Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I still don't understand what Fletcher is thinking.

They got swept in the second round. I don't think they even held a single lead in the entire second round. It wasn't close, it was a complete embarrassment.

The GM decides to literally bring back the entire team except swap out one fourth liner and one depth defenseman. No changes made to the coaching staff, and no changes in the coaching staff's philosophy.

From Russo's article right after the season ended:

“Losing the way we did stings, to put it mildly,†Fletcher said. “But after beating St. Louis, I don’t think many people were asking us to make massive changes. So you have to be careful changing direction after four games.

“That doesn’t mean it wasn’t disappointing. We’ll figure out in early June why we didn’t play better, why weren’t we able to take a step? I just want to let some of the emotion die down and be rational.

“For four months everything went right, and then we lost four games. I like a lot of things, but I want to figure out what I don’t like ad correct it.â€

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yes, I totally agree we can just give up on the vets and rebuild with some more young players like Draisaitl.

But if we are doing that, we can be tossing in any of the Granlund/Nino/Zucker/Coyle forward core, because each one brings a needed skill set to the group. I'd even toss in Haula to that group despite his uneven play.

Going that route, we would be better suited by trading vets for picks and then using those picks as assets to add to a defenseman package. Also, aside from Scandella, I think all defensemen should be on the table, even in a rebuild, because there is some enough overlapp between Brodin/Spurgeon/Dumba that any one could be moved without hurting the team too much.

Never will happen unless you trade Suter and Parise because they didn't come here for a rebuild

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He's cherry picking for the quote. The same team couldn't string two wins together for two months until they picked up Dubnyk, and goaltending was not the only issue.

Right. And I'm sorry this team has a way of ****ting the bed from Dec-Feb and then requiring to play like its the playoffs for the next 40 games just to make the playoffs. They go in tired and worn out because the marquee players are hitting 25+ min a night. Suter looked like an old man out there in the playoffs and its pretty evident why.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If Koivu has no value, why would another team send us back a center that we would need? If Koivu has value, why would we trade trade him because we need centers badly?

That is not the case with the Wild's wingers or defensemen.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
He's cherry picking for the quote. The same team couldn't string two wins together for two months until they picked up Dubnyk, and goaltending was not the only issue.

And that same team started out the season red hot. Its a major issue that the wild need to solve some how. Ive never seen a team that can from cold to hot to cold so quickly. The playoffs were just another example.

Im sure that Chuck would make some moves if he could. I do believe that if the wild challenge some of our younger guys to make a difference on the score sheet they will respond. That would requires to knock off this veteran bias that the coaching staff has though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Realize the timing of Fletcher's comments about Graovac, Keranen, and Gabriel. It's the same day he is letting the Wild UFAs go. It's easier to tell Brodziak and the others that you can't offer them contracts because there is another guy in line who deserves his shot with the club.

That said, I do think at least Graovac and Keranen are important players. Both were the best players in Iowa last year and both are in positions of need (C, RW, respectively).

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Still waiting for that UFA goalie for Iowa. I saw that Matt Hackett signed with Anaheim, the other team with 3 NHL goalies. :laugh:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Looks like they found their two-way, depth, defensemen. Tyson Strachan

Depth better be the key word there. He legitimately had amongst the worst numbers in the NHL last year. We'll be in trouble if he sees NHL time

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Too bad Fletcher traded away our 2nd and 3rd round picks next season. I do not see much downside to off-sheeting Tarsenko for like 9 million/year. You either get a superstar RW for the next decade, or you handcuff your rival and make them pay a few million more to sign there own player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Too bad Fletcher traded away our 2nd and 3rd round picks next season. I do not see much downside to off-sheeting Tarsenko for like 9 million/year. You either get a superstar RW for the next decade, or you handcuff your rival and make them pay a few million more to sign there own player.

I doubt Tarasenko isn't already under contract by then.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He's not signed yet. Every team in the central division other than the Hawks and us should be offer-sheeting him right now. Dallas. Nashville. Colorado. Winnipeg. They are all sleeping on the job.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Why not go $9.15m with the four 4 1st round pick compensation? We'd have to trade away a crap ton of cap (Pominville 5.6+Spurgeon2.66+Coyle3.2/Backstrom3.42 with retention, for a serious package of picks/prospects).
The compensation for RFA's are next years draft selections so we could do it at any time. I'm not sure we want to start an offersheet war though with Spurgeon, Nino, Dumba, Zucker, and Granlund(again) all due up in the next 2 years.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Teams interested in submitting an offer sheet for Tarasenko have to take into consideration that he was married in Russia yesterday. Might not get a timely response.

J22*

He's not signed yet. Every team in the central division other than the Hawks and us should be offer-sheeting him right now. Dallas. Nashville. Colorado. Winnipeg. They are all sleeping on the job.

Who says they aren't trying? You can't force a guy to negotiate with you.

Why not go $9.15m with the four 4 1st round pick compensation? We'd have to trade away a crap ton of cap (Pominville 5.6+Spurgeon2.66+Coyle3.2/Backstrom3.42 with retention, for a serious package of picks/prospects).

The compensation for RFA's are next years draft selections so we could do it at any time. I'm not sure we want to start an offersheet war though with Spurgeon, Nino, Dumba, Zucker, and Granlund(again) all due up in the next 2 years.

I am almost positive that you need to have the cap space available before signing someone to an offer sheet.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I am almost positive that you need to have the cap space available before signing someone to an offer sheet.

This is exactly why we won't get Tarasenko. Maybe offer Pominville+Coyle+Spurgeon+1st but that's about it. It's a pipe dream.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

And we could fit 9 million dollars under the Cap how??

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
Not saying we should do it, but I don't think anyone has to be under the cap until after training camp.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The Wild got swept by the eventual Champs - they had been playing playoff hockey since January, and overcame a shizzload of hurdles to get into the playoffs.

They were amazing during their run to the playoffs.

Let's see if they can avoid Yeo Valley just once and play more or less good hockey from October to April, and not show up to the playoffs spent and hurt.

Roster stability is a new concept here - I am interested in seeing what they can do next season.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I am going to be livid if we enter Yeo Valley again next season. So sick of the mid-season collapses.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Keep in mind, Leo already said if he plays this season it will only be for the Wild....maybe Fletcher is keeping that ace up his sleeve just in case? We can hope?

Maybe Fletcher even told Leo to keep in shape just in case?

I wouldn't mind if we just re-signed Leopold and went 12/8, have no issues playing Nate Prosser as a 12 forward(RW) in an emergency situation. Doesn't sound like thats Fletcher's plan though.

I still don't understand what Fletcher is thinking.

They got swept in the second round. I don't think they even held a single lead in the entire second round. It wasn't close, it was a complete embarrassment.

The GM decides to literally bring back the entire team except swap out one fourth liner and one depth defenseman. No changes made to the coaching staff, and no changes in the coaching staff's philosophy.

Fletcher put himself in a corner and feels the best way to move forward is live by his past moves. I can't say I disagree with what he's done this offseason with what he did previously. If he makes the wrong move he could be out of a job, so why not stand pat and see if that 2nd half team is going to show up for a full season.

If Fletcher didn't hand out NTC's like candy, he wouldn't be in this mess.

Trading Koivu would be a huge mistake considering he is one of two NHL calibre centers on the roster and the only won who can consistently win draws, not to mention he is an elite defensive center.

I would have moved Pominville or Coyle to make an offer for Vermette. Wild have too many wings and Coyle is playing out of position at #3 center. Vermette is a solid center who can win over 55% of his draws, while Coyle has managed about 45% over his career.

We would be better off have three good secondary centers rather than having two good secondary centers and then a third line winger playing at center.

I'd consider Vermette a downgrade to Coyle or Pominville in this line-up, so unless we were getting a significant piece I wouldn't have been a fan of this. Not sure I'd have preferred Vermette to Letestu who signed for half the cap-hit and an extra year, considering how underwhelming Vermette was when he played on an actual NHL team last season. Yeah, Letestu had a bad year too but he's a righty and much cheaper, similar offensive upside(over the past 4 seasons).

I'd have considered something like Nino for Kadri if Kadri was willing to sign for Nino $$(1-year) but can't think of much else off the top of my head. Didn't expect the 2010 draft picks to get moved this offseason. Trading the vets after underwhelming seasons wouldn't get the ideal return to move them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad