HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure about the UFA thing but the other 'benefits' the NCAA players enjoy come at the expense of the team. I'm all for player power and would prefer an open, European Soccer style free market with academies instead of restricted FAs and drafts... but that's neither here or there. The reality is such that the American Factor is a much more prominent problem than the so-called Russian factor.
Still not sure after I told you? Cheese is Price.

UFA = 27 years old or 7 accrued seasons. Which one is affected by a very short stint?

Thought so.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Isn't McGroaty a prospect himself?
He certainly wasn't going to take games away from players prepping for the post season.
Crying over nothing. Had Winnipeg been out of the playoffs he probably gets his game or two.
Not to mention I didn't find him all that impactful down the stretch.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Still not sure after I told you? Cheese is Price.

UFA = 27 years old or 7 accrued seasons. Which one is affected by a very short stint?

Thought so.
Playing even one game in the 23/24 season counts as a season doesn't it?

Ah -- just remembered, it has to be 10gp, right?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Putting Struble in the same category as Harris and Barron is killing me.
It's probably a make or break season for all three of them if you are looking at a long term fit with the Habs.
I'm not saying there isn't value there but huge decisions will have to be made by TDL in terms of our future Dmen.
There is a very good chance all of Mailloux Reinbacher Hutson and Engstrom are better.

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Basu suggested that Columbus trade the 4th overall and Laine to Montreal for 5th overall.

Thoughts?
What a dumb idea. Could you imagine Waddell pulling that as his first GM move and then whatever player Montreal picks becomes a superstar? It'll never happen.

Basu is the worst. I just can't listen to him ramble for minutes to basically say something that could have been said in 10 seconds.

Worst in the business.

I wish Godin would be able to just talk by himself for the podcast.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Being coerced to sign Hutson, Farrell, and others to end-of-season contracts which reduce their ELC years from 3 to 2 is a big part of the problem as I see it. I don't like ELC and RFA rules but American College players don't play by the same rules. See how Cutter Gauthier was furious at the Flyers for not signing him when he wanted? The Flyers did him dirty after with the media smear campaign but the problem was always Cutter wanting to get signed on his terms because he had leverage.

If I was a player agent I'd advise to maximise income and leverage as well tbf.
This will certainly get addressed in the next collective bargaining agreement.
They the majority of the NHLPA never or will never have that loophole expect it to be closed using severe restrictions of some sort.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have watched him a lot over the past several years. I am a NTDP season ticket holder, so watched him live for two years here in Plymouth. I am also a University of Michigan sports fan, so have watched several of his games there (especially during the NCAA and Big Ten tournaments). Finally, he's been a member of the USA U18 and U20 World Juniors teams.

Based on what I have seen, I would love it if the Habs could get McGroarty from the Jets. He would be a solid addition to the forward group, IMO. He's smart, can score, and isn't afraid to go in the dirty areas. Plus, he's been a leader with all the teams mentioned above.
I'm curious because I've only seen him in international play and a couple of games at season's end. I definitely liked his compete level but he didn't seem to be a speed merchant which may be something we don't see as a good fit on the wing for our top 6.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Basu suggested that Columbus trade the 4th overall and Laine to Montreal for 5th overall.

Thoughts?
That a hard choice. Like idea moving up but Laine at 8.7m for two more years. He's bad defensively and injury prone.

If he has decent season probably could retain on him get another asset at deadline. Get Jackets take Anderson back? That way we actually gain caproom.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014

Thoughts?
Make sure I'm reading this right. Columbus 4th overall pick and Laine for our 5th overall pick.....ah, I signed off on it yesterday. Cap will be an issue but I'm sure it can be figured out.

Reactions: DAChampion

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
What a dumb idea. Could you imagine Waddell pulling that as his first GM move and then whatever player Montreal picks becomes a superstar? It'll never happen.

Basu is the worst. I just can't listen to him ramble for minutes to basically say something that could have been said in 10 seconds.

Worst in the business.

I wish Godin would be able to just talk by himself for the podcast.
Yes, not very realistic idea. I think it was Godin's idea and Basu didn't seem to approve, if i remember correctly.

Those guys can ramble on. I admit i tune out sometimes listening to them.

Godin's english is pretty good but can be annoying sometimes with the constant auto-correction.

Reactions: Michoulicious

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why would Columbus entertain this?
Because Laine asked for a trade and Columbus needs to find a way to move him without having to add too much since his value is near zero now with all his injuries, cap hit and personal problems that made him enter the player-assistance program.

He can't be traded until he's cleared of the player-assistance program which I don't think will happen before the draft anyway.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
This will certainly get addressed in the next collective bargaining agreement.
They the majority of the NHLPA never or will never have that loophole expect it to be closed using severe restrictions of some sort.
This "loophole" exists for CHL players as well, although seldom or never used.
I am a CHL player who dreams of playing for Montreal. I get drafted by Detroit and after 2 years refuse to sign my ELC with them and re-enter the draft.
If I am not selected I am a UFA and free to sign with Montreal. If I am drafted again I wait the 2 years and am then free to sign with Montreal.
Just like the NCAA guys, if I am willing to wait 4 years with the risk of injury, I get to choose my destination.

Reactions: GrandBison

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Because Laine asked for a trade and Columbus needs to find a way to move him without having to add too much since his value is near zero now with all his injuries, cap hit and personal problems that made him enter the player-assistance program.

He can't be traded until he's cleared of the player-assistance program which I don't think will happen before the draft anyway.

I'm 10000 percent sure that Columbus will hold unto him post-draft if dealing him means they actually go down a spot in the draft.

I don't think that's a remotely realistic trade. We just watched a team acquire PLD's whole contract for a dump. I'm sure Laine won't get an insane return but I'm also sure Columbus can do a lot better than that proposal. It's already been reported that multiple teams are interested in talking to him IRCC.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It's probably a make or break season for all three of them if you are looking at a long term fit with the Habs.
I'm not saying there isn't value there but huge decisions will have to be made by TDL in terms of our future Dmen.
There is a very good chance all of Mailloux Reinbacher Hutson and Engstrom are better.
I think there's a good chance they get traded this summer, in the case of Barron and Harris.
Struble has only one year of experience and is still waiver exempt. I wouldn't say it's a make or break season for him. He still has time.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Make sure I'm reading this right. Columbus 4th overall pick and Laine for our 5th overall pick.....ah, I signed off on it yesterday. Cap will be an issue but I'm sure it can be figured out.
Why in the world would we make this trade?No real difference between 4th and 5th pick and we are taking on a guy with an 8.5 million for 2 years salary .Whats worse is he is injury prone and has mental health issues.Absolutely not for this deal unless they are taking someone back with a similar salary Gally or whoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad