Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I know we are scarred by Myers of the past, but he played well for us last year and was invaluable in the playoffs.

That’s a decent discount he could have commanded more.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and rea

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I know it feels like Myers owed this team a bigger discount for being so overpaid on his last deal. The guy plays a premium position and brings the tools this coaching staff covets on the blue line. There's something to be said for familiarity too.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He was bad for 6mil. The bias is some sort of cost/value bias. Happens all the time once a player is getting overpaid. Suddenly they become completely bad a hockey even though if they were on a better deal, everyone would be losing their minds how great they are. It's wild. At 3mil, Myers is fine. If Myers was signed to 3mil for the last several years, no one would have batted an eye.

People also seem to think there's an infinite pile of defensemen available, that the ones that are would simply come for a ballpark number that works. Maybe Zadorov has priced himself out, who know what Tanev wants to do, etc. There's just a handful of capable dmen available and half the league vying for them.
He is prone to a lot of poor defensive plays also take a lot of bad penalties.

This is a high risk, low reward signing. If he regresses again, he is at best a #6 on a contender and $3M is way too much for that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I know it feels like Myers owed this team a bigger discount for being so overpaid on his last deal. The guy plays a premium position and brings the tools this coaching staff covets on the blue line. There's something to be said for familiarity too.

I dunno, he could maybe squeeze another $2.5M-$3M in total contract out of some team on a similar term if he truly went to market. Asking him to leave anything further on the table probably was a deal breaker. Otherwise he could walk off and make another cool $5M+ somewhere over the total contract.

He wasn't going to take 2x$2.25M or something here when he could walk off and make 3x$3.75M+ somewhere else.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is just about bang-on in terms of the money......there's no way there were getting Myers for less than $3m a season. The only thing a little surprising is the term--three more years. Not sure how this contract will age.

But so far most of the Canucks moves have been completely logical. Jettisoning Mikheyev's contract and re-upping Hronek, Blueger, Joshua and Myers were all pretty standard stuff.

Not sure where this leaves them with Zadorov......and obviously they'll be 'big game hunting' for a top-six winger to play with Pettersson. I know the 'insiders' are predicting a guy like Guentzel.....but just can't see how the Canucks could ever squeeze his salary under the cap.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I dunno, he could maybe squeeze another $2.5M-$3M in total contract out of some team on a similar term if he truly went to market. Asking him to leave anything further on the table probably was a deal breaker. Otherwise he could walk off and make another cool $5M+ somewhere over the total contract.

That's my take as well. I was thinking more like 4-5 million per year on the open market. Still a substantial discount.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That's my take as well. I was thinking more like 4-5 million per year on the open market. Still a substantial discount.

Yeah I think 3x$4Mish on the open the market sounds right. So he left around $3M over life of contract on the table to sign. Not sure you can ask much more without him being incentivized to leave. It's competitive for right-side defensemen in free agency.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I dont like that Myers was prioritized over these guys. If you strike out on big fish or Zadorov/Tanev then you go to Myers/Dillon.

I get the guys love him, but he's been a bad case of something you couldn't get rid of with a pill for most of his contract, even acknowledging his turnaround in the second half this year

I'm not sure they did prioritize Myers before Zadorov? There was an earlier rumour of them putting a $4.5m AAV in front of Zadarov before there was any smoke on Myers. He didn't take it.

It looks like Joshua, Myers and Blueger were prioritized because they all left money on the table. Zadorov chose not to.

Still, if they move another body, Zadorov still can be re-signed. Or, if they miss out on Guentzel/Reinhart, same thing. He just has to accept their AAV to come back.

Reactions: thefeebster

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not sure they did prioritize Myers before Zadorov? There was an earlier rumour of them putting a $4.5m AAV in front of Zadarov before there was any smoke on Myers. He didn't take it.

It looks like Joshua, Myers and Blueger were prioritized because they all left money on the table. Zadorov chose not to.

Still, if they move another body, Zadorov still can be re-signed. Or, if they miss out on Guentzel/Reinhart, same thing. He just has to accept their AAV to come back.
Well even the order of offers (which we don’t know) don’t tell the whole story. There were earlier reports of contract negotiations with Myers as were earlier reports of offers being made to Zadorov and Cole.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Said all year he would re-sign for a discount,and he did..Wanted to play in his home province.

Would have gotten a lot more in on the open market.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well even the order of offers (which we don’t know) don’t tell the whole story. There were earlier reports of contract negotiations with Myers as were earlier reports of offers being made to Zadorov and Cole.

You're right, we don't 100% know the exact order, but we do know who was offered more money earlier on.

It's up to you which signifies priority. To me, it's the players offered the most money. Regardless of whether the depth players are approached first in conversation.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He is prone to a lot of poor defensive plays also take a lot of bad penalties.

This is a high risk, low reward signing. If he regresses again, he is at best a #6 on a contender and $3M is way too much for that.
On the plus side, I don't think he's missed too many games due to injuries during his time as a Canuck.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

The rumours before were below 3M for Myers, that it would be 2.75 x 2 or 3 and then all of a sudden there were reports that “he wouldnt be taken advantage of” and there were stalls in the talks. I’m sure Myers could have gotten 3.5-4 on the market, but I would have been fine walking from him. He’s been trash for the majority of 6 years and robbed us blind on his last deal.

Out of all our FA’s hes the one I felt you lean on until he breaks or he walks and its fine.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Wonder what this means for Willander. At some point in the next 3 seasons are the Canucks going to run right side of Hronek-Myers-Willander? Blech.

If Willander is good enough what's wrong with that (for only one season possibly)? I think we buy Myers out the third year if necessary. Save $1.5 mil the third year and tack on an extra $677,667 for 2027-28. Cap projected $96 mil ... fwiw. Might mean we don't see Willander for two more years if we sign another RD.

Hronek
Roy
Myers/Willander

1719553581800.png

1719553722827.png

Hronek
Willander
Myers

The price is right if Willander can contribute in 2025-26. Really would help solve the OEL puzzle.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The rumours before were below 3M for Myers, that it would be 2.75 x 2 or 3 and then all of a sudden there were reports that “he wouldnt be taken advantage of” and there were stalls in the talks. I’m sure Myers could have gotten 3.5-4 on the market, but I would have been fine walking from him. He’s been trash for the majority of 6 years and robbed us blind on his last deal.

Out of all our FA’s hes the one I felt you lean on until he breaks or he walks and its fine.

That's a fair position. I'm no fan of Myers myself.

Still, it's that damned scarcity with RHDs where building redundancy on that side forces sub-optimal decisions. Beyond Chatfield, I don't think there was an equivalent proposition available, and so here we are. That's why they do it, imo.

It just looks like he was prioritized because he took something they found acceptable, while Zadorov refused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad