HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But signing those guys to 4-5 year deals just isn't a smart decision for where we're at right now. Nashville wants to win now and deal with the consequences in a couple years when those contract look gross.
Agree - and this coming from someone pimping the Stamkos train for months leading up to UFA, but I’d never sign him for more than 3-yrs, non-negotiable line in the sand

Now, Habs can overpay for McGroarty (re: Mailloux and even a 1st next year if need be) and I wouldn’t hesitate doing so since he’ll be a top-6 longterm add and fit seamlessly w Dach IMO

Reactions: Deebs

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf are our top line and it's a real top line. Dach our 2C. Hughes didn't get Newhook to be bottom 6 and he has shown 2nd line production. So we need a winger. Anderson had a lousy year but writing him off is way premature. We also have Roy to compete for that spot. The thing is, Demidov is coming in after next season ( or this one ?) and I'm guessing he may not be in the AHL that long. So anybody good is going to want a 4 plus year deal. We want that veteran wing blocking Demidov ?

This year we have that first line together after it figured out what it can do, and it did well. The 2nd line has lots more questions but there is quality there and should be improved over last year.

The bottom 6 is pretty shaky but just like the D a couple years ago we have young guys coming up to start fighting for spots. It will be tough, especially if we move Dvo and Army at the TDL ( I say " if" because if the offers are crap we might as well keep them for the year and they walk as UFAs, though I think we get a 2nd for Armia and that's good enough ). And you know, you don't want to pay millions for vets on the bottom 6

I think in one more year we will be in a position to start making trades of young players, prospects and picks IF we need to trade for a quality player.

In this NHL teams that have assets , draft picks and cap space inevitably are presented with opportunities. While you have to always be open for opportunity, I don't think we have quite developed our young guys. By next year I think it will be a different story and that's when to make a significant trade if need be.

HitHard

Oct 5, 2021
So Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf are our top line and it's a real top line. Dach our 2C. Hughes didn't get Newhook to be bottom 6 and he has shown 2nd line production. So we need a winger. Anderson had a lousy year but writing him off is way premature. We also have Roy to compete for that spot. The thing is, Demidov is coming in after next season ( or this one ?) and I'm guessing he may not be in the AHL that long. So anybody good is going to want a 4 plus year deal. We want that veteran wing blocking Demidov ?

This year we have that first line together after it figured out what it can do, and it did well. The 2nd line has lots more questions but there is quality there and should be improved over last year.

The bottom 6 is pretty shaky but just like the D a couple years ago we have young guys coming up to start fighting for spots. It will be tough, especially if we move Dvo and Army at the TDL ( I say " if" because if the offers are crap we might as well keep them for the year and they walk as UFAs, though I think we get a 2nd for Armia and that's good enough ). And you know, you don't want to pay millions for vets on the bottom 6

I think in one more year we will be in a position to start making trades of young players, prospects and picks IF we need to trade for a quality player.

In this NHL teams that have assets , draft picks and cap space inevitably are presented with opportunities. While you have to always be open for opportunity, I don't think we have quite developed our young guys. By next year I think it will be a different story and that's when to make a significant trade if need be.
Demidov ain’t going to the AHL…

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I find Hughes’ comment about needing to reassess the situation if Demigod is sent to MHL next season interesting - especially addressing that topic without being pressed to.

That was message sending…as in buying out Demidov contract like Michkov
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

would be awesome if he got here sooner

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
A worse message is signing a shitty contract that gets in the way of winning in 2-3 years.
That's the focus, not 3 more wins this year.
You're right and wrong.

The Habs want more wins. The Habs supposedly want to take a step forward.

So far, they haven't done anything to indicate that.

July 2nd, so there's a bunch of time to do something, but to want to start pushing forward instead of status quo it seems like thet want the status quo.

Furthermore, the Habs want to get bigger and be hard to play against. There were a bunch of players like that and they signed short term contracts that the Habs seemingly didn't go after, or they didn't want to come here.

The NHL is slightly shifting back to being physical and needing toughness, to the disdain of some here, but that's fact and as of today the Habs are once again falling behind.

Not signing Marchessault to a 5 year deal is a smart move and glad the Habs didn't do that, but them not doing anything on the free agent market is... a little concerning.

That said, I'd be fine with another low finish and get another top end prospect, maybe 2.

And again, still have a while to see what they do, but if they're expecting organic growth to help the team push that much closer... Might just be wishful thinking.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You're right and wrong.

The Habs want more wins. The Habs supposedly want to take a step forward.

So far, they haven't done anything to indicate that.

July 2nd, so there's a bunch of time to do something, but to want to start pushing forward instead of status quo it seems like thet want the status quo.

Furthermore, the Habs want to get bigger and be hard to play against. There were a bunch of players like that and they signed short term contracts that the Habs seemingly didn't go after, or they didn't want to come here.

The NHL is slightly shifting back to being physical and needing toughness, to the disdain of some here, but that's fact and as of today the Habs are once again falling behind.

Not signing Marchessault to a 5 year deal is a smart move and glad the Habs didn't do that, but them not doing anything on the free agent market is... a little concerning.

That said, I'd be fine with another low finish and get another top end prospect, maybe 2.

And again, still have a while to see what they do, but if they're expecting organic growth to help the team push that much closer... Might just be wishful thinking.
Liklely the players that signed short term contracts did nor want to come here. HuGo will try to trade for reinforcements and with Dach and Newhook and others developing they will hopefully improve next season. Hopefully they will be close to a playoff spot and players will start seeing them as a contender.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Buy out talk for the Habs is ignorant talk. Reasons to buy players out are:

1) Cap space issues. Buyouts sometimes clears it up a bit. Habs do not have cap issues for 5+ years.
2) Problem in the room. None of our vets are problems in the room
3) Playing them in high usage roles? Nope! We are playing them bottom 6 min's.
4) Blocking someone young? Also No! Only top 6 guy we have that needs opportunity is Roy and there is space for him.

Dvorak, Armia, Savard expire at the end of this season. All 3 can help this roster with what they provide and how we used them last season.

Anderson and Gallagher have 3 years left. They both overlap Dach by one year. It's possible buy out talk comes when they have one year left. Not today
If the team goes on a spending spree next summer like many think they should (Crosby etc), the buyout talk could become very relevant. But yeah, obviously not today.

Ottawa is looking for a cheap 3rd pairing defenseman. Harris could be a good fit there.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Liklely the players that signed short term contracts did nor want to come here. HuGo will try to trade for reinforcements and with Dach and Newhook and others developing they will hopefully improve next season. Hopefully they will be close to a playoff spot and players will start seeing them as a contender.
That's what I'm hoping.

I'm imagining they're more focused on McGroarty/Necas/maybe other.

I don't expect them to make the playoffs, or honestly want them to, but Habs need to start taking steps forward. Doesn't need to be a big one this year, like signing Guentzel/Lindholm/Stamkos, but get someone

Get a depth player who's tough. Olivier checks a bunch of boxes, but bjs probably want to keep him for the same reason.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Hoping for a goon to get some blood bath against Reaves and the leafs, some low iq by boy bruiser, maybe get Bosse the BOSS out of retirement
Grandma, we already told you that hockey have changed...

superhéro.jpg

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
To see many guys here wanting Laine is a terrifying thought.

The guy is a big floater, negative valued player and got burned out in Win and CLB but somehow would work in MTL? LOL

Havent you guys had enough of reclamation project or negative value player? We’ve had gamble and reclamation project in MTL for 10 f***ing years. About time we break our « bank asset » for a real f***ing player that fits our rebuild moving forwards.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Signing Crosby and Draisaitl next summer is gonna be crazy
No PPG superstar UFA will ever sign in Montreal.

The only shot we have at a superstar is trough the draft.

This let's add a mid level UFA to make our millionaires happy BS and win 5 more games next season so we end up with a #10 pick overall is non sense. And then what? The mid level becomes older, starts to suck and we are back at square one.

Only, instead of adding a top 5 pick, we end up with a #12 and pick a Helenius. Great. Back to mediocrity.

I say we pick top 5 again, be ready to keep grinding and stop whining. Like all rational posters who mentioned it, 2025 off season is the time changes will be made and we will probably see push being made, because we will we relieved of bad contracts and open up some line-up spot. This is just common sense.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
No PPG superstar UFA will ever sign in Montreal.

The only shot we have at a superstar is trough the draft.

This let's add a mid level UFA to make our millionaires happy BS and win 5 more games next season so we end up with a #10 pick overall is non sense. And then what? The mid level becomes older, starts to suck and we are back at square one.

Only, instead of adding a top 5 pick, we end up with a #12 and pick a Helenius. Great. Back to mediocrity.

I say we pick top 5 again, be ready to keep grinding and stop whining. Like all rational posters who mentioned it, 2025 off season is the time changes will be made and we will probably see push being made, because we will we relieved of bad contracts and open up some line-up spot. This is just common sense.
Habs have $30M+ to play with next summer, get on the Draisaitl train

Not sure why you said half of what’s in your post, not once did I suggest signing anyone this off-season

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Habs have $30M+ to play with next summer, get on the Draisaitl train

Not sure why you said half of what’s in your post, not once did I suggest signing anyone this off-season
It was not about you but about other posters.

Unless we give Drai 17M$ do you really see him signing here? No chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad