Speculation: NYR & DET working on Jacob Trouba trade (Brooks)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yeah, they have Shesterkin and Quick. The idea is "Trouba has regressed to a 3rd pair defenseman who one could argue is a pylon. He makes $8.0m cap hit for 2 years. We're sending you two cap dump bad contracts with no prospects and MAYBE a draft pick for doing you the favour of taking on Trouba's terrible contract and cap hit".

NYR aren't looking at Husso as a goalie. He's just a negative value contract that they need to take on in order to get rid of Trouba. Then, they quickly move onto the next step, which is "how do we get rid of Husso?". That problem is way easier to solve than "how do we get rid of Trouba?". It's a one year deal for $4.75m. Just buy him out or pay a team a draft pick to take the contract. If you retain 50% on Husso, you can probably do Husso + 5th for a 7th rounder. That's not particularly painful.

OUT - Trouba and 5th rounder
IN - 7th rounder and 7th rounder and MAYBE a pick from DET
NOTE - retaining 50% on Holl (2 years) and 50% on Husso (1 year)

Rangers would just keep Trouba they won’t take that much in dumps

Retaining 2.5 is enough

Reactions: Rullailija

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think Holl being involved just makes too much sense.

Edvinsson - Seider
Maatta - Trouba
Johansson / Petry / Chiarot
injury callup = Wallinder

This looks like an improvement to me.

Maatta and Petry leave next summer.
Trouba and Chiarot leave the summer after that.
Seider Edvinsson Johansson stay for forseeable future.
They are joined soon by Wallinder, Buium and Sandin-Pelikka.

It just.... looks right. To me.
Whatever that's worth. Basically nothing. :skull:

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, they have Shesterkin and Quick. The idea is "Trouba has regressed to a 3rd pair defenseman who one could argue is a pylon. He makes $8.0m cap hit for 2 years. We're sending you two cap dump bad contracts with no prospects and MAYBE a draft pick for doing you the favour of taking on Trouba's terrible contract and cap hit".

NYR aren't looking at Husso as a goalie. He's just a negative value contract that they need to take on in order to get rid of Trouba. Then, they quickly move onto the next step, which is "how do we get rid of Husso?". That problem is way easier to solve than "how do we get rid of Trouba?". It's a one year deal for $4.75m. Just buy him out or pay a team a draft pick to take the contract. If you retain 50% on Husso, you can probably do Husso + 5th for a 7th rounder. That's not particularly painful.

OUT - Trouba and 5th rounder
IN - 7th rounder and 7th rounder and MAYBE a pick from DET
NOTE - retaining 50% on Holl (2 years) and 50% on Husso (1 year)

No.....this makes no sense.

DET would not be doing this trade if that's how they valued or saw Trouba.

Reactions: Vitto79

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All of those guys listed below were drafted by Ken Holland. Big difference between letting Hakan Anderson run your draft and Ken Holland relying on his North American scouts.
That doesn’t change a thing that they are complete unknowns and far from “home runs” yet

Debrincat publicly stated I will only sign and play for Detroit...while a great trade...it fell into SYs lsp
That doesn’t make it a fiasco.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
No.....this makes no sense.

DET would not be doing this trade if that's how they valued or saw Trouba.
DET probably thinking that he could still be a so-so #4/#5 guy with their roster, their coach and their system. You typically wouldn't say that out loud in a trade negotiation though. If most teams think Trouba is a pylon with no value, then you pretend that you think the same thing, or almost the same thing. No reason to admit out loud that you think he has value. Then you have to pay value to get him.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think Holl being involved just makes too much sense.

Edvinsson - Seider
Maatta - Trouba
Johansson / Petry / Chiarot
injury callup = Wallinder

This looks like an improvement to me.

Maatta and Petry leave next summer.
Trouba and Chiarot leave the summer after that.
Seider Edvinsson Johansson stay for forseeable future.
They are joined soon by Wallinder, Buium and Sandin-Pelikka.

It just.... looks right. To me.
Whatever that's worth. Basically nothing. :skull:
Trouba simply cannot play top 4 minutes on any team expecting to push for playoffs. There was a stretch in playoffs where he was on the ice for something like 10 straight goals against. He was fine a couple years ago but it seems that his whole persona changed when he started throwing big hits, and now its all he wants to do.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I like Trouba. I met him at a signing right after he got tue cast off. He couldn't have been nicer. He spoke with my son about tue Stadium Series puck he signed for him, they talked about the game etc..

I don't believe that his game has fallen off a cliff in less than 6 months. I just don't. He has been a solid guy in the locker room well before he was named Captain, and he has been a good captain.

This is a loss for the Rangers. Now Drury will look to replace Trouba with a player like Trouba.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I fully expected Holl back but no retention
For NYR it’s one or the other
Otherwise just keep Trouba
Trading his 8 million for 2 crap contracts that equal around the Same is pointless

if the Rangers retain 2.5m and take back Holl, they would clear 5.7m in cap space between Trouba and Goodrow.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I fully expected Holl back but no retention
For NYR it’s one or the other
Otherwise just keep Trouba
Trading his 8 million for 2 crap contracts that equal around the Same is pointless
The proposal I made earlier in the thread breaks down like this:

24/25 - NYR open $3.9250m in cap space (minus replacement 3RD cap hit)
25/26 - NYR open $6.3000m in cap space (minus replacement 3RD cap hit)
26/27 - Trouba contract is finished. Husso + Holl retention is finished.

It only cost a 5th round pick, and brought back two 7th rounders.

NYR is trying to be a cup contender. They need the cap space. I think it's worth it, and I don't think it's pointless at all. The only good argument I can see against it is if you truly think Trouba is worth getting actual value back for in a trade (not just cap space), and you don't like that this doesn't provide that.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That doesn’t change a thing that they are complete unknowns and far from “home runs” yet
No offense, but I'll take Hakan Andersson's drafting for the past 34 years over your opinion. If you can't tell the difference between his track record and track record of Detroit's North American scouts well then I honestly don't know what to say. Ken Holland gave the majority of his first round picks to his NA scouts and they turned out bangers like Filip Zadina, Joe Veleno, Michael Rasmussen, Dennis Cholowski, Evgeny Svechnikov, Anthony Mantha, Riley Sheahan, Thomas McCollum, Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl.

Sure, they drafted Dylan Larkin and deserve credit for that pick, but the hit rate is abysmal.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What does Goodrow have to do with this ?
He’s on San Jose In a separate move

Maybe this is all separated, or maybe it’s connected. What we do have right now is two very questionable moves between the three teams where the Rangers and then the Sharks seemingly got a great deal. Perhaps it was done this way to circumvent Goodrow’s NTC and the shoe is going to drop on the Rangers obligation to the Wings.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Trouba simply cannot play top 4 minutes on any team expecting to push for playoffs.
Holl can't either. At least Trouba provides leadership, experience, physicality, and for whatever reason, it's likely that Yzerman just likes him more. I don't think Trouba as 2RD is a good idea, but Holl as 2RD isn't a good idea either. If DET thinks it's a better fit, then they might pull the trigger. Regardless of how we view the wisdom of doing that.

There's always some hope / chance that some kid like Wallinder or Sandin-Pelikka shows up to camp and forces their way onto the team and pushes Trouba down the lineup.

(Wallinder) - Seider
Maatta - Edvinsson
Johansson/Chiarot - Trouba
Johansson/Chiarot - Petry

or

Edvinsson - Seider
Maatta - (Sandin-Pelikka)
Johansson/Chiarot - Trouba
Johansson/Chiarot - Petry

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If the rangers are retaining 2.5M and taking back a cap dump I don’t see how Detroit loses this deal. Trouba isn’t as good as he used to be and his gap control might be the worst in the league for a top-4 D, but he’s still serviceable.

Reactions: PelagicJoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad