HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
As Bookman would say, the Habs need to be all over McGroarty like a pit bull on a poodle.
View attachment 885911
Size and scoring is a need. This mgmt group has selected players with those attributes but that can also skate. McGroarty needs a lot and I mean a lot of work on his skating. I’d say we would be interested but not at the price of what Winnipeg will be asking considering the skating issues.

Reactions: mdk

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
An “elite goal scorer” for someone that hasn’t even scored more than 30 goals since 2017-18.
Some people call Caufield " elite goalscorer" yet he never scored 30 goals. Laine could be elite, just the probability is low nowadays.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Some people call Caufield " elite goalscorer" yet he never scored 30 goals. Laine could be elite, just the probability is low nowadays.
I keep seeing people post this premise and while it’s factually true, it’s also disingenuous. The guy had 26 in 46 when he was injured. Pretty sure we can acknowledge he would have had well over 30. At very least that statement needs an asterisk.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Because Laine asked for a trade and Columbus needs to find a way to move him without having to add too much since his value is near zero now with all his injuries, cap hit and personal problems that made him enter the player-assistance program.

He can't be traded until he's cleared of the player-assistance program which I don't think will happen before the draft anyway.
The guy has mental issues and you want him in Montreal lol ok.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For sure, but sounds self inflicted. Rumour was they told him they would do that and he expected it, and then they changed their minds and he wasn't okay with that. Have to keep your word.
If that's true, okay. But at the end of the day, I think other teams are looking at that and aren't happy with it. Moreover, why should a small number of games burn off a year? I suspect they'll get rid of this. We'll see.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Size and scoring is a need. This mgmt group has selected players with those attributes but that can also skate. McGroarty needs a lot and I mean a lot of work on his skating. I’d say we would be interested but not at the price of what Winnipeg will be asking considering the skating issues.
Who can skate though? Suzuki, Cole, Slaf, Dach, Roy aren’t exactly burners. So if they think the team is too slow, sure. But McGroarty seems to fit. He won’t be behind the play.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Who can skate though? Suzuki, Cole, Slaf, Dach, Roy aren’t exactly burners. So if they think the team is too slow, sure. But McGroarty seems to fit. He won’t be behind the play.
Aside Slaf, none of these players were selected by current management. So my point is exactly that, they would be wary of trading for someone with a skating deficiency consider your current roster is average on that record as well.

Although Suzuki is not quick his skating (edge work) is very good. McGrorty’s edges need work. Just my opinion that McGrorty is not the type of player they would be agressive on but will inquire to see what the price is.

Reactions: mdk

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Aside Slaf, none of these players were selected by current management. So my point is exactly that, they would be wary of trading for someone with a skating deficiency consider your current roster is average on that record as well.

Although Suzuki is not quick his skating (edge work) is very good. McGrorty’s edges need work. Just my opinion that McGrorty is not the type of player they would be agressive on but will inquire to see what the price is.
Well Dach was selected by this management. I guess my point is that McGroarty would fit. He might not fit on the Oilers or Avs, but I think with the Habs he doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I keep seeing people post this premise and while it’s factually true, it’s also disingenuous. The guy had 26 in 46 when he was injured. Pretty sure we can acknowledge he would have had well over 30. At very least that statement needs an asterisk.
Sure, then Laine scored 26G in 56GP for Columbus in 21-22 season. He would have 30 in 82 games season*.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Id offer much more than 26th ov for Laine.

He is big, an excellent complementary player that would fit like a glove our age window, needs and on the 2nd line. He would thrive in a hockey market. He has a good personality.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - X

Thats 3 huge player in the to6. If we can get Lindstrom/Demidov/Iginla/Sennecke thats another 6´0+ forward.

Reactions: Jaynki

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Caufield is young and is ascending….35+ goal seasons are clearly in his future.

What makes him elite is his ability to find open space and his release….the better this team gets, the bigger his goal totals will be.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton

He is big, an excellent complementary player that would fit like a glove our age window, needs and on the 2nd line. He would thrive in a hockey market. He has a good personality.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - X

Thats 3 huge player in the to6. If we can get Lindstrom/Demidov/Iginla/Sennecke thats another 6´0+ forward.
Just for the lols add Anthony Mantha and Rutger McGroarty.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Roy
Newhook - McGroarty - Mantha

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - X

yup please KH try for Laine when you can talk to him

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Staying healthy is part of the game. He can’t stay healthy.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Yeah but he didn’t get well over 30 and results are what actually matters

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sure but maybe they don't want to retain? Maybe even with retention the value they get for a “depreciated asset” won’t be as high as you think?

I’m not saying your wrong, I'm just advancing some reasons why I think it could make sense if the Habs and Blue Jackets made a trade in the context of a pick swap.

Swapping picks and as the incentive the Habs take all of Laine’s salary (on top of whatever package they would have sent to acquire Laine in the first place).

Oh agreed here, I'd be interested in taking that gamble since he's only signed for 2 years at 8.7M but I don't think the Blue Jackets are in a position of power as it relates to moving him.

- his salary
- injury history
- personal issues
- public trade demand

Are all significant factors that will affect his trade value.

All fair...

But it's amazing that some fail to appreciate what kind of skill and productivity Laine represents.

19th in goals/gp in the NHL (players with 200+ games) since 2016 when he entered the league, despite the injury issues and lost season last year... The elite scoring ability is proven.

While the injury & pap issues are obvious flags, he's only 26, and by all indications a good teammate who has improved his off ice habits since his late teens/early 20's.

There's risk, no doubt, but also a pretty massive reward, and one far more likely than what we gamble on successfully with Monahan.

Like Monahan :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All fair...

But it's amazing that some fail to appreciate what kind of skill and productivity Laine represents.

19th in goals/gp in the NHL (players with 200+ games) since 2016 when he entered the league, despite the injury issues and lost season last year... The elite scoring ability is proven.

While the injury & pap issues are obvious flags, he's only 26, and by all indications a good teammate who has improved his off ice habits since his late teens/early 20's.

There's risk, no doubt, but also a pretty massive reward, and one far more likely than what we gamble on successfully with Monahan.
Oh I’m with you here, I don't even think its that much of a gamble to be honest.

I'd be all for the Habs somehow managing to

A. Add Laine and take on his entire salary
B. Swap picks 4 and 5 with Columbus and ensure the Habs get the forward they want

As long as the cost to acquire Laine isn't prohibitive, I don't think the Blue Jackets are in a position to make demands for Laine like its 2020 anymore.

Count me in.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's had one injury. He was healthy throughout his minor league career and he just played 82 games.

The question is whether he can return to full health on that shoulder. He SHOULD be able to but if it goes as it did for others he probably won't be 100 percent until the season after this one. Even then though, I think we can expect 30 something goals at least.

Now Dach on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad