Confirmed with Link: Trade: Pierre-Luc Dubois to Washington for Darcy Kuemper… the trade is one for one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Who is a 28 pt guy? PLD was 40pts in a down year last season. His previous 2yrs in WPG he was 60 and 63pts with 28 and 27 goals.

Marner just put up 85pts on the 2nd highest scoring team in the league (missed 1st place by 3 goals vs COL). Mathews had 69 goals and Nylander had 40. That's a lot of potential apples for Marner, yes?

Marner had 26 goals, so most of his points were assists.

Know who the top scorer for LA was? Fiala at 29 goals (50th in the league).

I wonder how many points each would have if they'd swapped teams?

Again, this trade might flop, but you have your mind made up and your bad faith posting is getting tiresome.
There isn’t a positive side to this trade whatsoever. You’re paying 8.5 million dollars to a 40pt 3C who is on team number 4 in seven years. Wasn’t motivated at 3 previous places but now he’s magically going to be for a non playoff team (we didn’t belong there). Good luck with that. You want to spin everything GMBM does into roses. Be my guest. I wish I could be that naive.

Reactions: badi and Block

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
The argument is one Byfield panning out is worth more than a bunch of depth pieces panning out.

I truly think Leonard can be that kind of a piece for us though.
Yeah, these rankings always put way too much stock into prospect depth. That might matter a little to a team doing a full-blown years-long rebuild, but for most teams the top 5 or so are all that every really matter. The guys after that just get blocked.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This place is hilarious lol. He’s not my top choice. Not even top 3. He gets brought up in reference to me and all of you trying to justify this putrid trade. Follow along please.
Ok. The top 3 are?

I guess there's no way to restructure his contract in a couple years when his actual salary will be below his cap hit?

Seems weird that Winnipeg signed him long term and then traded him the same day. I'm guessing it was the contract that LA wanted. But since it was an $8m signing bonus and a $1m salary in the first year, maybe it was a way for Winnipeg to basically give LA $8m as part of the deal?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it all, but I can't shake off this feeling that we got stuck with the hot potato here.
Lost in all this, is he played well In Winnipeg. He didn’t want to play there any longer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I would argue that it wasn't hindsight really. The team was all in making runs and failing '09-'18, rationally, they should have been ready to pack it in after '16-'17's failure but then they inexplicably won a title with a much worse team than the groups from '09-'10 through '16-'17, even w/that happening in '18, the swift decline '19-'21 should have made it obvious it was time to do a tear down years ago (I was in support in '18 lol, and 1000% demanding it by summer '19), the fact that they were stupid for not doing it during the summer or trade deadlines of '19, '20, '21, and '22 is not a hindsight thing, it was patently obvious for anyone who watches sports. When you sell off your farm system for playoff runs, and your stars hit their 30's, the only direction your franchise is going after that is down, which is why you do tear downs in the first place, to provide yourself a short cut on the inevitable long term rebuild that comes from a golden generation aging out, and your team lacking the prospect talent to do a retool instead.

Because of a stupid --- record, we decided against the long term interests of the franchise years ago. I still find this utterly inexplicable. If guys like Gretzky and Borque aren't sacred, why on earth was a record so sacred? Well, it's now 4 years way past the sell by date in terms of getting that decision right, instead of wrong as Ted has done with both of his franchises he's run into the ground. :(.
Your path would have seen the greatest player this franchise will probably ever see, be run off and playing for a rival….hard pass.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
This is exactly my point. GMBM has no direction for this team. If you want to improve the team then actually improve the effing team. If you want to tank then tank. This consistent “what are we” meddling is infuriating. His constant move is we hope to strike lighting in a bottle. There’s no denying PLD has talent. But you’re now saying no we will be the ones to figure him out. All while they aren’t good enough to win or bad enough to tank.
You've been bitching for months about how non-committal MacLellan is, and now he pushes all his chips to the middle of the table with this move and unsurprisingly you're still bitching because of all the hypothetical other moves for players you'll never name that you think were out there. Shocking.

I dunno how you can say there's no direction after a move like this, because it's blatantly a move to try to contend while Ovie's still here. There was never a path to that that wouldn't require the Caps catching lightning in a bottle, because they simply do not have the assets in terms of current players, prospects, and picks to acquire a bunch of players who're already elite and have no obvious warts. The only way they could possibly get back to contending is by gambling on buy-lows, and MacLellan managed to find one that only adds 3.3M in the Ovie years and costs significant cap room after that when the team will probably be rebuilding and the cap won't matter. They still have plenty of cap room right now and all their assets to make more additions, which are obviously coming.

For however this turns out, MacLellan is staking his legacy to this move. If it fails, it almost certainly costs him his job. If it succeeds, he'll have rebuilt the Caps' top 6 centers in the span of two years for literally less than nothing and the Caps might actually get back to contender status for Ovie's last few kicks at the can. I would say it's a win-win for you, but I'm honestly not sure you'd enjoy the latter.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
There isn’t a positive side to this trade whatsoever. You’re paying 8.5 million dollars to a 40pt 3C who is on team number 4 in seven years. Wasn’t motivated at 3 previous places but now he’s magically going to be for a non playoff team (we didn’t belong there). Good luck with that. You want to spin everything GMBM does into roses. Be my guest. I wish I could be that naive.
You don’t have any idea what you are talking about. You don’t seem to understand the salary cap, NMC, player value.

Let alone PLD was highly sought after in Winnipeg, he just didn’t want to sign with them long term. He didn’t want to live in Winnipeg.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
@Todd Lazarchick youre really going to argue this contract and move is so horrible but are willing to give 10+mil x 7 to Reinhart after a career year on a stacked FLA team?
And a UFA still gets to choose their teams. I bet PLD had slim pickings and took the team with a vacant 1C slot (yay).

It seems like BMGM is deciding to address the lack of top 6 forwards without actually spending futures. I don’t hate the not spending futures part.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Just stop. At a minimum, we got rid of Keumper. An accomplishment most on here doubted we could do. Basically a back-up goalie being paid 5-6mil annually. That's a lot of paper to keep the bench warm. So now we're paying an extra 3+mil taking a risk on a guy who 'could'...'could' be a good player and actually score goals. Something we are dreadfully lacking. Cap's office have seen enough to take a risk. That's what you do in business...quite often. GMBM has shown he can make deals extricating misfit players too. Look at Kuzy: 2 Player assistance programs, shit attitude, shit production, and we all thought we were stuck with his full salary for another year because what team would want that??? Ohhhhh...just one of the top east contenders...

Do I like PLD's salary? Hell no. Will he add enough value to justify the cost? No one knows...including you. Think what you're seeing are some people are hopeful, but no one here is naive or delusional.

The Nostradamus meets Joan of Arc role you're playing is not aging well.

Shit, went over my posting limit. 48hr ban.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He doesn’t hit. Those stats are inconsistent to say the least. He showed a pulse and took the body a handful of games throughout the season. I really hope he works out for you guys, and I can’t really speak to previous years, but he was dreadful last season.
Yeah we get it. We’ve had a lot of dreadful over the last 2 yrs (Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Kuemper, etc etc).

Good luck w Darcy. I am afraid his eye injury has ruined him, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: LeftKinger

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is exactly my point. GMBM has no direction for this team. If you want to improve the team then actually improve the effing team. If you want to tank then tank. This consistent “what are we” meddling is infuriating. His constant move is we hope to strike lighting in a bottle. There’s no denying PLD has talent. But you’re now saying no we will be the ones to figure him out. All while they aren’t good enough to win or bad enough to tank.
This just simply is NOT true, and while I understand your “schtick” here, repeating the same broken mantra/narrative, doesnt make it real.

Have you actually looked at the Caps contracts, and how it all rolls going forward? You (and a lot of complainers) are whining about the salary cap “down the line”.

Fast forward to today, 2 yrs from now (so 6/20/26). Any idea as to how many players this team has signed? And for how much? Honest Q?

Im wagering you don’t.

It’s 5 players (Wilson, PLD, Strome, Protas, Sandin) for 27.9m. That’s it. THATS IT!!

In today’s Sal Cap world, the team would have 60m and 17slots to fill. Most teams have 5-6 players on contracts at 1m on average. Let’s use 5. That leaves 55m to fill 12 slots.

55m? Say 3 guys take 30m. Which *should* be 3 maximum great players. 2F’s and 1D. Leaves 25m for 9 slots.

Say another 3 guys take 15m. 1F and 2D’s. 10m for 6 slots left …Again, with NO Cap raise. Which won’t be the case.

They’d have 7F’s, 4D’s, no G’s, and 5 1m players so far.

I honestly do NOT see the issue. Like, at all, and have no idea what you are so afraid of.

Is PLD worth 8.5m? NO. Was Kuemper worth 5.25m? NO. Are they a good match to trade? YES, from DC’s point of view.

PLD and his 8.5m will either be a good player for us, or irrelevant in 2 freaking years. STOP trying to do the chicken little thing. It’s not attractive

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This just simply is NOT true, and while I understand your “schtick” here, repeating the same broken mantra/narrative, doesnt make it real.

Have you actually looked at the Caps contracts, and how it all rolls going forward? You (and a lot of complainers) are whining about the salary cap “down the line”.

Fast forward to today, 2 yrs from now (so 6/20/26). Any idea as to how many players this team has signed? And for how much? Honest Q?

Im wagering you don’t.

It’s 5 players (Wilson, PLD, Strome, Protas, Sandin) for 27.9m. That’s it. THATS IT!!

In today’s Sal Cap world, the team would have 60m and 17slots to fill. Most teams have 5-6 players on contracts at 1m on average. Let’s use 5. That leaves 55m to fill 12 slots.

55m? Say 3 guys take 30m. Which *should* be 3 maximum great players. 2F’s and 1D. Leaves 25m for 9 slots.

Say another 3 guys take 15m. 1F and 2D’s. 10m for 6 slots left …Again, with NO Cap raise. Which won’t be the case.

They’d have 7F’s, 4D’s, no G’s, and 5 1m players so far.

I honestly do NOT see the issue. Like, at all, and have no idea what you are so afraid of.

Is PLD worth 8.5m? NO. Was Kuemper worth 5.25m? NO. Are they a good match to trade? YES, from DC’s point of view.

PLD and his 8.5m will either be a good player for us, or irrelevant in 2 freaking years. STOP trying to do the chicken little thing. It’s not attractive
Even I, can admit that he has an obvious direction with this move wether I agree with it or not.
Man and I thought old school journalism is dead

Great well put together, well sourced, actual meat on the bones article
It wasn't a spin piece, was honest and showed where we could potentially benefit from this (or not). I enjoyed it.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Is PLD worth 8.5m? NO. Was Kuemper worth 5.25m? NO.
This is where the analysis should begin. How much were we overpaying Kuemper compared to how much we will be overpaying PLD?

Another way of thinking of this would be, does PLD bring $3.25m of value above what Kuemper was bringing us?

I think it will be a pretty low bar to clear, really. That's about what we're paying Protas, or 1/2 of what we're paying Wilson.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Your path would have seen the greatest player this franchise will probably ever see, be run off and playing for a rival….hard pass.
Not run off, traded so he could spend the last years of his career playing for quality teams instead of playing for a team that had zero chance at contending, while we get some pieces so we can shortcut the rebuild a bit and I never mentioned trading him to a rival either. Some serious straw manning there.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Not run off, traded so he could spend the last years of his career playing for quality teams instead of playing for a team that had zero chance at contending, while we get some pieces so we can shortcut the rebuild a bit and I never mentioned trading him to a rival either. Some serious straw manning there.
Trading him period would have been dumb. McDavid should be moved because he's getting old. Or McKinnon, Drai, Kuch, etc. Ovi should be a lifetime Cap to suggest otherwise is flat out crazy talk.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are there any cold, hard facts pointing to PLD being some kind of headcase? Everything I've read so far points to vaguery or innuendo, and I'm pretty sure he's not the first player to butt heads with Tortarella or hate being in Winnipeg.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Love it or hate it, you're not getting talent potential of PLD for DK normally. In three years most of us won't care when he's over 30. I give GMBM credit for not sitting on the pot and doing something even with the SCF still active. As another poster stated, I want to see what Coach SC does with PLD. Milano and Strome worked out great. The deed is done. Hope for the best!

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad