HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm discounting natural progression vis-a-vis our opponents (who were already leaps and bounds better than us) which is what ultimately matters. Fantastic if Suzuki gets 85 points next or Caufield scores 38 but if we're still watching Boston/Florida/Tampa kick ass, Toronto do their regular thing in the regular season and Ottawa improves with a better goalie, it doesn't ultimately matter.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do, and that Hughes has been GM since 2022 doesn't do much for me. He also started off with Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle and a 1st overall on the way. He's done a good job so far but I'm going to a call a spade a spade. If he doesn't make a significant trade, we're already cooked for next season. Forget even sniffing a playoff spot in March-April. We're marks in the East.
Gorton & Hughes both stated having a successful offseason this summer was critical for the rebuild, they clearly understand what’s at stake. Need to keep in mind what HuGo have accomplished during their time has been the easy light lifting, now is when heavy lifting starts, only time will tell.

In Mike Tyson’s immortal words: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Reinhart, Verhaghe, Bennett... none of them were particularly effective "on the cycle or playing a heavy game" at the NHL level in their early 20's, either.

I don't share the short term lens you have on what kind of player Newhook will top out as in his prime. From what I see this far, I'd bet on him being a very effective post season player and not anywhere near the diminutive size or style of play that would require a team to limit having "too many of".

We'll see...

Reinhart, Verhaghe, Bennett. are great. Especially when playing with Barkov and Tkachuk to make space for them.

They're also 6'2, 6'2, and 6'1 in their own rights.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is a world class bum and a poor teammate....exactly what Hughes does not want.

Maybe if Hughes has inside information that Laine has really turned it around but until then I don't think he is an option at all.

Rumors are the Habs are in deep talks for Laine so Hughes, Gorton, MSL, and probably Suzuki want him to join our team. Laine has top end skill with his shot and he's not a problem child. He's going through a problem and I believe Montreal brings out the best from him.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Gorton & Hughes both stated having a successful offseason this summer was critical for the rebuild, they clearly understand what’s at stake. Need to keep in mind what HuGo have accomplished during their time has been the easy light lifting, now is when heavy lifting starts, only time will tell.

In Mike Tyson’s immortal words: “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”
The real question is what Gorton and Hughes consider a "successful off-season". It's not to bring in more vets to turn the team into a contender overnight.

They probably want to clear some more contracts, but going by the pundits they think their scrubs and deadwood have more market value than what the rest of the league is telling them. In other words, nothing is going to happen. They just have to wait to June/July 2025 and they will clear like 7 NHL roster spot just by not re-signing UFAs and RFAs.

Reactions: vokiel

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
The real question is what Gorton and Hughes consider a "successful off-season". It's not to bring in more vets to turn the team into a contender overnight.

They probably want to clear some more contracts, but going by the pundits they think their scrubs and deadwood have more market value than what the rest of the league is telling them. In other words, nothing is going to happen. They just have to wait to June/July 2025 and they will clear like 7 NHL roster spot just by not re-signing UFAs and RFAs.
On your latter point, KH surprised us before. Nobody thought there was a way to get ride of Petry, Hoffman, Edmunston for any value

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Hughes should be going after Askarov....they have no cap space and have to go all year with 6 D and 12 forwards and still have Tomasino to sign.

Reactions: smirob

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Laine's up side is huge. That's a gamble I'd be willing to take. If it doesn't work who care we aren't contending but if he finds his game we might just find our selves in a wild card spot. We have the cap room to give it a shot.. with that being said if we can land McGorty for a fair price let's go that route if not let's roll the dice on Laine

Slaf Suzuki caufield
Laine Dach Newhook

Would be a pretty interesting top 6.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
On your latter point, KH surprised us before. Nobody thought there was a way to get ride of Petry, Hoffman, Edmunston for any value
He had to retain on two of those (and Allen too) which resulted in the Habs having a single retention slot left this season despite this being the year with the most UFAs and Hughes is not going to use it until the deadline to get max return on one of the UFAs.

The best would be to move Dvorak this off-season at full cap hit, but he's probably only worth future consideration with all his injuries, vanilla play and cap hit.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Reinhart, Verhaghe, Bennett. are great. Especially when playing with Barkov and Tkachuk to make space for them.

They're also 6'2, 6'2, and 6'1 in their own rights.
Height is largely irrelevant to "playing heavy'. Bennett is shorter than Verhaeghe & Reinhart and plays a much more physical game than either. Lomberg is 5'9 and plays the body more than any of them.

Slaf, Dach & Suzuki are all very good at making space for their linemates too, and will only improve at that as they hit their mid 20s.

Not sure I get the point you are trying to make :dunno:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Laine's up side is huge. That's a gamble I'd be willing to take. If it doesn't work who care we aren't contending but if he finds his game we might just find our selves in a wild card spot. We have the cap room to give it a shot.. with that being said if we can land McGorty for a fair price let's go that route if not let's roll the dice on Laine

Slaf Suzuki caufield
Laine Dach Newhook

Would be a pretty interesting top 6.
Whether it's Laine, or McGroarty or Zegras....................there is a trade brewing out there somewhere.
The summer and offseason just started for sure.
With Laine, the contract is set, and only two years left. Have Columbus take a contract back as part of the deal. Dvorak....Andy....Armia....Gally anyone of these guys and we are off. Add a dman and a pick and there we are.

Reactions: MeanMugging91

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
If the Habs want McGroarty, I think Newhook has to be going the other way. I’m sure the Jets will get a better offer then several minor pieces.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Are Habs really in on Laine?

Or was Ettedgui the scammer trying to create discussion for a slow day at his radio station?

If the Habs want McGroarty, I think Newhook has to be going the other way. I’m sure the Jets will get a better offer then several minor pieces.

Fair value but it don't do anything for us. Its a lateral move like Hughes said yesterday.

Best way to go for McGroarty is an overpayment of picks or non-roster player.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Rumors are the Habs are in deep talks for Laine so Hughes, Gorton, MSL, and probably Suzuki want him to join our team. Laine has top end skill with his shot and he's not a problem child. He's going through a problem and I believe Montreal brings out the best from him.
Deep talks? For as long as he's on the rehab program from the league, there is no trading for him.

So it could only be deep thoughts.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

where did you get these rumors? i'm always a bit skeptical when discussing Laine as he's still in the program and no team can speak with him until he's out.

Win may ask for that, but KH was clear that he wants to deal from a place of surplus so I can't see Newhook being traded for an unproven (but with potential) player.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
where did you get these rumors? i'm always a bit skeptical when discussing Laine as he's still in the program and no team can speak with him until he's out.

Win may ask for that, but KH was clear that he wants to deal from a place of surplus so I can't see Newhook being traded for an unproven (but with potential) player.
Some people just can’t read.

Apron Basu have a TRADE PROPOSAL not a rumour.
There are NO rumours

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Hoping for a goon to get some blood bath against Reaves and the leafs, some low iq by boy bruiser, maybe get Bosse the BOSS out of retirement

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure how credible he is but David Ettedgui reported it yesterday.

Deep talks? For as long as he's on the rehab program from the league, there is no trading for him.

So it could only be deep thoughts.

They can still talk trade and have something agreed on before he is off the program. No doubt in my mind that they are talking and its not just "thoughts".

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The main important part to all of this is we have draft power and assets to make moves. Gorton/Hughes are just being smart at the timing of when they make the moves. Circumstance/timing plays a huge factor of when we make moves and when we don't.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

HuGos consistent messaging:

..provided injuries don’t decimate the roster, the Canadiens can be in the mix for a playoff spot as is. That with everyone a year older and more experienced, and with the group more mature in its adaptation and application of coach Martin St. Louis’s concepts and systems, they’ll be better.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
To see many guys here wanting Laine is a terrifying thought.

The guy is a big floater, negative valued player and got burned out in Win and CLB but somehow would work in MTL? LOL

Havent you guys had enough of reclamation project or negative value player? We’ve had gamble and reclamation project in MTL for 10 f***ing years. About time we break our « bank asset » for a real f***ing player that fits our rebuild moving forwards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Nah, McGroarty is a good prospect but has not turned pro yet. Most offers the Jets will receive are futures or NHL ready guys like Barron+. Go look up H Borgstrom and see how well he did in the NCAA.

Trading a player under RFA team control like Newhook for a magic bean is reaching. McGroarty doesn't have that kind of value.

Reactions: Garnet76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad