HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Filip Hronek, who just signed a 8 year 7.25M/yr deal with the Canucks a few days ago, was traded by the Wings to the Canucks for a 1st round pick + 2nd round pick, at the time he was having a career year with 38pts.

Sure, he was a bit younger then, but he like Matheson is far from a perfect Dman in his own zone...

I continue to repeat it, but the way some folks just toss Matheson aside like he has no value is complete madness.
If Matheson in 24-25 maintained his point pace of last year, while his +/- reverted to positive as it was in 22-23, he would get Norris votes, but not from our writers.

people are hungry for some action. Can't blame them to hit anything that as a pulse. I was the same with girl when I was a teenager lol.
2 years versus 7 years.

Much lower acquisition cost.

Higher goal upside with Laine.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We were talking Dillon to NJD, not to Habs. The context was that NJD is targeting LHD defensive minded D and we might have some pieces here :)

Holtz or Mercer would be interesting pieces if you are building the trade aorund Struble.
Struble has little trade value. He was playing replacement level hockey most of the time last season.

There's no universe where he's the main piece in a trade for Mercer.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Can Laine be worse than Dvorak ? I know Smiley Dvorak is popular among his teamates and was quite good on faceoffs, but otherwise…. I think a Laine-Dach-Toffoli (or Roy), could be a very good second line.
agreed
if KH can pull this off

The same posters that wanted PLD want Laine now :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

When will you guys learn
Laine is not that bad as PLD... give the guy a chance.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Struble has little trade value. He was playing replacement level hockey most of the time last season.

There's no universe where he's the main piece in a trade for Mercer.
Struble is a 2nd rounder who panned out well and plays playoff style of game. Remember this was his first pro season and he just turns 23. He has at least the same value as our late 1st draft pick.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The same posters that wanted PLD want Laine now :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

When will you guys learn
I reckon it's the same people who want to upgrade the roster as much as possible in opposition the same people who insist that every possible upgrade is not worth it, too expensive, too soon, not 'the silver bullet', not 'the magic pill', and every other miserable excuse they can can muster!

We were not real contenders at any point for the past 20+ years. God forgive the fans who want to be in on NHL talent and part of the excitement that comes with building a winning team... rooting for losses is much better, I guess?

Reactions: Jaynki

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I reckon it's the same people who want to upgrade the roster as much as possible in opposition the same people who insist that every possible upgrade is not worth it, too expensive, too soon, not 'the silver bullet', not 'the magic pill', and every other miserable excuse they can can muster!

We were not real contenders at any point for the past 20+ years. God forgive the fans who want to be in on NHL talent and part of the excitement that comes with building a winning team... rooting for losses is much better, I guess?
HAHAHA

ya like we want to lose forever and the players on the team the same. good points

Reactions: Miller Time

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
HAHAHA

ya like we want to lose forever and the players on the team the same. good points
It feels like it

This off-season for the first time in a long time we've had multiple upper-mid-tier forwards rumoured as available: Necas, Zegras, Laine, etc. And guess what? The same miserly voices poo-pooed the notion of acquiring every single one of them! Prices were too high during 10 years of Bergevin as well. Nothing's changed.

Don't tell me you haven't noticed the pattern. It's psychological at this point.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It feels like it

This off-season for the first time in a long time we've had multiple upper-mid-tier forwards rumoured as available: Necas, Zegras, Laine, etc. And guess what? The same miserly voices poo-pooed the notion of acquiring every single one of them! Prices were too high during 10 years of Bergevin as well. Nothing's changed.

Don't tell me you haven't noticed the pattern. It's psychological at this point.
we all have talked for a long time that KH cant keep all these picks and d men.
So KH will have to make a move and that is life. Suzuki and company want to win, KH will help that out. win the cup? No. But start winning games is the key here

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
If Matheson in 24-25 maintained his point pace of last year, while his +/- reverted to positive as it was in 22-23, he would get Norris votes, but not from our writers.
If people are giving Matheson Norris votes based on the above criteria, they should have their voting rights revoked. He was 9th in Defenseman scoring and is, let's be honest, very much a one-way, offensive defenseman. Many of the guys above him play both sides of the puck and i'd take quite a few guys below him that also play better D.

He's a good player with obvious trade value, but he is not a Norris caliber player no matter what his +/- says.

I do like that you stated "Not from our writers" though. I am guessing this implies we know better?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
we all have talked for a long time that KH cant keep all these picks and d men.
So KH will have to make a move and that is life. Suzuki and company want to win, KH will help that out. win the cup? No. But start winning games is the key here
I've proposed to trade Guhle for a forward and to use the 5OA to draft one of the very good LD prospects. Poo-pooed, Guhle is too good to trade. Okay, so who? Xhekaj? Gotta keep him, he's special. Matheson -- have you seen how many people are adamant that Matheson, the potential Norris winner, must be retained? Barron? Can't trade Barron, he's on the cusp.

It's like this with everything and every option.

I hope to see KH make a move but there are 31 other teams and most of them will make moves because they don't have the infinitely patient, infinitely supportive, infinitely reliable customers the Habs have. If the Ducks or Bolts or Stars dog it for as long as the Habs have dogged it they lose revenue. If these teams ice boring, drab, dour, miserly rosters for year after year like the Habs have they lose fan interest. The Habs have correctly learned that their conservatism doesn't harm them so you shouldn't expect anything risky from the Habs organization that's for damn sure.

I can accept that but I can't accept the fans pushing for this hyper-conservatism themselves. What's the point? Isn't this all meant to, at some level, offer entertainment?

Why can't we on this fan forum dream in technicolor?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If people are giving Matheson Norris votes based on the above criteria, they should have their voting rights revoked. He was 9th in Defenseman scoring and is, let's be honest, very much a one-way, offensive defenseman. Many of the guys above him play both sides of the puck and i'd take quite a few guys below him that also play better D.

He's a good player with obvious trade value, but he is not a Norris caliber player no matter what his +/- says.

I do like that you stated "Not from our writers" though. I am guessing this implies we know better?
bodes well for KH to move him for a good price

Reactions: Eegs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I've proposed to trade Guhle for a forward and to use the 5OA to draft one of the very good LD prospects. Poo-pooed, Guhle is too good to trade. Okay, so who? Xhekaj? Gotta keep him, he's special. Matheson -- have you seen how many people are adamant that Matheson, the potential Norris winner, must be retained? Barron? Can't trade Barron, he's on the cusp.

It's like this with everything and every option.

I hope to see KH make a move but there are 31 other teams and most of them will make moves because they don't have the infinitely patient, infinitely supportive, infinitely reliable customers the Habs have. If the Ducks or Bolts or Stars dog it for as long as the Habs have dogged it they lose revenue. If these teams ice boring, drab, dour, miserly rosters for year after year like the Habs have they lose fan interest. The Habs have correctly learned that their conservatism doesn't harm them so you shouldn't expect anything risky from the Habs organization that's for damn sure.

I can accept that but I can't accept the fans pushing for this hyper-conservatism themselves. What's the point? Isn't this all meant to, at some level, offer entertainment?

Why can't we on this fan forum dream in technicolor?

This feels like an incredibly reductive interpretation of multiple different opinions, but:

-Guhle being traded for a forward would set Montreal further back in the near term, which is counterproductive if the goal is to win now. You also don't need to trade him to take a D, Montreal's prospect pools isn't so strong
-Xhekaj isn't going to return a difference maker at forward.
-Matheson isn't going to return a Zegras/Necas difference maker at forward AND his role is incredibly hard to replace if the goal is to be competitive now.

I also think you're overestimating how conservative most on here are.

And I'm sorry, but Ducks, Bolts AND Stars have "dogged it" for longer stretches of time than the Habs ever have. What those teams know is that you need star talent to win and there generally has to be pain to get them. Whereas Montreal was previously perfectly content with being mediocre as long as they could sell being "competitive" and making the playoffs where "anything can happen".

You can dream in whatever shades you want, but patience and being realistic is a virtue for where Montreal is. That doesn't mean they're being conservative (making trades for the likes of Dach and Newhook certainly isn't that).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This feels like an incredibly reductive interpretation of multiple different opinions, but:

-Guhle being traded for a forward would set Montreal further back in the near term, which is counterproductive if the goal is to win now. You also don't need to trade him to take a D, Montreal's prospect pools isn't so strong
-Xhekaj isn't going to return a difference maker at forward.
-Matheson isn't going to return a Zegras/Necas difference maker at forward AND his role is incredibly hard to replace if the goal is to be competitive now.

I also think you're overestimating how conservative most on here are.

And I'm sorry, but Ducks, Bolts AND Stars have "dogged it" for longer stretches of time than the Habs ever have. What those teams know is that you need star talent to win and there generally has to be pain to get them. Whereas Montreal was previously perfectly content with being mediocre as long as they could sell being "competitive" and making the playoffs where "anything can happen".

You can dream in whatever shades you want, but patience and being realistic is a virtue for where Montreal is. That doesn't mean they're being conservative (making trades for the likes of Dach and Newhook certainly isn't that).
We aren't conservative. Fans just want to properly rebuild like everybody else in the league gets a chance to do. Why rush into our Deharnais Plekanecs mediocrity era 2.0 when we can still accumulate assets through the draft while building the team up slowly.

Reactions: Kosseca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad