HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
"What, Patrick Laine for free? Lemme check. No sorry, we have Michael Pezzetta and Rafael Harvey-Pinard on the roster and we absolutely need them. And no way we're letting Jesse Ylonen go".
It's not about not liking Laine, it's choosing better options if we have that possibility on the trade market. Laine is costing 8.7M per season and he can barely stay healthy in the last few seasons in CLB. I would prefer if KH try to target players like Necas, Zegras or even Ehlers ahead of Laine.

Of course, if the only possible deal left on the table is Laine, I would gladly take that chance instead of playing RHP or even Pezzetta.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's not about not liking Laine, it's choosing better options if we have that possibility on the trade market. Laine is costing 8.7M per season and he can barely stay healthy in the last few seasons in CLB. I would prefer if KH try to target players like Necas, Zegras or even Ehlers ahead of Laine.

Of course, if the only possible deal left on the table is Laine, I would gladly take that chance instead of playing RHP or even Pezzetta.

Zegras/Necas will cost far more than Laine. We aren't getting Zegras without giving up Guhle or something close to that.
We could probably get Laine for a late 1st round pick or something lesser than that.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Anton Lundell upcoming RFA would love to get him for the right price, a solid 3rd line C on the Panthers.
No way they trade him in my opinion. He is the 2C once reaching maturity. Barkov Lundell Bennett is a great center depth.

Can't see Buffalo trading him, he's part of the solution there, not part of the problem.
Well on the other hand BUF traded Oreilly to STL, Eichel to VGK. Both were to win a SC within two years. Just saying… ;)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Imo that is not the case. Remove Matheson and Savard…. We have Guhle who is the only proven top four LD and yet is facing injuries….Hutson? tbd. Mailloux- hopefully top four but not top pairing. Reinbacher perhaps top paring RD. The rest is bottom pairing. We would not be at a loss picking another defensive stud.

Agreed. It takes high IQ to play for MSL. Anderson doesn’t have that

To me MSL will have to ask more structure from his bottom 6. It makes sense to leave a lot of freedom to your best players if they have good hockey IQ, but maybe more stucture is needed for your bottom 6.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's not that I have someone specific in mind but let's just say Habs land Lindstrom or demidov at 5. Then at 7/8, they pick up a Iginla/Sennecke, etc. That would finish any need for another top piece. Defence is set. Goaltending is hopefully set with Fowler. They already have 5/6 pieces minimum in the top 6 going forward if you include the 5th pick. They have good depth prospect wise that could help fill out a future bottom 6 in Beck, Roy, xhekaj, etc.

The risk of being like the sharks in 2020 is there but the gamble is that or finishing the acquisition part the rebuild entirely right now
It is possibility. Maybe at 11 or 12 though. Keep our pick next year.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
So the roster forward right now is :
CC Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Dach Roy
RHP Dvo Armia
Gallagher Evans Anderson
Pezzetta (Ylonen out)

Ideally you want Newhook Roy on line 3, and two top 6 players to play with Dach. I don t see anyone in the prospect pool able to jump in the top 6. Carrying 14 forwards on a 23 player roster means you put RHP as a 14th forward. It means Hughes needs to trade one winger or a center (if Newhook plays 3C). Armia, Dvorak are on the last years of their contracts so they should be easily tradeable. Gallagher is stuck here at 6.5m for three more years.

The issue is Anderson : if you play him 4th line he ll never improve his value and you ll also be stuck with him for 3 years.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
If somehow Hughes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring two top 6 players at the draft we are making the playoff next season. Laine would not be that expensive and we have the assets to land Zegras.

Caufield-Suz-Slaf
Laine-Zegras-Dach
Roy-Newhook-Gallagher
Evans-Dvo-Anderson

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Thats leave us many pieces to complete the trades.
Win 1st pick-Calgary 1st pick-Our 2rd pick-Strubble-Harris-Our 1st next season top 5 protected

• Haha
Reactions: Legend123

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Wouldn't using the strawman fallacy to repudiate an argument be a fallacy in itself? Also, if you require him to state his qualifications to validate his arguments, wouldn't you also need to do so to refute them? Also, using this logic to counter his argument attacks his qualifications, not his argument. Finally, stating past arguments that were wrong does not make this one also wrong.

I dont really care about who is right and dont wish to weigh in between you two, i just thought the comment was odd.
Please take your argument offline. It’s annoying and boring.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
To me MSL will have to ask more structure from his bottom 6. It makes sense to leave a lot of freedom to your best players if they have good hockey IQ, but maybe more stucture is needed for your bottom 6.
That’s a fair ask. The bottom six is more defensively relied on. With so many games( around 22 I think) that ended by one goal diffeeences, we could see a huge uptick in points with more experience and a little more structure

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I know this is the "trade thread" and trades are fun, but I believe the prudent thing to do is practice a little more patience. One more year to give everyone a better look and see what we really have in Dach, Newhook, Barron, et tal... We've done a great job I believe in doing this rebuild thus far, I know it's hard at times for fans, but I want to see it through and not possibly derail it by jumping ahead too quickly like other teams have done on numerous occasions.

Next season is when we want to start putting our chips on the table, after we get a clearer picture of what this team really looks like, when healthy and with 1 more year under it's belts. Even Slaf who looks as promising as one can look, still has question marks as to what he really is going forward.

Now is not the time to step on the accelerator. If we can make moves that make sense as a fit for this team, both to it core and financially then sure, by all means go for it, but other than that, it's status quo IMO.

I personally am not moving Matheson unless we're getting a core piece back, period. We need him as much as anyone on this team, atleast for this upcoming season. You literally can't replace what he brings on and off the ice at that cap hit.
Good post. I also think the coming season is for evaluation. Many question marks. The first for me is dach. If he misses most of a season again I think he should be written off. He is so key to this rebuild and that would be a real blow.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Putting prospects with your best players is how they improve. It’s always been that way. You aren’t “throwing them to the wolves” you’re improving their chance of success. Both Slaf and CC improved immediately when moved to the first.

Do you think Roy will have a better shot at success with Dach and Suzuki or Evans and Armia?

There are only two prospects because our other prospects have graduated to impact players. Cc,Slaf have already had really good success. Dach has played well when healthy and the same goes for Newhook. It’s a good young nucleus of forwards and we have another one we’re about to draft. As it is Newhook will probably get knocked to the third line within a year or two.

We’ve got six guys who can do the job now. Some who need time in the top six to develop. It’s a complete waste to “marinade” Roy on the third line.
I would not give up on newhook. I think he could blossom. He’s damn fast and that is hockey.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Laine is low risk high reward. Not sure why we wouldnt do it. His contract expires this year, can be moved at deadline, etc. And maybe he puts up numbers under players coach.
There aren't many *known players available that id be interested in acquiring this year, but I would be down for Laine. Definitely moreso than Zegras and Necas.

2 years is perfect length too. And wouldn't cost much I don't think. Gives us enough time to see if he can bounce back and worst case if he doesn't, he's gone.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd take it, this is probably the best case scenario with him.
Habs don't have many forwards that can PK. Suzuki/Evans/Armia/Dvorak are pretty much the only ones who can do it regularly and effectively. Unless we add someone who can fill that role, I don't think we'd trade Dvorak until closer to the deadline.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Habs don't have many forwards that can PK. Suzuki/Evans/Armia/Dvorak are pretty much the only ones who can do it regularly and effectively. Unless we add someone who can fill that role, I don't think we'd trade Dvorak until closer to the deadline.
RHP was one of the most used fwds on PK the past 2 seasons (5th in minutes, 4 in per game pk usage)

I bet Josh Roy starts getting some time there this year as well.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Boisvert threw out the name Alex Turcotte as a potential trade target for Kent Hughes as one of those possible young reclamation projects that Kent likes to do. Injuries have derailed his development thus far, but he was highly touted in the 2019 draft, another thing Hughes likes to target.

Would any of you be interested or find this to be a worthwhile gamble, and at what cost?

Interesting trade proposal emerges between the Canadiens and the Kings

Last edited:

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Matheson is the one to trade. There’s just no universe where he repeats his numbers from last season. His value is as high as it can get.

Hugo needs to pounce on that value.

Reactions: BoneHutson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Boisvert threw out the name Alex Turcotte as a potential trade target for Kent Hughes as one of those possible young reclamation projects that Kent likes to do. Injuries have derailed his development thus far, but he was highly touted in the 2019 draft, another thing Hughes likes to target.

Would any of you be interested or find this to be a worthwhile gamble, and at what cost?

He turned 23 in February and had so so AHL stats for his age. I would not classify him as a reclamation project anymore but more as a hail mary pass.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

I suggested his name in this thread sometimes ago and the consensus seems to be disgust about Turcotte.

See #3,186

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad