Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
SY needs to inject some actual talent into this roster.. I'm not saying he still can't or won't, but moves like this if true, coupled with every single one outside of Debrincat suggest that's not his MO(Kane was a free gift for 4 months)

Like Ghost? Getting guys who are skillled and dependable is probably going to be mostly a promotion from within, imo. The skill injection on the blueline is Ed. But I also think it's a skill to be able to go out, play 20+ minutes every night, and not have us begging for him to be off the ice. How many defensemen have we went through the past years where we were desperate just to see them not implode every third shift they took?

And none of this is to say that I don't think we look to add high end skilled players, they're just really hard to get. We're still being connected to Kane. We've been talked about being in the hunt for Stamkos. Neither may happen, but I don't think them signing elsewhere will have anything to do with the money given to Trouba.

He doesn’t eat tough minutes anymore. He was in free fall this year in New York and played himself onto the third pairing and apparently off of a contender to a bubble team.

he played 20+ minutes a night every single month this past season until march, which is when Trouba broke his ankle.

I just don't see anything in his deployment or numbers, until his broken ankle, that says the Rangers didn't trust the guy. My worry would be that the ankle can't be fixed and rehabbed to what it was before.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don’t want Roy or Trouba. I don’t want another player to come to Detroit whose credentials are “they did a layover if Detroit so basically a native”.
Roy is probably the top UFA d-man on the board, you're saying Detroit shouldn't have interest because he has Michigan ties but the 30 other teams are allowed to be interested?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Roy is probably the top UFA d-man on the board, you're saying Detroit shouldn't have interest because he has Michigan ties but the 30 other teams are allowed to be interested?
That’s more a reflection of how poor of a UFA pool this year has than his skill. I don’t think Roy is that good and he stands a big chance of under performing any contract he gets.

• Haha
Reactions: MagicMann13

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Admittedly I haven't watched much on Trouba since his time in Winnipeg, but how is his skating? Is he going to pinch and get caught down low like Petry most of last season?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Like Ghost? Getting guys who are skillled and dependable is probably going to be mostly a promotion from within, imo. The skill injection on the blueline is Ed. But I also think it's a skill to be able to go out, play 20+ minutes every night, and not have us begging for him to be off the ice. How many defensemen have we went through the past years where we were desperate just to see them not implode every third shift they took?

And none of this is to say that I don't think we look to add high end skilled players, they're just really hard to get. We're still being connected to Kane. We've been talked about being in the hunt for Stamkos. Neither may happen, but I don't think them signing elsewhere will have anything to do with the money given to Trouba.

he played 20+ minutes a night every single month this past season until march, which is when Trouba broke his ankle.

I just don't see anything in his deployment or numbers, until his broken ankle, that says the Rangers didn't trust the guy. My worry would be that the ankle can't be fixed and rehabbed to what it was before.

Honestly.. I think Trouba will join that list of dmen we hope not to implode and yet we keep going to that well(presumably)

While talent is of course difficult to acquire, teams do it...so how are they able to.. what are they doing. What do they have that we don't. It certainly can't be draft capital(picks or prospect's) given no team has drafted more than the DRW these last 6 years...

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Thanks Ricky I guess lhsgolf19 evaluation on defensemen speaks for itself.
I know everything lol but seriously I do think he'd be a solid partner for Simon for a couple years, brings some physicality alongside while Simon shows his skill.

His points each year are fascinating, they are all so damn close.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I try and make a habit out of not getting upset about things until they actually happen but hopefully this isn't true

Trouba was straight up awful this year

and before anyone brings up the broken ankle i'm not just talking about the Playoffs, he said he broke it in March and he was awful all year

I’ll say this in large enough font so maybe people understand the context.

He played a lot of games on a broken f***ing ankle.

Jacob Trouba - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

His most common partner was K’Andre Miller who is chaotic AF. Great physical tools but doesn’t have the mental part of defense down to be steady yet.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Understood. I don't think that even once healthy he would be decent here. At this point in his career I think he's a third pairing guy who, even with retention, would be getting paid like a second pairing guy.

Hard pass.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I literally said in the post you quoted that he was bad all year and that he himself said he didn't break the ankle till March

he wasn't having a good season that suddenly turned bad when he broke his ankle, he was already bad

maybe he goes to another team and turns it around a bit but I wouldn't count on it, and more to the point I don't think the Wings can afford to bring in someone like Matt Roy without totally tanking their offense if they're also bringing in Trouba

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honestly.. I think Trouba will join that list of dmen we hope not to implode and yet we keep going to that well(presumably)

While talent is of course difficult to acquire, teams do it...so how are they able to.. what are they doing. What do they have that we don't. It certainly can't be draft capital(picks or prospect's) given no team has drafted more than the DRW these last 6 years...

He might, but I think that's the positive with having only 2 years left on it. If he does suck, we're not shackled to him for 6 years. I'm not a huge Trouba fan, I just think his negatives are being way overstated and I don't think he's appreciably worse (or better) than most of the other guys we know are available. Though I do admit, considering how soft the wings have been at times, I do favor adding some physicality.

Honestly, and I know people are not going to like it, but a fair bit is dumb luck and circumstances. Control what you can control by accumulating the best pieces and building the best team possible, and hopefully things line up and you can make moves.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
I’m open to this move, but I don’t blame anyone for having reservations.
Yeah same. There may be some flags, but with only two years left on the contract, the risk is fairly low. I have a hard time getting mad about acquisitions with 1 or 2 years left.

If Trouba can kinda rebound a bit he could be a real nice partner for Ed. And honestly, I think Ed makes for a good partner for Trouba.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Jacob Trouba - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

His most common partner was K’Andre Miller who is chaotic AF. Great physical tools but doesn’t have the mental part of defense down to be steady yet.
I don't need a larger font but I will use all caps to say again.

HE IS ONE OF THE DIRTIEST PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE, HE INTENTIONALLY GOES OUT TO TRY (AND DOES) INJURE PLAYERS.

HE IS A SHELL OF HIS FORMAL SELF.

HARD PASS!!!!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama