HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
This is a weird proposal, since Pezzetta is just as good of a hockey player...he's just not as good of a fighter.

But adding the 3rd and 5th?? Yikes.
Well especially since Jeannot may be a cap dump it is probably indeed an overpayment.

With all due respect to Pezz, Jeannot is both better and tougher tho. A much more efficient and intimidating bottom sixer with better scoring touch. Pezz is way faster tho.

Reactions: Vachon23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well especially since Jeannot may be a cap dump it is probably indeed an overpayment.

With all due respect to Pezz, Jeannot is both better and tougher tho. A much more efficient and intimidating bottom sixer with better scoring touch. Pezz is way faster tho.
Is he?

Or is he just living off the reputation of his first year where he scored at an unsustainable rate that he hasn't come close to approaching or repeating?

He's tougher? Sure…as in more capable of a fighter than Pezz, but I still don't quite know why we’re swapping a cheaper, comparable player AND adding multiple picks on top of it, for a glorified face puncher.

The guy has more black eyes and facial scars than goals

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Is he?

Or is he just living off the reputation of his first year where he scored at an unsustainable rate that he hasn't come close to approaching or repeating?

He's tougher? Sure…as in more capable of a fighter than Pezz, but I still don't quite know why we’re swapping a cheaper, comparable player AND adding multiple picks on top of it, for a glorified face puncher.
Well i would be surprised if he sniff at 20 goals again. But i believe he has better hands and scoring touch around the net. I mean, Pezzetta is nice but it's not a high threshold to surpass

I think he simply brings more to a bottom six than Pezz.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Has Tampa Bay's window closed?
They have the NHL’s most productive player and a ton of talent and experience and grit. I think they’re not going anywhere. Compared to Toronto, New York, Carolina, etc they make almost the entire rest of the league look like pretenders and frauds.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well i would be surprised if he sniff at 20 goals again. But i believe he has better hands and scoring touch around the net. I mean, Pezzetta is nice but it's not a high threshold to surpass

I think he simply brings more to a bottom six than Pezz.
More salary maybe...Pezzeta at 812K is much better value than Jeannot at 2.665M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt the Habs will compete for anything as long as Matheson is considered the Habs #1 D. That's not his chair.

We are not expected to compete in the next two years so who cares. In the meantime, we are trying to move up and gain confidence/momentum. Matheson is a part of this and there is no way Hutson is ready to take that role.

You know, Matheson can be very effective if he was on the 2nd pairing with a shutdown type and on your PP. Our issue is our youth is not ready and we have holes on D. Then fans start to blame Matheson who is busting his ass off for us each and every shift and has improved with MSL.

We just have to be careful with not extending Matheson on his next contract. The right time to trade him will come. We can't force it.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Has Tampa Bay's window closed?
I don't think it's shut, but it's narrowing...there's a cost to be successful for so long.

They've liquidated draft picks and haven't had much success (like they used too) at finding late gems in the draft.

Of course with guys like Kucherov, Hedman and Vas still in the fold...they'll always have a shot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I doubt the Habs will compete for anything as long as Matheson is considered the Habs #1 D. That's not his chair.
Sure...but asking a younger player to play that role in the interim, isn't going to speed up that process IMO.

I'm not opposed to trading Matheson, but he's more valuable to this team than most give him credit for, and any trade for him, has to reflect the value to this team, in it's current form.

2 years ago trading Matheson purely for a 1st round pick would have made sense...today, not so much IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pezzetta + 3rd + 5th

for

Jeannot

TB does not have any draft pick in the first 3 round.

Make it happen Kent

Why? What do you see in Jeannot that we already don't have with Pezzetta, Anderson, Armia, Gallagher?

Pezzetta is a great depth guy who can watch games and play some here and there. Adding Jeannot to an already crowded bottom 6 is just weird to me.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Would you pay

Matheson
Beck
WPG 1st

for

Utah 6th
?

I don't believe any worse prospect would cut it, that's bare minimum for Utah to consider.
Utah does not need vets in exchange for 6th pick, and Montreal should not overpay for an 18 year old at this point.

Reactions: 417

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
While I'm not opposed to trading Matheson for a good return, I don't understand the need to trade him right now. Besides Guhle and Savard, he's the only dman that's a regular at the NHL level. He'll get traded eventually, but he's more than fine as a placeholder until Hutson is fully ready. If the idea is to gain assets and sign a vet dman as a replacement, that vet dman will have a significantly more expensive and longer contract.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
We could see 4 forwards 1, 2, 3,4 tomorrow if the Sennecke' rumor is true:

Celebrini : SJ 100%
Demidov : Chicago 100% in my view
Sennecke: Anaheim
Columbus: Lindstrom

..so Buium could be a real possibility at 5.

Then a big trade for the 10t or 11th and we would pick Catton or Iginla

Mtl with Buium and Catton or Buium and Iginla would be awesome

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
We could see 4 forwards 1, 2, 3,4 tomorrow if the Sennecke' rumor is true:

Celebrini : SJ 100%
Demidov : Chicago 100% in my view
Sennecke: Anaheim
Columbus: Lindstrom

..so Buium could be a real possibility at 5.

Then a big trade for the 10t or 11th and we would pick Catton or Iginla

Mtl with Buium and Catton or Buium and Iginla would be awesome
wow
if that happens I will be disappointed for sure

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I'm sure all the GM's across the league are focused in on the Athletic's trade board. :D
If we move Matheson I guarantee you its for reasons other than.
Is he on the block no on the block to me means we are actively looking to move him.
What we are doing is actively listening.
The other possibility is we want something from someone else and they insist on Matheson as part of the package.
Hughes would only do this if he had a ready replacement for the top pairing preferably right handed as I'm sure they'd love to get Guhle back on the left.
Not sure what you mean by that.
Other than what?

Call it actively listening, whatever...
He's not unavailable, lets just say.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Utah need signed Ds, they currently have zero and only 3 RFAs to re-sign.. But I wouldn't trade Matheson + Beck + 26 for #6, that's a crazy overpay.
If they need D's, what could they offer that would be interesting for any two of:
Harris
Barron
Kovacevic
Savard
Struble
Xhekaj?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad