HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So now you're trying to imply that Caufield has character issues?

Lol....
You clearly don't have a clue what I'm implying So stop trying to speculate.
My stance is very clear Laine is not even close to what I want in a top 6 addition.
You seem to think otherwise which surprises me. You are generally more astute.
If you think Laine is a good option for us you aren't as bright as I thought you were.
I would rather have Trevor Zegras and I don't like him at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
So a 2 spot move up in the draft (mid round) is worth an extra second?

That would be equal to like Hughes moving from 26th to 23rd for Struble basically.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Trading our pick with colombus seems pretty useless. Either Colombus want the same player we want, they will draft him or they go a different direction and we can draft the player we want. They wont trade us their pick for us to steal the player they are looking to draft, it make no sense
Our guy,, may not be their guy....................hence we don't know that, and they get an asset for nothing..............two ways to slice that cake.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Some people can't get over draft position
Newhook & Kakko are the same age.

From a scoring/production pov, Kakko's best season > Newhook's best season, including 18g at ES.

Ignoring draft position and looking just at NHL performance thus far...

I'm curious how a 23year old with 300 NHL games under his belt & averaging 15g/82 games in that time (with limited pp or top 6 usage) is viewed as being destined to a bottom 6 role?

The top 6 skills and talent are clearly there. Wether or not he can translate them is certainly a question... But I don't see the case for being certain it's not there. I think Newhook absolutely has quality top 6 upside that is yet untapped, Kakko appears to be at least as, if not more versatile.

Easy yes for me to targetting him if the Rangers do sell low for cap reasons... And not because of his draft status.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Is is just me or is this not the dumbest trade?

Also, why make these trades to move up/down a few spots now when you don’t even know who’s gonna be available ?

I think getting the extra 2nd was the target....probably looking at some guys, not only 1st round pick matters. Ask Lane Hutson......

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
400k, but if you consider Price on LTIR it is 10,9M actually. No problem for Hughes to accept the whole contract which would definitely lower the acquisition costs in potential trade.
In order to maximize that LTIR the Habs need to be under the cap at the start of the season, so the Habs only have that little bit of cap space, which means they likely go over trying to make additions to the team, or just by signing Xhekaj and some depth pieces.

That deal also limits their cap space for next offseason, which could potentially have Rantanen, Draisaitl, Slavin, etc. Could, but if they do make it...

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Also, why make these trades to move up/down a few spots now when you don’t even know who’s gonna be available ?
Lou's gonna Lou.

Very weird trade. Not sure if I've seen something like it this far away from draft time.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Adding assets for bigger deals would be my guess.

I think this is more the first of a few move by Chi to get a 2nd pick in the top 12 or so. I think they dont want to chose between Demidov and a D... they'll try to get both
Or Levshunov and Iggy/Catton/Eiserman.

could be anything

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Playing in a toxic room with winnipeg and a boring hockey city like columbus, id probably be tired of playing hockey rn. Not making excuses, but Laine is one helluva sniper, playing in a passionate city like ours and playing with Dach might unleash the old Laine. If the jackets retain some salary, id try my luck with Laine. I remembered some people were mad that we traded romanov/13oa for dach.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Playing in a toxic room with winnipeg and a boring hockey city like columbus, id probably be tired of playing hockey rn. Not making excuses, but Laine is one helluva sniper, playing in a passionate city like ours and playing with Dach might unleash the old Laine. If the jackets retain some salary, id try my luck with Laine. I remembered some people were mad that we traded romanov/13oa for dach.
Meh id pass on him. Is he really worth the risk?

Reactions: Runner77

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
What Montreal needs is players who get scratched in the playoffs. That'll push us right over the edge and into contention.
IDK, I am just watching the 1st game, In 2nd period. Ranger have just 10 shots, but Kakko created 2 scoring chances, works hard along the boards and responsible defensive. Absolutely no reason to scratch him.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
IDK, I am just watching the 1st game, In 2nd period. Ranger have just 10 shots, but Kakko created 2 scoring chances, works hard along the boards and responsible defensive. Absolutely no reason to scratch him.
If Kakko was cheap to acquire then id bite

Edit: on 2nd thought Id pass. Id rather play Roy in that place

Reactions: Runner77

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Adding assets for bigger deals would be my guess.

Or Levshunov and Iggy/Catton/Eiserman.

could be anything

Fait enough. I mean the idea is the same, pool your assets toward the top of the draft. I actually prefer you idea... more chance one of Demidov or Lindstrom is available at 5 lol

Reactions: General Fanager

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

From a scoring/production pov, Kakko's best season > Newhook's best season, including 18g at ES.

I'm curious how a 23year old with 300 NHL games under his belt & averaging 15g/82 games in that time (with limited pp or top 6 usage) is viewed as being destined to a bottom 6 role?

The top 6 skills and talent are clearly there. Wether or not he can translate them is certainly a question... But I don't see the case for being certain it's not there. I think Newhook absolutely has quality top 6 upside that is yet untapped, Kakko appears to be at least as, if not more versatile.

Easy yes for me to targetting him if the Rangers do sell low for cap reasons... And not because of his draft status.
That is a lot of words to prop up a guy who broke 25 points once in his 5 seasons career.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Newhook be next Trochek

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Reminder that Edmundson was also in the press box for STL cup run. Bergevin thought that Edmundson could play top minutes . We know how it ended

Lou needs to retire for 2 spots only wtf

Lou's gonna Lou.

Very weird trade. Not sure if I've seen something like it this far away from draft time.

Lou got an extra 2nd for moving back 2 spots in the first and 4 in the 2nd. Seems like a pretty good trade to me.

Chances are pretty high NYI can still get both the guys they planned at their original picks plus get another late 2nd.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Apparently it's looking like Kakko will be a healthy scratch tonight.

He could be an intriguing buy low option this summer if the rumors of the Rangers not wanting to trade with us aren't t

Apparently it's looking like Kakko will be a healthy scratch tonight.

He could be an intriguing buy low option this summer if the rumors of the Rangers not wanting to trade with us aren't true.
I think Dorofeyev has more upside than Kakko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad