HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The idea that we should trade Matheson because he made a career high is wrong in my opinion.

It is in fact the reason why we should keep him. He will bring way more value in our line-up than in a trade, indeed barring the return but i strongly doubt he can get us a top 10 pick.

He is establishing himself as a top 20D league wide and he may make career high for another 4-5 years.

Reactions: Garnet76 and Svart

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
The idea that we should trade Matheson because he made a career high is wrong in my opinion.

It is in fact the reason why we should keep him. He is on the verge of establishing himself as a real top pairing defenseman.
nope move him

go back and see how many of us posters were pissed at him during the year. sure he had good points, that is why you dangle him out there.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Than you trade him at the deadline once they figure out if any of the rookies can actually produce at this level. If you want to do better than 5th last, you can’t throw another young D into that mix.
Making progress should be the goal at this point, no? You think another young D would help them improve in the standings? Let’s say for arguments sake they get Necas for Guhle. Necas produces as a top 6 forward and gets around 75 points. A safe bet. Matheson hits 60 ish. The Habs draft one of the top D at number 5. Then they trade Matheson at the deadline. I can see a better finish than 5th last, you get a legit top 6 forward and quite possibly draft an improvement on Guhle. Your D retains a vet while giving young guys more experience and you see what Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher can bring without rushing them.
Trading Matheson for an upgrade is progess

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If he was that good, they wouldn’t have had Harris or Struble in there instead of him. Or kovacevich. You’re saying there were too many young D-men yet you want to add another to the mix?
What are you talking about? I never wanted to add another D. Also, Barron vs Struble/Harris/Kova, they dont play the same role/style, and beside Kova, they dont technically play the same side.

Barron finish the season in the AHL pretty strong, he' not a top 4 RD, but he can play in the NHL now provided the expectation are tailored to what he can bring at this point in his career. RD are in short supply in the NHL, so if you can play in the NHL, you have value. And dont go off running saying I said he's worth a 1st, he's not, but he not worth nothing either.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
nope move him

go back and see how many of us posters were pissed at him during the year. sure he had good points, that is why you dangle him out there.
I'm probably his greatest detractor and yet I see no reason to move him at this point.
Part of the reason is I don't believe there will be a huge over payment for him like some do.
For the very reasons you mentioned he's a tire fire on many nights.
How much is a second pairing non PP1 guy worth because that is what he really is.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
That is like the anti-argument to trade him.

We are always wrong its fun and even become a good contrarian indicator.
Matheson is so good that we have 1 of the worst defense in the league. He's a part of the problem. Rather trade him now than getting peanuts when he's ufa. Maheson will not be part of this org when it's time to win.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I'm probably he greatest detractor and yet I see no reason to move him at this point.
Part of the reason is I don't believe there will be a huge over payment for him like some do.
For the very reasons you mentioned he's a tire fire on many nights.
How much is a second pairing guy non PP1 guy worth because that is what he really is.
again, not a 1st round pick back
Math and the peg pick would net you a solid young guy. I would have to think

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Who is going g to eat his mins if we trade him?
We have Guhle and Jackeye on the left. We can get a 1 year deal to veteran if needed. We act like Jackeye and Guhle are both 18.

Like it would make a difference defensively to have Matheson on he ice, i think we will upgrade defensively without Matheson in the lineup

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

It is in fact the reason why we should keep him. He will bring way more value in our line-up than in a trade, indeed barring the return but i strongly doubt he can get us a top 10 pick.

He is establishing himself as a top 20D league wide and he may make career high for another 4-5 years.
My POV on that is that he probably won’t repeat his career high, which was about double his career average output. I’d rather strike right away instead of risking a regression (think Montour).

Reactions: HabzSauce

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
People that love Matheson were also probably hyped about resigning Petry and Gallagher...
There is a time to trade people while they hold value and before they become an anchor.
I called it with those 2 and Anderson...and look at us now.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: habsfan891 and Wats

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
again, not a 1st round pick back
Math and the peg pick would net you a solid young guy. I would have to think
Do you or don't you believe HuGo made their bed with the post season press conference?
I'm not totally against it if the core group of guys are all on board.
The wrong move can just as easily cause a backlash and a regression with a young team even if it's only perceived to be one.
That is my one and only concern.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Matheson is so good that we have 1 of the worst defense in the league. He's a part of the problem. Rather trade him now than getting peanuts when he's ufa. Maheson will not be part of this org when it's time to win.

Suzuki and Caufield contract are running.

The time to run is now.

Matheson will give quality hockey for the duration of their contract (if we resign him)

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Do you or don't you believe HuGo made their bed with the post season press conference?
I'm not totally against it if the core group of guys are all on board.
The wrong move can just as easily cause a backlash and a regression with a young team even if it's only perceived to be one.
That is my one and only concern.
you have a point. but can Matheson have a career year again? can't see it

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

The time to run is now.

Matheson will give quality hockey for the duration of their contract (if we resign him)
My my Suzuki and Caufield just started their 8 years deal. Matheson will never be extended anyways. If giving us 5 turnovers a game and overplaying is good hockey quality, then perhaps the root of the problem is there.

You can't have a Matheson playing like that if u aim for playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
you have a point. but can Matheson have a career year again? can't see it
He doesn't need to. He simply has to play solid hockey like he does many nights when he isn't trying to be Paul Coffee.
His value would actually increase if he could do that. Having that ability to force the rush is a gift and he simply needs to understand when to unwrap it.
I don't like him on the PP but then again I didn't like Caufield much on the PP either their side was attacked aggressively all season long.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

The time to run is now.

What contract would you give Matheson on his next one? Let's say he regresses slightly next year, plays the same level of D. 40-45 pts. What's the term/AAV?

I would never re-sign this guy, but I'm curious on what you think he's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad