TRADE or KEEP Hronek?

Would you like to trade or keep Hronek?

• Trade

• Keep

Results are only viewable after voting.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hamilton is 3 years older. I don't know why everyone assumes Hronek has already peaked.

Hronek is 26 going on 27 for pretty much the entirety of next season. He's not some young, developing player. All but the most extreme of outlier very late bloomers more or less "are what they are" by that point.

Expecting "improvement" toward an even higher peak at that age is generally foolhardy. Especially if you're factoring that projected continuing growth into his contract...where "paying for potential" is often how you make big mistakes in the first place, but especially if you're doing it on a more or less UFA-aged player. More likely, Hronek has ~4 years of "prime age" play at a similar level to what we got last season, before he starts to drop-off. And that's without injury factors, that have been a bit of an issue with him.

Tanev is old news and no long or even medium term solution

I mean, that's probably true. I wouldn't want to go more than 2 years with Tanev, even 3 is really pushing it. But i also don't see why he wouldn't be at least a short-term solution. Or at least...part of the solution. He's still playing at a reasonably high level and he plays the type of cerebral, not really toolsy-dependent game that can end up aging pretty gracefully.

Obviously would just be a bridge to other parts of the solution, and complemented by other acquisitions. But i don't see why they should cross him off out of consideration just because he's probably only got a few years left.

Low 7's. I'll go mid 7's. Either way , the disagreement on price is around 500 to 700k. It isn't worth going through the trouble of moving a player and making RHD the biggest organizational need again over 5 to 700k.

Everyone harps on about all the great RHD free agents. Jesus do ppl have short memories.

Most of the time , players get to free agency because the team they play on don't think they are worth what they stand to get. Just like we moved on from Kyle Burroughs or Christian Erhoff. Or Ed Jovonovski.

The problem with this kind of incremental reasoning, is that...where does it end? Where is the line in the sand? If you think Hronek is say...a $6M defenceman where you'd be okay stretching to the Low $7M range because of the risks of the alternative...you're already reaching beyond what is really comfortable to pay. So another $750k on top of that or more if he presses for his $8M starts to become more like a $1.75-$2M stretch to his perceived "value".

And philosophically in terms of cap management...it sets a new precedent to have him eclipse Hughes deal. It's the sort of thing that the Leafs allowed to happen with their "big 4"...and it just makes it more difficult to stop the climb and field the rest of a roster when you let certain players drive their own pricetag up because "it's just $750k here and there", and suddenly you're penny pinching a few hundred thousand here, half a million there, etc. on all the rest of your players filling out the roster.

That's not great, when the quality depth of this roster was an enormous factor in taking that huge step forward this season.

Why does everyone assume that Hronek profited from being with Hughs but Hughs never gained anything from Hronek ?

What kind of team success did we have with poverty Dmen with Hughs again?

I think there's a tendency to see it as a bit of a one-way benefit...and you're right, Hughes did benefit from playing with Hronek in some ways as well. His ability to also move the puck helped take some pressure off Hughes at times. But how much of it goes each way is very much debatable.

It's also a bit of a false dichotomy here. It doesn't have to be "Hronek" or assorted "Poverty Dmen" with Hughes. There are milder, more intermediate options potentially out there. I think the cost and feasibility of those other options plays a big part in how "desperate" you need to be with Hronek's demands. Plenty of other names have been tossed around...of varying viability levels.

I also think attributing all of the team success this season to Hronek playing with Hughes is really overstating the case, and massively downplaying so many of the other critical things that went just right for them with the rest of the roster, coaching, etc.

Reactions: HairyKneel and Flik

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I said in my post that he worked well with Hughes - meaning they each benefited. But I don't see Hronek as a 1D with any of the other Canucks defensemen, while I can with Hughes.

Ergo, he doesn't rate $8 million on our team. As I stated, I'm fine with keeping him at $6.5 max.
Quinn Hughs is the best defensman on the planet right now. So saying you don't see him anchoring a pair with any other defensman isn't the shrewd take you think it is. 6.5 is a joke of an offer.

The only other R side defensman signed beyond this year is Noah Juulson.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Quinn Hughs is the best defensman on the planet right now. So saying you don't see him anchoring a pair with any other defensman isn't the shrewd take you think it is. 6.5 is a joke of an offer.

The only other R side defensman signed beyond this year is Noah Juulson.
Differing opinions make hockey life interesting. :)

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
from all reports, he's loved in the locker room

Maybe don't take the quote out of context?

I mean I made a post about how everyone is exaggerating Hronek's issues and you quote me saying 'Hronek is a lockeroom cancer'. That's not my opinion at all.

Please don't reply to me if you are going to be like that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
have you guys considered when hearing a player's opening negotiating ask, instead of panicking and trading the player, they should maybe try to do that negotiation thing first.

I couldn't help but notice Carolina was used as a boogeyman again today.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
have you guys considered when hearing a player's opening negotiating ask, instead of panicking and trading the player, they should maybe try to do that negotiation thing first.

I couldn't help but notice Carolina was used as a boogeyman again today.
A man of boogey you say?

The problem is there is zero incentive for Hronek to budge until arbitration date gets close. And the management has their hands tied until that with Hronek up in the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: HairyKneel

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why? Because he stink eyed a local hairlip that kept asking dumb questions? Patterson is a joke. Nice to see him look like an idiot in front of everyone.
Steve Yzerman is the Warren buffet of GMs. Ppl are always looking for reasons to pump his tires.

I don't know why every players personality has to be the same. It's good for the chemistry to have different types.

Reactions: Nopefully

dman34

May 6, 2011
It’s at the point with Hronek where I wonder if 8x8 is him simply just saying he doesn’t want to play in VAN rather than actually thinking he can get that elsewhere. He was pretty cold when he got traded here and has avoided the media this entire year.

Dhali saying that no one he’s talked to thinks he’s worth that is… pretty significant.

VAN management clearly believes so
Hronek has always avoided the media. He barely spoke to them in Detroit too.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
I voted keep just because teams go literally years trying to fill the top 4 right side Dmen.

Left shot Dmen are like running backs in the nfl. Who cares sign or draft another one and plug him in. anyone spending on Left shot Dmen not named Quinn Hughes is an idiot. Never spend big on second or third pair left shot Dmen.

Why? Because he stink eyed a local hairlip that kept asking dumb questions? Patterson is a joke. Nice to see him look like an idiot in front of everyone.
You’re right because the immediate follow up should have been

“So if you weren’t injured why couldn’t you get a one timer off for a good 25 games? What happened to the shot over that time?”

• Haha
Reactions: mathonwy

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The other issue not being mentioned is that the Canucks once again are going to be in cap hell. They just can't keep signing players to inflated contracts.

Okay I was wrong about Miller, he's been earning his contract. And Boeser has rebounded.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
As Huggy's partner , it appeared ok over the 82, but when the REAL games started, it obviously fell apart.

That's when the serious hitting begins. That's when top flight mercs like Matthew Tk. TAKE OVER !!

Hronek HAS to be paired with someone else. (Unless you're playing for fancy statistics) ... In that sense, is it worth a super-high cap hit?

Likely not. When that cap $ could be better allocated.

Ps. Matty Tk who should be a Canuck today, but for (guess who) but that's a different thread.

Reactions: David71

dman34

May 6, 2011
The other issue not being mentioned is that the Canucks once again are going to be in cap hell. They just can't keep signing players to inflated contracts.

Okay I was wrong about Miller, he's been earning his contract. And Boeser has rebounded.
The Canucks are far from being in "cap hell". There are plenty of other teams in a way worse position cap wise. The have lots of $ to spend. The important thing is to spend it wisely, find value and not over pay. They can also potentially improve their situation considerably if they can get out of the Mikheyev contract. These next 2-3 years are extremely important to make a run with Hughes (3 more years at $7.8M) and Demko (2 more years at $5M) providing amazing value.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The Canucks are far from being in "cap hell". There are plenty of other teams in a way worse position cap wise. The have lots of $ to spend. The important thing is to spend it wisely, find value and not over pay. They can also potentially improve their situation considerably if they can get out of the Mikheyev contract. These next 2-3 years are extremely important to make a run with Hughes (3 more years at $7.8M) and Demko (2 more years at $5M) providing amazing value.
Disagree with most of this post.

Hughes is on an amazing contract. So I agree there.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Hronek expects, and won't move down much from, 8 million per year, you have to trade him. He won't outshine Hughes, and that diminishes his value if he is reliant on taking playing time/role from Hughes.

If he is willing to sign closer to (not at) 6-6.5 million, you keep him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If Hronek expects, and won't move down much from, 8 million per year, you have to trade him. He won't outshine Hughes, and that diminishes his value if he is reliant on taking playing time/role from Hughes.

If he is willing to sign closer to (not at) 6-6.5 million, you keep him.

I'm ok with that. Hronek has shot himself in the foot since the last contractual offer from our management. And since then he's done nothing to prove that he's anything close to 8 mil AAV defenseman.

Reactions: Cogburn

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Was shit for half the regular season.

And the playoffs.

Hughes makes basically anyone look good.

He turned down $6.5M.

He needs to take $7M or you move him.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad