Would you like to trade or keep Hronek?

• Trade

• Keep

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The other issue not being mentioned is that the Canucks once again are going to be in cap hell. They just can't keep signing players to inflated contracts.

Okay I was wrong about Miller, he's been earning his contract. And Boeser has rebounded.
Other than Mikheyev who is on an inflated contract? There’s no cap hell.
Have no clue who that is.

But mature people can keep their emotions in check. Maybe Ive been able to teach you some of that lately. :)
Google is your friend.

The next time you teach me something will be the first time. :laugh:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Anyhoo, I don't think Hughes effect on Hronek is as big as some people made it out to be. Luke Schenn had one season where he was on track for a career high of 31 points but the other season he was on his normal points pace around 22.

In fact I don't think any of those stay at home guys we paired with him had inflated point totals. You'd expect Myers to have the most potential besides the chaos factor but his points are pretty consistent both with or without Hughes and also before he was on the Canucks. Tanev also didn't put up a lot of points in that one season. I checked the Wowy ice times for this.

In contrast Hronek was on pace for 49 points the last season in Detroit. Now of those he had 16 powerplay points. Not playing the PP as much here he still had 11 powerplay points and 48 points for the year.

So I think we should keep him. But I think the second half of his season and the playoffs showed his warts. So on one hand he's the best points producing partner that Hughes has ever had. On the other hand there's a lot of questions about his value and to me his defence has big ups and downs.

So definite keep, but like all our free agents it has to be for the right price. He definitely solidifies the Hughes pairing but IMO our issue is that we need to be a two pairing team and he hasn't been that great anchoring his own pair.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Other than Mikheyev who is on an inflated contract? There’s no cap hell.

Google is your friend.

The next time you teach me something will be the first time. :laugh:
seriously? they have 15 players signed and $18M in cap space. They need to sign Lindholm, Hronek, Joshua and Blueger. I think Joshua should be the target. On D, they also need to deal with Zadorov, which I think should be their highest priority.

Lindholn wants around 8, as does Hronek. Gee that leaves them $2M to sign 8 more players. You don't think that is a cap problem? And OEL increases next year.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
seriously? they have 15 players signed and $18M in cap space. They need to sign Lindholm, Hronek, Joshua and Blueger. I think Joshua should be the target. On D, they also need to deal with Zadorov, which I think should be their highest priority.

Lindholn wants around 8, as does Hronek. Gee that leaves them $2M to sign 8 more players. You don't think that is a cap problem? And OEL increases next year.
capfriendly says we have 23 mil in cap space, bumped up to 26 mil with poolman's contract in LTIR

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Anyhoo, I don't think Hughes effect on Hronek is as big as some people made it out to be. Luke Schenn had one season where he was on track for a career high of 31 points but the other season he was on his normal points pace around 22.

Well counting stats wise it might not seem like it, but Hughes' play took a big step forward last season and even more so this season. So Hughes' effect on Schenn would be higher last season than the previous season.

In fact I don't think any of those stay at home guys we paired with him had inflated point totals. You'd expect Myers to have the most potential besides the chaos factor but his points are pretty consistent both with or without Hughes and also before he was on the Canucks. Tanev also didn't put up a lot of points in that one season. I checked the Wowy ice times for this.

In contrast Hronek was on pace for 49 points the last season in Detroit. Now of those he had 16 powerplay points. Not playing the PP as much here he still had 11 powerplay points and 48 points for the year.

So I think we should keep him. But I think the second half of his season and the playoffs showed his warts. So on one hand he's the best points producing partner that Hughes has ever had. On the other hand there's a lot of questions about his value and to me his defence has big ups and downs.

So definite keep, but like all our free agents it has to be for the right price. He definitely solidifies the Hughes pairing but IMO our issue is that we need to be a two pairing team and he hasn't been that great anchoring his own pair.

I agree. I think Hronek on another team with prime PP minutes is a 45-50 point Dman. With that said, with PP configurations often featuring only one Dman, would Hronek get those PP minutes that would allow him to put up closer to 50 points? The Canucks were one of the best goal scoring teams including 5 v 5 in the league.

I think what management reportedly offered Hronek is fair. Could he get more as an UFA? As a soon to be 28 year old all-situations RHD putting up 45+ points I think so but not $8M.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Wings traded Hronek, allegedly because they weren't willing to meet his expected contract demands. It would be ironic if the Canucks were forced to trade him for the same reasons.

The problem is, Hronek is an RFA with arbitration rights. And his base salary is $5.5m. So if he goes to arbitration, he'd likely get a lot more than that based on this past season with the Canucks. Because although he faded a bit down the stretch, he's a rare right-shot defender who did put up 48 points.

The best solution would probably be some sort of three-year bridge deal. But if he goes to arbitration, the Canucks may be saddled with a contract they can't trade without taking money back. And considering what they gave up to acquire him (a first and second rounder) they can't let him walk for nothing.

Reactions: mossey3535

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The Wings traded Hronek, allegedly because they weren't willing to meet his expected contract demands. It would be ironic if the Canucks were forced to trade him for the same reasons.

The problem is, Hronek is an RFA with arbitration rights. And his base salary is $5.5m. So if he goes to arbitration, he'd likely get a lot more than that based on this past season with the Canucks. Because although he faded a bit down the stretch, he's a rare right-shot defender who did put up 48 points.

The best solution would probably be some sort of three-year bridge deal. But if he goes to arbitration, the Canucks may be saddled with a contract they can't trade without taking money back. And considering what they gave up to acquire him (a first and second rounder) they can't let him walk for nothing.
In arbitration, whichever side wins, they take their proposed amount yes? I'd like to think there are more player comparables at the 6-7 range than there is in the 8+ range. Feel like canucks would win arbitration for an amount that is something theyd be able to trade, but regardless of that, it's going to be a risk either way.

I'd almost rather this scenario, and lose for nothing if a trade didn't come to fruition, then to be saddled with a longterm contract that, if they were ever lookin to move, the reason would be obvious that he isn't worth the money paid, and they'd have to eat part of salary and take a hit on return, or give something to get rid of. This is the worst case scenario for both ways.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Better to let him walk (despite how bad the optics would look) than re-sign him for far more than you want him to imho.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I really wish I knew why this was even a discussion, the Canucks are not trading him under any circumstances. And people should have confidence this management group can sign him to a reasonable contract and the Pettersson contract is a perfect example of that, and the Miller contract is another wonderful example that this management team lead by Allvin and Rutherford can get him to sign to a reasonable bur fair deal to keep him here long term

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I will even use the Carson Soucy contract as another good example of reasonable but fair deal and Ian Cole’s 1 year contract. Either way we desperately need Hronek as Willander will not be ready until the end of next season and even then will still only be 20 years old , plus we have Zadorov , Cole and Myers all unrestricted. I pray to god we resign Zadorov we really need him

Reactions: ChilliBilly

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

If you're going to make a bad argument you should at least get the numbers right. We have close to 24M in cap space before Poolman's LTIR. lol.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Canucks have over 27m (LTIR) in cap space with 14/23 roster.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Was shit for half the regular season.

And the playoffs.

Hughes makes basically anyone look good.

He turned down $6.5M.

He needs to take $7M or you move him.
Ok now the Hronek skeptics are offering 7. That is close enough for a deal.

We are lucky he wasn't lights out for 82 games+. If he was , the floor would be 8. Instead of the ceiling.

He wasn't making Myers or Cole level errors despite getting the 2nd most ice time on the team.

Hronek is what made Myers look fine. Why f**k with something that basically worked ?

trade him.
Yeah because Juulson is our only RHD under contract. He will do.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Does anyone want to throw out some estimates of what Brandon Montour will get in his next deal ? He's 4 years older than Hronek.

(I can't believe we are even doing this)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Why are people trying to get rid of him?? I swear, if we piss him away for peanuts we are running ourselves right back into the dark ages. The monster minutes he averages for us are not minutes you can get from the likes of Derrick Pouliot lmao like what are you people smoking

Most people would prefer to keep him if possible, but the devil is in the details - demanding nothing less than 8 mil X6 is lunacy.

Reactions: Flik

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why are people trying to get rid of him?? I swear, if we piss him away for peanuts we are running ourselves right back into the dark ages. The monster minutes he averages for us are not minutes you can get from the likes of Derrick Pouliot lmao like what are you people smoking
Travis Hamonic bro

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At or around $7.25M I would lean towards keeping Hronek, unless there’s a trade out there that makes too much sense to pass on.

But Hronek in the low $7’s is decent value going forward and if/when Willander comes in and proves himself, Hronek could potentially be dealt in his late 20’s if needed.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad