HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think they'd be looking to trade Leonard (could be wrong). I floated Lapierre and McMichael twice in the thread a couple of times and no one engaged, though. Seems like they're not enticing enough names to want to talk about.

I can see us going for Lapierre. Quebec lad, in that age range that Hughes likes, and maybe a potential replacement for Dvorak. I know we have Beck coming but I doubt he makes the team next year.

Yeah, I don't think fans would give us the true indicator. Imagine proposing a PLD for Kuemper trade before it happened? Their fans would have laughed you off the thread.

Leonard is a grade A no doubt but it's a 2+ year solution for them. I think their ownership/GM has a different plan than what their fans think. Would they move Leonard? Not sure but he is their best piece to fill any holes. Now that they have added PLD and you look at their roster, you can see they have a 2 year compete window while Ovi chases the goal record.

If they make any more moves, I think they are after D.

Lapierre would be someone we would be interested in as well but he is closer to NHL ready than Leonard is. I think they would prefer to have Lapierre in that 2 years right? Leonard is a 2+ year solution IMO.

Reactions: BoneHutson

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yeah, I don't think fans would give us the true indicator. Imagine proposing a PLD for Kuemper trade before it happened? Their fans would have laughed you off the thread.

Leonard is a grade A no doubt but it's a 2+ year solution for them. I think their ownership/GM has a different plan than what their fans think. Would they move Leonard? Not sure but he is their best piece to fill any holes. Now that they have added PLD and you look at their roster, you can see they have a 2 year compete window while Ovi chases the goal record.

Lapierre would be someone we would be interested in as well but he is closer to NHL ready than Leonard is. I think they would prefer to have Lapierre in that 2 years right? Leonard is a 2+ year solution IMO.
My reasoning is that it is a bit similar to Newhook's situation when Colorado acquired Johansen. Right now, they have 4 C's competing for the top 3 spots (it looks like): PLD, Dylan Strome (who was their top guy last year and played pretty well for them), McMichael, and Lapierre.

They could always move someone over to the wing of course but I would assume if they drafted these guys as C's, they're more comfortable there and probably are more ideally fit to play there.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My reasoning is that it is a bit similar to Newhook's situation when Colorado acquired Johansen. Right now, they have 4 C's competing for the top 3 spots (it looks like): PLD, Dylan Strome (who was their top guy last year and played pretty well for them), McMichael, and Lapierre.

They could always move someone over to the wing of course but I would assume if they drafted these guys as C's, they're more comfortable there and probably are more ideally fit to play there.

I don't think the Caps are done tinkering. Should be interesting to see what moves they try and I think they will try to improve their D.

Savard would be a great fit for Sandin IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Friedman said over the weekend not to expect anything soon, there’s a lot of background stuff that needs to happen - I would think CBJ wishes to deal him before his July 1st bonus
Correct...another reason why the Blue Jackets are vulnerable when it comes to moving Laine.

There's an opportunity there for the Habs, on several fronts.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Caps are probably not done now that they added Dubois. They got a 2 year window with some many guys expiring after that.

* Matheson fits very well with Carlsson
* Savard fits very well with Sandin

What would it take to get Leonard? Would they bite on both Mateson and Savard (50% retention on one of them) with the Jets 1st?
Imo only if they got the feeling that Leonard doesnt want to sign (he still hasnt despite Smith and Gauthier being gone)

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

Matheson + 26 is definitely a great starting point. If you assume Matheson is worth a pick anywhere from 11 to 14, then you add 26, it brings the value close to 8 where WAS drafted Leonard last year.

Though Ill say this, if we do end up with Demidov, Leonard (as much as I like the player) wouldnt be my first target. We would need another top 6 C first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imo only if they got the feeling that Leonard doesnt want to sign (he still hasnt despite Smith and Gauthier being gone)

It is interesting because usually, Elite Prospects have them listed for their 24/25 season and with Leonard, his stats stop at last season. Were they trying to sign him? Any context into that?

A good target but who knows what they would ask for and if they like pieces like Matheson and Savard to help improve their D. Habs have other futures to tag on top of them.

Doubt it happens but would be nice to add Leonard to our pool.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Matheson + 26 is definitely a great starting point. If you assume Matheson is worth a pick anywhere from 11 to 14, then you add 26, it brings the value close to 8 where WAS drafted Leonard last year.

Though Ill say this, if we do end up with Demidov, Leonard (as much as I like the player) wouldnt be my first target. We would need another top 6 C first.

My pitch would be this for Leonard:
* Both Savard and Matheson (Matheson with 50% retention to make it even more attractive).
* Take back a cap dump no longer than 2 years (E Bear?)
* Add the Jets 1st and another piece if we have too.

Matheson / Carlson
Sandin / Savard
Alexeyev / Jenson or TVR

I am content with Suzuki, Dach and Beck/Kapanen coming (at center). Adding both Demidov and Leonard really does balance out our roster. We can look at drafting a center in the next draft.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Question for you guys.

Would you trade (A) Matheson + 1st (Winnipeg's pick) to move up to 10th overall?

or

Would you trade (B) Matheson for 1st round pick + young established player with potential who can step into your lineup right away?

If you were presented with both options, which would you take?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Question for you guys.

Would you trade (A) Matheson + 1st (Winnipeg's pick) to move up to 10th overall?

or

Would you trade (B) Matheson for 1st round pick + young established player with potential who can step into your lineup right away?

Depends on the "young established player". I'd err on the side of A though (even though that deal makes no sense for New Jersey).

Reactions: HankyZetts

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Depends on the "young established player". I'd err on the side of A though (even though that deal makes no sense for New Jersey).
I know, but just entertain me for a second lol

By young established player, someone like a Dach or a Newhook, from a team looking to take the next step.

Reactions: jaffy27

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Question for you guys.

or

Depends what young established player we are talking about.

Top 6F (think Kirby Dach) or top 4 D(think Ghule) with still some untapped potential? The young player. Otherwise, the pick.

Reactions: 417

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Matheson + 26th for 10th? Sign me up right now.

Leaving this draft with two good forwards. Or with one franchise d and a good forward is awesome.

Matheson is at his peak. And when our competitive window will open he will have started degrading. Sells high. Plus it open up a spot for one of our dman (hutson, reinbacher, mailloux) they need a spot. And Matheson takes the same time on ice than them on the powerplay. Plus Guhle can take more load.

Reactions: HankyZetts

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Leaving this draft with two good forwards. Or with one franchise d and a good forward is awesome.

Matheson is at his peak. And when our competitive window will open he will have started degrading. Sells high. Plus it open up a spot for one of our dman (hutson, reinbacher, mailloux) they need a spot. And Matheson takes the same time on ice than them on the powerplay. Plus Guhle can take more load.
so true
time to move Matheson on a high note

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Hughes would never do this.

At 10th overall, it's not a sure thing...meanwhile, Matheson IS a sure thing in terms of what he brings right now and the value in his contract.

At 10th overall...you could end up with a Mikko Rantanen or a Tyson Jost...or an Evan Bouchard or Slater Koekkoek...or a Valeri Nichushkin or a Nick Ritchie,

There's not a guaranteed hit rate with a 10th overall, I think because we're so close to the draft people are horny for that 2nd prospect, but the odds of even making that trade, nevermind walking out of a single draft with 2 impact players in the 1st round are extremely low.
Exactly...he's at his peak, so not sure why so many would be willing to essentially trade him when Dmen traditionally/historically, get an excellent return, for what is essentially a lottery scratch ticket.

Reactions: jrom and jaffy27

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hughes would never do this.

At 10th overall, it's not a sure thing...meanwhile, Matheson IS a sure thing in terms of what he brings right now and the value in his contract.

At 10th overall...you could end up with a Mikko Rantanen or a Tyson Jost...or an Evan Bouchard or Slater Koekkoek...or a Valeri Nichushkin or a Nick Ritchie,

There's not a guaranteed hit rate with a 10th overall, I think because we're so close to the draft people are horny for that 2nd prospect, but the odds of even making that trade, nevermind walking out of a single draft with 2 impact players in the 1st round are extremely low.

Exactly...he's at his peak, so not sure why so many would be willing to essentially trade him when Dmen traditionally/historically, get an excellent return, for what is essentially a lottery scratch ticket.
Lottery scratch tickets are fun.

Thing is, we can almost for sure buy a Berkly Catton ticket with 5OA, and possibly win the lottery with it, without trading Matheson or any other part of our core.

If Romanov plus the 98th got us 13OA, then Xhekaj and the 26th should get us something like the 10th, and the 10th will get us an Iginla or similar good forward, in the tier after Celebrini, Demidov and Catton. Or a potential franchise defenceman might fall to 10th.

Reactions: 417

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I don’t think they are trading Matheson for a pick unless it’s top 5 and that ain’t happening either.

If you carefully listen to KH, he’s talking about making progress and moving forward so trading Matheson PLUS a 26th pick for a 10 pick doesn’t really fall within his short term vision.

If Matheson goes, expect an NHL top 6 FWD coming back our way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad