Confirmed with Link: Trade: Pierre-Luc Dubois to Washington for Darcy Kuemper… the trade is one for one

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just reading through this after being out since the trade. I like the swing.

PLD could be a legit 1C and has great size at 6’4 225. Perfomed at 40-60 pts. Can Carbs and the room get him to 80? Could be a problem, Upside is better.

Lappy, Miro, Milano, Strome, Sandin (to some extent) were all swings. Now looking good and PLD could be next.

GMBM has missed a few as well but I like the moves. I like the decisive move. He just said he wants to play. I expect more moves.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Does anyone have a fairly unbiased analysis of all the major roster moves GMBM has made over the years? What's his hit and miss rate?

I know it's subjective but I think when dealing with unknowns, and people, you can probably expect somewhere between coin flip and 75% or so for a decent GM.

The reason I say coin flip as the floor is the fact that so many prospects don't make it in the NHL. Do 50% of draftees "work out" for their teams? Usually not.

And we've had at least a decade of official "fancy stat" application by NHL teams yet nobody has run away from the pack based on analytics domination.

That suggests at least some skill involved in negotiating that minefield of players drafted by your team AND everyone else, and not coming up with shit on your face.

To me that means a relatively skilled front office is going to identify players that MIGHT develop into something if XYZ all happen, and then it's out of their hands.

The ones who are good at it maybe lose control after the fact or get it wrong from time to time. The ones who are really good are going to beat random chance but are not going to be perfect.

So my point here is I would bet GMBM falls somewhere close to the "really good" category when compared to GMs around the league, but our own biases prevent us from seeing that, and many of us only focus on the busts while expecting perfection.

PLD is a big fat coin flip, but GMBM trusts Carbery to make a good toss.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
54 Trades since hired

All Trades

interesting to see some of the names drafted by picks the caps traded, granted no way to know caps management would have also picked those players.

Shesterkin
Tage Thompson

Reactions: Misery74

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
54 Trades since hired

All Trades

interesting to see some of the names drafted by picks the caps traded, granted no way to know caps management would have also picked those players.

Shesterkin
Tage Thompson
Those are kinda the only two meaningful names tho... and both were drafted when the Caps were still trying to go all-in.

obviously some trades you regret in that list, but also some terrific ones and some others, like Shattenkirk, that made perfect sense at the time but just didn't work out.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As crappy as his 40 points were last year his performance wasn't comparable to Kuzy
I don't understand a ton about fancy stats, but it might also be worth also looking at JFresh's cards for PLD at the beginning and middle of last season--which was the worst season of his career, on a team he was apparently a terrible fit for in the first place (it seems like LA fans thought it was a bizarre use of trade capital and cap space at the time, when the team had more pressing needs than another center), and on which he was subject to a ton of scrutiny due to the massive contract he was given, but also (arguably) mismanaged and poorly utilized (in no small part due to his own lackadaisical effort, obviously).

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I’m ok with this trade. It obviously does warrant some concern.

And I don’t care what anyone says, that Erat trade is the worst trade this franchise has ever made, and this one doesn’t even come close to that sack of shit trade.
I remain embarrassed by but own up to trying to justify that trade for a few weeks until I saw Erat's mouthpiece and quickly started recognizing I put lipstick on a chewed up nasty mouthpiece. Erat getting trucked by Ovi sealed his fate (only scored 13 goals the rest of his career!); no other cap was dumb enough to get in Ovi's way. I had never seen a player get injured while committing a hooking penalty. 2 goals in 62 games here. I won't post Forsbergs stats this time around.

I am warming up to the PLD trade but its clear he doesn't like to play within structure / defense. Tough task for Carbs - time to pull out the lipstick. That's BMac in my Advatar.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I can see this trade going one of two ways. It could be a repeat of the underwhelming Mantha trade with Detroit or it could be BMAC's 2015 Oshie trade all over again.

Either way, Kuemper was a Free Agent signing so we basically got PLD for nothing (of course there's his contract), whereas it cost the Kings Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari and a 2nd round draft pick. Vilardi's a former first round pick who's scored 20+ goals the past two seasons, Kupari's also a former first round pick.

Now I must admit that I've had the crazy thought of BMAC resigning Mantha on the cheap and place him on the line with PLD centering and Lapierre on the LW. This way we could have the French Connection Part Deux or French Connection Redux.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I can see this trade going one of two ways. It could be a repeat of the underwhelming Mantha trade with Detroit or it could be BMAC's 2015 Oshie trade all over again.

Either way, Kuemper was a Free Agent signing so we basically got PLD for nothing (of course there's his contract), whereas it cost the Kings Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari and a 2nd round draft pick. Vilardi's a former first round pick who's scored 20+ goals the past two seasons, Kupari's also a former first round pick.

Now I must admit that I've had the crazy thought of BMAC resigning Mantha on the cheap and place him on the line with PLD centering and Lapierre on the LW. This way we could have the French Connection Part Deux or French Connection Redux.
Mantha for say $2.5x1 might be worth considering

Reactions: Ridley Simon

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
New rule. Never sign proven fat cats expecting them to act broke and hungry again. If they must be signed? Low ball one year deal.

It's mind boggling these dumb ass GMs ignore fat cat disease and ink guys and then play hot potato trying to get rid of them. Lets see who signs Mouthpiece Mantha. Please don't be us.

Coaches trying to handle lazy forwards must be a struggle. They could be moved to defense heh ala the swiss army knife Brooks "Bakery" Laich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad