can share 60/40 games for a season.

There is something Nashville is trying to get rid of and nobody has been baiting yet. Perhaps he will be a great nhler but goalies are worth shit in today hockey.

If we had to trade a def prospect , id rather get a forward with size than a goalie with 3 nhl games in his pocket.

Goalies are so cooked nowdays than even ahler Stuart Skinner was 1 game away to win a cup

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Y'all really need to stop trying to trade Mailloux. Our RHD is still pretty bad and he has elite tools, might as well wait and see what he becomes.
Not trying to trade him, unfortunately McGroarty will cost a valuable ELC asset and Jets have a desperate need for RDman. Don’t see Chevaldayoff biting if Barron is offered up…

Habs don’t have any prospect w McGroarty’s skill set, they do have LDman to play the right side.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Somewhat related: The most awkward goalie I've ever seen is Dominik Hasek. I hated watching him flop all over the ice. Always looked like he was getting lucky and I detested his whole style of play.

Obviously it wasn't luck... but man.

Hasek's prime was a bit before time (I essentially got into hockey the year he won his Cup) but Thomas?

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Not trying to trade him, unfortunately McGroarty will cost a valuable ELC asset and Jets have a desperate need for RDman. Don’t see Chevaldayoff biting if Barron is offered up…

Habs don’t have any prospect w McGroarty’s skill set, they do have LDman to play the right side.
I don't know if there's a trade there then. I want Rutger but not at the cost of Mailloux, Rein or Hutson.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Y'all really need to stop trying to trade Mailloux. Our RHD is still pretty bad and he has elite tools, might as well wait and see what he becomes.
He had a terrific first game in the NHL too vs a Red Wings team that needed to win that game. Mailloux was flawless that game. I thought Mailloux looked better than Hutson did in either of his two games.

Habs don't have any D with Mailloux's skillset. That size, that shot and those offensive instincts. Keep in mind he missed most of his draft year and D+1 year. He's come a long way in his development and has high ceiling and high floor.

McGroarty has heavy work boots on for skates.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Because I'm not using giveaways as a means to evaluate him or Bouchard defensively. Matheson's in-zone defense, rush defense, and defensive analytics are all much worse than Bouchard's while playing similar minutes. Maybe Matheson would be better at that in a different system or playing fewer minutes, but at the moment he is not a good defensive player.
Playing with Ekholm helps a lot I think .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad