Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danton Heinen to 2-Year, $2.25M AAV Contract

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Good pickup. Heinen is a quality utility player that has demonstrated offensive output from a. Depth position.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Slowly but surely, the Canucks are beefing up their bottom six. Heinen and Sherwood are significant upgrades over Lafferty, Di Guiseppe and even Aman.

Canucks just became a lot harder team to play against.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Danton Heinen is really a feel-good story......attended training camp last season with the Bruins on a PTO, and showed enough to earn a one-year deal at the league minimum.

And he turned that opportunity into a 17-goal season, and a two year deal from the Canucks. You have to feel good for the local kid who played his minor hockey in the Lower Mainland.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bruins fan coning in peace.

I wanted the Bs to sign Heinen. He is a smart player who is very versatile. You can play him on any line, and he will make the players look good. Pasta liked playing with him. He is good on special teams.

Danton gets along well with his teammates (My ST in Boston are right next to the bench) and the coaches all liked him.

Except against Boston I wish him well.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like this signing. Seems like a much better player than the Virtanen for Heinen days.
Came to post my memory of this as well... lol..

Back in the day comparisons. I just remember Heinen as a bland player without any standout role/niche in the game.... at the time.

This is an excellent deal. Heinen is a jack-of-all-trades two-way forward. Pretty strong shot/chance impacts, has enough skill to make some plays off the rush, solid on exits, and has some forechecking ability. Drop him and Debrusk next to Petey and let 'em cook.

^ Hoping this is accurate and not just those things people say because he's a canucks now. ha.
He's bounced around now... seems like a classic Good enough to acquire/not good enough to keep guys. Will wait to see... what he brings, how he fits..

Reactions: F A N

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
^ Hoping this is accurate and not just those things people say because he's a canucks now. ha.
He's bounced around now... seems like a classic Good enough to acquire/not good enough to keep guys. Will wait to see... what he brings, how he fits..
I've been like the most vocal person here about wanting to add Heinen.

It's not because the Canucks' just signed him.

Reactions: F A N

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've been like the most vocal person here about wanting to add Heinen.

It's not because the Canucks' just signed him.

Recently, or since the Heinen for Virtanen days? (*raises hand*)

Interesting tidbit from Dimitri Filipovic: No one else offered Heinen a contract on day 1 of Free Agency.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Recently, or since the Heinen for Virtanen days? (*raises hand*)

Interesting tidbit from Dimitri Filipovic: No one else offered Heinen a contract on day 1 of Free Agency.

The other teams’ loss is our gain. I think he’s going to be a really nice fit here - bit in the Pius Suter mould, moving up and down the lineup as needed.

Reactions: arttk

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The other teams’ loss is our gain. I think he’s going to be a really nice fit here - bit in the Pius Suter mould, moving up and down the lineup as needed.

Yes, I've always liked the player. He will do well.

Ironically, the Canucks holding out for Suter and having PDG in house is why they didn't sign Heinen last year. They wanted to, but prioritized the centre.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Guy kinda has hit or miss seasons

Not good

He is a quality NHL'er that produces largely based on his deployment.

He can play a bottom 6 checking role or slot in to the top 6 and not look completely lost. At 2.25M it's an excellent gamble.

Not every player on a roster is going to produce consistently throughout the year. That's called a top line fwd and 8M/yr. Seems obvious enough shouldn't have to bring it up but here you are with your aloof pessimism as usual.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I get that he was on a PTO recently but I have a hard time believing that. There wasn't one other team offering him a 1 year $1Mish contract? I suppose teams could have inquired about Heinen and not have made a contract while Canucks were in on him early.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What kind of well rounded is he? Suter is more like a Jack of all trades master of none rather than a prototypical defensively strong 3rd line forechecker who can move up the line-up.

Is he closer to the former or the latter?

From the initial descriptions, I was kind of hoping he was more like a wing version of Blueger combined with Suter rather than just Suter.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
What kind of well rounded is he? Suter is more like a Jack of all trades master of none rather than a prototypical defensively strong 3rd line forechecker who can move up the line-up.

Is he closer to the former or the latter?

From the initial descriptions, I was kind of hoping he was more like a wing version of Blueger combined with Suter rather than just Suter.

He has good hands and speed and likes to muck it up and score goals from in close. Think poor man's Jake Guentzel. He's not overly physical because he's a bit smaller in stature. A slightly more skilled wing version of Blueger is actually a pretty accurate way to decacribe him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He has good hands and speed and likes to muck it up and score goals from in close. Think poor man's Jake Guentzel. He's not overly physical because he's a bit smaller in stature. A slightly more skilled wing version of Blueger is actually a pretty accurate way to decacribe him.
So defensively strong? More fitting/better on a shutdown line than Suter is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad