Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about
  • Laine
  • Kuraly

• Anderson, plus
  • one of Mesar or Farrell or Heineman, plus
  • one of Harris or Struble or Barron?

Not sure. I find it difficult to asset Laine's value. If the cost was that low, I feel a lot of teams would move in and beat it. Trade value for Laine would be on the lower side but my hunch says, we are expecting to low.

Pieces like Kapanen, Engstrom, Flames 1st would probably be targeted by the Jackets IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed. Matheson has improved with MSL mentorship and his defensive flaws are being nit picked by a ridiculous level. Way too much exaggeration going on in the player devalue narrative.

100% agree. He's much better than Ghost and DeAngelo. He belongs in the conversation with Sergachev, Bouchard, Rielly, Carlson, Karlsson, Chabot, etc. None of those D are strong in their own end at shutdown ability and you can nit pick them the exact same way... if you look for it like some are with Matheson. Works in the opposite angle to Hutson... Fans drooling over his offense but don't realize his turnovers/60 were brutal in those 2 NHL games.

This is the age 30 version of Matheson. Not the age 26 version.
Those two years left at age 30 and 31 on a value contract is enormous value in this salary cap for someone who is a late bloomer.
The same fans who complain about Matheson's turnovers, will be the same one who will turn on Hutson once the lustre wears off.

Guys who have the puck on their sticks as much as they do, are going to turn it over...often times at the worst possible time.

Lane Hutson can do no wrong right now, he's the Golden Child...but it's not going to last.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The same fans who complain about Matheson's turnovers, will be the same one who will turn on Hutson once the lustre wears off.

Guys who have the puck on their sticks as much as they do, are going to turn it over...often times at the worst possible time.

Lane Hutson can do no wrong right now, he's the Golden Child...but it's not going to last.
Exactly! Guys who have the puck as much as Matheson will make more mistakes. Like someone else said in an earlier post- 60 point Dmen don't grow on trees.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's very strange how some Habs fans thrown their own under the bus. Did the same thing with Danault and Lehkonen and many others. Matheson has earned his way up the points ladder and he's one of those late bloomers.

His next two years are insane value in this salary cap. Some fans got to wake up
It's one of this boards oddest narratives. If he played on another team and his name wasn't Matheson, everyone here would be drooling over acquiring him with his contract.

He gets no respect I tells ya!

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Well, how are you not giving a break to Matheson under the same narrative? Matheson has the puck on his stick a lot too!

How about you give me your intangibles on why someone like Bouchard and Sergachev are better in their own end vs Matheson? Younger with potential to mature more yes but today and in the next two seasons? Matheson belongs in this mix. He's earned it.

It's very strange how some Habs fans thrown their own under the bus. Did the same thing with Danault and Lehkonen and many others. Matheson has earned his way up the points ladder and he's one of those late bloomers.

His next two years are insane value in this salary cap. Some fans got to wake up
Because I'm not using giveaways as a means to evaluate him or Bouchard defensively. Matheson's in-zone defense, rush defense, and defensive analytics are all much worse than Bouchard's while playing similar minutes. Maybe Matheson would be better at that in a different system or playing fewer minutes, but at the moment he is not a good defensive player.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Nobody, not even Gervais, said that Pacioretty was a bad teammate. Gervais called him a bad person and only because of some stupid disagreement between him and Max re: training equipment.

Yeah I saw Gervais on the sick podcast he came off as very petty.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not going to lie, when we acquired him, I didn't have the fondest memories of the player...but I can't hate, he's been really good for the Habs.

Yes, he plays too much but doesn't change the fact that Hughes stole him from the Pens.

Yeah, I wasn't pumped about the pick up but was happy to get some picks and move on from the Petry saga.

He's playing over his head, much like Petry when Weber was down, Matheson will look fantastic in the right chair. As of right now he has to play in the wrong chair until the young guys take it from him.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
It's one of this boards oddest narratives. If he played on another team and his name wasn't Matheson, everyone here would be drooling over acquiring him with his contract.

He gets no respect I tells ya!
He is so good that no team was even rumored to be pursuing him. They preferred paying more to UFA's instead of trying to acquire this stud defender. They have all seen the pig with makeup on, and it wasn't pretty.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He is so good that no team was even rumored to be pursuing him. They preferred paying more to UFA's instead of trying to acquire this stud defender. They have all seen the pig with makeup on, and it wasn't pretty.
Satire?

I mean...let me see, would I rather pay Mike Matheson 4.875M for the next 2 years or pay Brady Skjei 7M for the next 7 years?

I'm sure the Nashville Predators had that very choice before them and decided to go with the worst and more expensive option.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yup, I can see this happening as well.

Because I'm not using giveaways as a means to evaluate him or Bouchard defensively. Matheson's in-zone defense, rush defense, and defensive analytics are all much worse than Bouchard's while playing similar minutes. Maybe Matheson would be better at that in a different system or playing fewer minutes, but at the moment he is not a good defensive player.

Still have not seen your defensive analytics to support your claim.

What you are doing is moving the bar in opposite directions. Moving Matheson to be worse than he is and moving Bouchard better than he is.

And this is not entirely between Bouchard and Matheson. I listed a few guys with Bouchard but you decided to make it 1 vs 1. You're missing the point. Fans are over exaggerating Matheson's defensive flaws.

Reactions: 417

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
People needs to get in their head that the management want the team to improve and, as much as possible, impress next season. If they want to go to summer 2025 UFA with the intent to get some top tier UFA, they need to sell the idea that the team is trending in the right direction. You wont get a, say, Rantanen over here if we finish again in the bottom 5.

Doing good next season also mean getting a better reading of the team leadership, development and needs. So not only Matheson is a key to improving the team, it also shelter young D like Hutson from stepping into a role that they are not ready, for certain, yet.

All that to say that baring a massive over payment, KH is not trading Matheson.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Bias takes a long time to wear off.
But it soon finds another host.

I have been a fan for almost 70 years and this fan base needs its whipping boy(s). Once Matheson moves on, they'll find someone else to harp on. Nothing has change over the decades. It's all too predictable. If not pathological.

I've just learned to ignore it

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah like most people hated on Markov and Subban, amirite ? Maybe.... Matheson just isn't that good, man, I don't know though. It may be a big conspiracy against Matheson, it makes sense.
On the extremely small chance that Crosby doesn’t resign in Pittsburgh, I don’t see how he doesn’t sign with the Avs.

He's said many times that he thinks Montréal is a special place for him and he grew up a fan, his dad was drafted by the Habs too.

The Avs are a contender for sure but he already has three cups, it's not really a Bourque kind of situation.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's said many times that he thinks Montréal is a special place for him and he grew up a fan, his dad was drafted by the Habs too.

The Avs are a contender for sure but he already has three cups, it's not really a Bourque kind of situation.
It’s moreso playing competitive hockey with his best friend Mackinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad