HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Man, McGroarty would be a perfect addition for this young core and a feather on the cap to an incredible weekend for the franchise.

But realistically, I unfortunately think that ship has sailed now that we made the Hage pick..which for the record I’m perfectly fine with. I’m very high on Hage.

I doubt a name like Justin Barron moves the needle much. Filip Mesar? Sean Farrell? Highly doubt it.

Logan Mailloux? Maybe, but I’d be extremely hesitant to move him after he showed massive growth as a player last season.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Man, McGroarty would be a perfect addition for this young core and a feather on the cap to an incredible weekend for the franchise.

But realistically, I unfortunately think that ship has sailed now that we made the Hage pick..which for the record I’m perfectly fine with. I’m very high on Hage.

I doubt a name like Justin Barron moves the needle much. Filip Mesar? Sean Farrell? Highly doubt it.

Logan Mailloux? Maybe, but I’d be extremely hesitant to move him after he showed massive growth as a player last season.
Winnipeg still has to trade him and there’s no more 2024 1st picks that can be traded.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Winnipeg still has to trade him and there’s no more 2024 1st picks that can be traded.

I get it, but he’s still probably what..a top 30 prospect in hockey? They probably want a similarly ranked guy with high upside. Think of the Gauthier-Drysdale deal. Not saying it’ll be like that, but I think it’ll be a hell of a lot closer to something like that than a Justin Barron and 2nd rounder scenario we’re all dreaming up lol

And for the record I know Cutter is the better prospect. Just saying, I think the ask will be very high.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think after taking Demidov (and Hage, but mostly Demidov), Montreal's probably not super interested in McGroarty.

Under 25 Guys on the roster/system that have realistic shots at being top 9 Wingers are:
-Caufield (Right Shot W)
-Slafkovsky (Left Shot W)
-Demidov (Left Shot W)
-Dach (Right Shot C/W)
-Newhook (Left Shot W/C)
-Roy (Left Shot W)
-Hage (Right Shot C/W)

Plus other guys like Farrell, Mesar and other prospects who have a shot as well. Feels like they're better of trying to trade quantity for quality trade. And if Montreal's doing that, I want to aim higher than McGroarty. And I'd be looking more C or even a D upgrade.

Reactions: Archijerej

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I wonder if the Jets would do Matheson for McGroarty.
Habs are not dealing Matheson

Mailloux for McGroarty swap

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Winnipeg doesn't have to trade McGroarty right now. His rights do not expire this off-season. If the Jets do not get an offer they like, they can always keep him for another season or deal him around the trade deadline.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Winnipeg doesn't have to trade McGroarty right now. His rights do not expire this off-season. If the Jets do not get an offer they like, they can always keep him for another season.
They could. But they shouldn’t.

They’re in win now mode and have to trade McGroarty, they should use that premium asset to bolster their roster, right now. Waiting for another year just means their old core will be 1 year older before they bring in reinforcements.

Which is why the 21st pick not being available anymore shouldn’t be a deal breaker, as that pick would only be ready to contribute in 3+ years.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
If it meant getting McGroarty, I’d deal the Calgary 1st rounder in 2025, Barron and one of Harris/Struble.

Jets get cheap, cost controlled help now on the blueline and a future first.

Habs get an established prospect up front that’s further along in his development.

A future lineup of:

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - McGroarty
Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - _____

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes

That looks pretty awesome to me!!!

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think after taking Demidov (and Hage, but mostly Demidov), Montreal's probably not super interested in McGroarty.

Under 25 Guys on the roster/system that have realistic shots at being top 9 Wingers are:
-Caufield (Right Shot W)
-Slafkovsky (Left Shot W)
-Demidov (Left Shot W)
-Dach (Right Shot C/W)
-Newhook (Left Shot W/C)
-Roy (Left Shot W)
-Hage (Right Shot C/W)

Plus other guys like Farrell, Mesar and other prospects who have a shot as well. Feels like they're better of trying to trade quantity for quality trade. And if Montreal's doing that, I want to aim higher than McGroarty. And I'd be looking more C or even a D upgrade.
I wouldn’t say they aren’t super interested, but probably not as desperate. Getting a big guy that brings physicality and has nice skills would compliment the top 6 tremendously.

I also doubt you’re getting a better prospect than McGroarty if you package the likes of Harris/Struble/Mesar/Farrell.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I wouldn’t say they aren’t super interested, but probably not as desperate. Getting a big guy that brings physicality and has nice skills would compliment the top 6 tremendously.

McGroarty is 6'1" 205 lbs. He's strong and physical, but I wouldn't call him "big". If Dach ends up on the wing and you want Demidov in the NHL for 2025-2026, then one of Demidov, McGroarty or Dach is a 3rd liner in Montreal that season. If you think McGroarty has a shot to be a center or that Dach wont be able to stay healthy then sure, but the fit isn't nearly as neat as it would have been had Montreal taken Lindstrom, Catton or one of the D.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
They could. But they shouldn’t.

They’re in win now mode and have to trade McGroarty, they should use that premium asset to bolster their roster, right now. Waiting for another year just means their old core will be 1 year older before they bring in reinforcements.

Which is why the 21st pick not being available anymore shouldn’t be a deal breaker, as that pick would only be ready to contribute in 3+ years.
That doesn't mean Wiinipeg should trade him for pennies on the dollar if that's all the offers they are getting right now. There is always the trade deadline.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
McGroarty is 6'1" 205 lbs. He's strong and physical, but I wouldn't call him "big". If Dach ends up on the wing and you want Demidov in the NHL for 2025-2026, then one of Demidov, McGroarty or Dach is a 3rd liner in Montreal that season. If you think McGroarty has a shot to be a center or that Dach wont be able to stay healthy then sure, but the fit isn't nearly as neat as it would have been had Montreal taken Lindstrom, Catton or one of the D.
I’d say he’s a big dude. Not a behemoth like Slaf, but he’s definitely on bigger side in terms of NHL average.

Why not go:
Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
CC-Dach-McGroarty

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
McGroaty sounds like a great opportunity but it also sounds a little worrisome if he was forcing the Jets to play him in the NHL or threaten not to sign.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
That doesn't mean Wiinipeg should trade him for pennies on the dollar if that's all the offers they are getting right now. There is always the trade deadline.
And where exactly did I say they should trade him for pennies on the dollar?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I’d say he’s a big dude. Not a behemoth like Slaf, but he’s definitely on bigger side in terms of NHL average.

Why not go:
Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
CC-Dach-McGroarty

"definitely on bigger side in terms of NHL average" is damning with faint praise to me. He is physical, the fit is still there. But McGroarty isn't going to be cheap (and the trade fit isn't as clear as it once was) and the need is not nearly as significant as it was.

Would you move Dach for him? Newhook + Mailloux/Barron? If so then fine, but he's not going to be as cheap as some fans are hoping.

Reactions: smirob

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
"definitely on bigger side in terms of NHL average" is damning with faint praise to me. He is physical, the fit is still there. But McGroarty isn't going to be cheap (and the trade fit isn't as clear as it once was) and the need is not nearly as significant as it was.

Would you move Dach for him? Newhook + Mailloux/Barron? If so then fine, but he's not going to be as cheap as some fans are hoping.
If they believe Dach will never be healthy move him for McGroarty

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
"definitely on bigger side in terms of NHL average" is damning with faint praise to me.
By definition that makes him big. Again, I'm not talking about a monstrous guy, but he definitely brings a good bit of size and physicality that we are lacking a lot.
He is physical, the fit is still there. But McGroarty isn't going to be cheap (and the trade fit isn't as clear as it once was) and the need is not nearly as significant as it was.

Newhook+Barron is a no brainer, but yes I don't think he'd be cheap either. We don't need to be as desperate anymore to add a quality forward piece so we could always wait to add someone that might be even bigger and/or physical to compliment the top 6.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

No Dach, but I definitly move a pretty long term useless Newhook for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad