HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why? What do you see in Jeannot that we already don't have with Pezzetta, Anderson, Armia, Gallagher?

Pezzetta is a great depth guy who can watch games and play some here and there. Adding Jeannot to an already crowded bottom 6 is just weird to me.
Jeanott is actually physical and can fight with no term. Might help Xhekaj get less relied on for that role. If he returns to 2022 form offensively, teams will be lining up to get him at the deadline if Habs decide they don't want to pay him.

Anderson is selectively physical and a passenger. Gallagher is washed and Pezzetta is a great 13th forward but can't really help insulating Xhekaj from always being the guy to fight opposition big guys. None have any value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jeanott is actually physical and can fight with no term. Might help Xhekaj get less relied on for that role. If he returns to 2022 form offensively, teams will be lining up to get him at the deadline if Habs decide they don't want to pay him.

Anderson is selectively physical and a passenger. Gallagher is washed and Pezzetta is a great 13th forward. None have any value.

I don't care about fighting. Nice to see but it doesn't really stop players from being aggressive.

Jeanott clutters our bottom 6 and it's already cluttered. I just don't see the need.

Reactions: Yoor and 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't care about fighting. Nice to see but it doesn't really stop players from being aggressive.

Jeanott clutters our bottom 6 and it's already cluttered. I just don't see the need.
Who does it bump on LW? Pinard? Not like what they have are anything special. At least you get a chance at buying low on a guy that might be flipped for a 1st at deadline if they play cards right.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I din’t understand the rumours about Martin Necas. Necas should stay with the Canes. Even the letters are fitting well together.
Necas's dad told the media his son wanted to be traded a few months ago. He's not interested in signing long term with the Canes and if they don't manage to trade him, he's just going to go to arbitration, get a 1 year contract and become UFA.

Reactions: Hins77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I din’t understand the rumours about Martin Necas. Necas should stay with the Canes. Even the letters are fitting well together.

Two major things to connect that have substantial gaps.

1) Rumors are the Canes only want to pay him 5x5 or 5x6. Necas is probably chasing a Suzuki contract.

2) Canes don't want to pay him $8M AAV but they are certainly asking for $8M in trade value.

Necas's dad told the media his son wanted to be traded a few months ago. He's not interested in signing long term with the Canes and if they don't manage to trade him, he's just going to go to arbitration, get a 1 year contract and become UFA.

Context can run deeper. He doesn't want to sign long term because he feels like they are blocking him (used him as a middle 6F this past year) and they are not willing to offer him the Suzuki contract which is probably what he is asking for. Brindamour has a high level of expectation

Good player with high tempo and energy. Great skater with a good shot. I value this but I'm with the Canes on this one. He's asking for too much and he's not some sure shot top 6F hit. Canes play a team game and I'm very curious to see how he looks on a different team. Could get better or worse. I can see two sides to this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Two major things to connect that have substantial gaps.

1) Rumors are the Canes only want to pay him 5x5 or 5x6. Necas is probably chasing a Suzuki contract.

2) Canes don't want to pay him $8M AAV but they are certainly asking for $8M in trade value.
I doubt there's a 3M/yr gap between what the Canes are offering and what Necas wants.

I mean 5X5 is barely more annually than what they signed Kotkaniemi for.

If that's what they're offering, no wonder he wants out.
Context can run deeper. He doesn't want to sign long term because he feels like they are blocking him (used him as a middle 6F this past year) and they are not willing to offer him the Suzuki contract which is probably what he is asking for. Brindamour has a high level of expectation

Good player with high tempo and energy. Great skater with a good shot. I value this but I'm with the Canes on this one. He's asking for too much and he's not some sure shot top 6F hit. Canes play a team game and I'm very curious to see how he looks on a different team. Could get better or worse. I can see two sides to this.
If Martin Necas is not a sure shot top 6F...than that standard is pretty high and we've got a lot of work to do, more than we even though.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I doubt there's a 3M/yr gap between what the Canes are offering and what Necas wants.

If Martin Necas is not a sure shot top 6F...than that standard is pretty high and we've got a lot of work to do, more than we even though.
This team is several top forwards away from competing, whether home-grown or through trade. No single player equates with a savior, but 2-3 more, depending on the quality, will transform the potency of the offense. Which is starved for goals. This is a team where defensive scoring was a comparative strength, and many of the defensemen were still young and will continue improving. Hope that HuGo find several buy-low opportunities at forward and a steal or two at the draft. It's high time to revamp that forward corps.

Edit: I can live with overpaying $1m or so in order to secure a scorer long-term. I don't think that Montreal is a preferred destination, until at least MSL continues his ascendancy as a coach.

Reactions: 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Necas is not Suzuki level. He scored 9 points less than Matheson, a defenceman. Yes, his previous year was better, but I would be offering max 5 x 6.8M. Not willing to trade Matheson for him, Guhle scares me. If they don't want primarily futures, maybe two roster players like Xhekaj and Evans and take a bad contract back?? Could they use Savard for one year to compete? Armia for 3rd line and PK?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Why? What do you see in Jeannot that we already don't have with Pezzetta, Anderson, Armia, Gallagher?

There is not much to see in Jeannot tbh.

I just like the player and its profile but in a vacuum, he brings an intimidating presence that neither of the other 4 brings but that is about it.

Gallagher, Anderson and Armia are indeed better player.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is not much to see in Jeannot tbh.

I just like the player and its profile but in a vacuum, he brings an intimidating presence that neither of the other 4 brings but that is about it.

Gallagher, Anderson and Armia are indeed better player.

Just wait till he is UFA and sign him. By then, maybe a few vets are off the roster. I rather not chew into our cap space for a player like this when we have so many vets in our bottom 6 already.

Keep our cap space open as much as possible. You never know who will become available this coming season. There are always surprises

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This team is several top forwards away from competing, whether home-grown or through trade. No single player equates with a savior, but 2-3 more, depending on the quality, will transform the potency of the offense. Which is starved for goals. This is a team where defensive scoring was a comparative strength, and many of the defensemen were still young and will continue improving. Hope that HuGo find several buy-low opportunities at forward and a steal or two at the draft. It's high time to revamp that forward corps.

Edit: I can live with overpaying $1m or so in order to secure a scorer long-term. I don't think that Montreal is a preferred destination, until at least MSL continues his ascendancy as a coach.
Oh I'd love to add Necas, I was just saying, I doubt the Canes are trying to get him signed to a 5 x 5 deal like the poster suggested. That doesn't fall in line with the market right now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Necas is not Suzuki level. He scored 9 points less than Matheson, a defenceman. Yes, his previous year was better, but I would be offering max 5 x 6.8M. Not willing to trade Matheson for him, Guhle scares me. If they don't want primarily futures, maybe two roster players like Xhekaj and Evans and take a bad contract back?? Could they use Savard for one year to compete? Armia for 3rd line and PK?
There's a big difference between 5 x 5 and 5 x 6.8M.

To me the question of whether or not he's Suzuki's level is basically irrelevant, someone is going to pay him in the 7M-7.5M range, if it ain't the Canes, it'll be someone else.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Just wait till he is UFA and sign him. By then, maybe a few vets are off the roster. I rather not chew into our cap space for a player like this when we have so many vets in our bottom 6 already.

Keep our cap space open as much as possible. You never know who will become available this coming season. There are always surprises

Agree.

There is not really a need for Jeannot i really just like the player.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Believe it or not but one of the Canes fans told me the rumor was the Canes offered him 5x5. First I heard of that but I kind of believe it.

You and me have got back/forth on this a fair amount. You like him a lot and so do others but I personally feel he is a strong middle 6F type. You want to pay him as a sure shot top 6F. Risky for me because I am not sure what his prime years look like on a new roster.

Very curious to see the trade return and what the new team signs him for.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Believe it or not but one of the Canes fans told me the rumor was the Canes offered him 5x5. First I heard of that but I kind of believe it.
Pffftttt! yeah right lol
You and me have got back/forth on this a fair amount. You like him a lot and so do others but I personally feel he is a strong middle 6F type. You want to pay him as a sure shot top 6F. Risky for me because I am not sure what his prime years look like on a new roster.

Very curious to see the trade return and what the new team signs him for.
Yeah i'm definitely a fan, I think he's going to land on another team and we're going to be reading posts about how we missed out.

But at the same time, I wouldn't sell the farm to acquire him. I just really like his skill/age profile, it fits into what we're currently looking for.

But the Habs probably don't have what the Canes would want for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad