Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
FYI, I'm not interested in adding top 6 players, I'm interested in adding top 3 players. We have to find a way to make this happen. A top 3 center and winger make this team a whole more interesting and in a hurry.
Because it's so straightforward and reasonable to just decide to get those guys and then do it, right?

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Probably not much but then again I didn't think anyone would take on Granlund's contract in full either so who knows?

If you look at who is left of the bigger contracts almost all of them wanted to be in Nashville specifically, well other than McD maybe but even he in some way chose us. Could be why you won't see Duchene get moved but as I said him getting moved indicates we probably are moving alot of others as well.
I think we may somewhat underestimate what contenders will pay for a player they perceive may fill a gap. Granlund is a center/winger/PP passer who may perform better for a team with a hole to fill. Pittsburg has superstars and he’ll probably help them achieve. If I was their GM and felt he filled that hole, I’d do a 2nd straight up. Remember he was good for Preds for a couple of years.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Unless someone comes along with an offer Poile/Trotz can't refuse, I think we're done.

Moving one of Fabbro or Carrier doesn't make a ton of sense. Young cost effective d-men.

McD isn't going anywhere with Ekholm gone.

Duchene isn't going anywhere. The guy plays hard, is putting up good numbers. Will be fun to watch him with young players who can keep up with him.

Johansen may go somewhere but not until the offseason.

Saros is the wildcard. If you can package him with picks, players and prospects while landing yourself a franchise center, you make the move. Having an elite goalie is a luxury but not a necessity to win a Cup. An elite center gets you closer.

I don't think guys like Sissons or Trenin get moved either. You have to have some NHL talent on your roster....haha.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Because it's so straightforward and reasonable to just decide to get those guys and then do it, right?
Says the fan of a team that's had top 3 forwards in the past and present. Depending on how your GM approaches building a team, you figure out a way to do it. We have the capital to make that happen and while it would be giving up a ton to do so, we've seen what not having top 3 forwards gets us. We've also seen what teams that have top 3 talent can do. I get tired of the narrative of it's hard to do so it can't be done. Guess what, we just ripped off the band-aid. If that can be done, anything can be done. And FYI, it's not like teams haven't traded top 3 forwards.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Says the fan of a team that's had top 3 forwards in the past and present.
And thus is quite familiar with how convoluted and nuanced those situations are. Particularly considering that they've all been wingers.

I'm not saying it can't be done at all, I'm saying it's not something you can just insist on making a plan for. Yes, you can make trades, but they don't always work out to the degree one might hope - witness, for example, top-3 forward and #1C Ryan Johansen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Thank you for the true laugh out loud

What a great trade to get rid of Granlund.

Duchene, McD, Johansen, Fabbro and Saros are the ones in watching. Saros to me is the real wild card.
I don't think Saros is going anywhere. You haven't even heard the slight rumble from anyone that is happening.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I don't think Saros is going anywhere. You haven't even heard the slight rumble from anyone that is happening.
I agree w/ Glen. Wild card. If your socks get blown off, this is the market he gets traded in. That said, I don't think he is moved. Poile/Trotz have put enormous value on drafting and maintaining a strong goalie.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I cannot believe that an actual NHL GM watched the tape of Granlund this year and said "oh yeah, I need that on my team". Not just for the rest of this season, but 2 more as well. Truly baffling.
Not to mention the two breakaways he didn't convert or the 4-5 shots he passed up on to pass to no one during the game the night before.

Reactions: predhead1 and hido

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This is all just surreal. I was just leaving the hospital and Layla was playing on XM and I thought of the scene in Goodfellas where they play Layla and show all the guys that Jimmy whacked after the Lufthansa heist. I just cant decide in my mind if the dead guys are the players Poile traded or the GMs he fleeced....

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Damn, they traded whipping boy #2. Move Cole Smith and we will collectively lose our minds as we try to find a new target for our ire.

I appreciate what Granny did for us but he did not have a good shelf life. Maybe he finds success or may he is a boat anchor for the Penguins with his cap hit....kind of a win win by my standards.

The second round pick is just a mic drop on the whole deal.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Damn, they traded whipping boy #2. Move Cole Smith and we will collectively lose our minds as we try to find a new target for our ire.

I appreciate what Granny did for us but he did not have a good shelf life. Maybe he finds success or may he is a boat anchor for the Penguins with his cap hit....kind of a win win by my standards.

The second round pick is just a mic drop on the whole deal

Somebody should propose a Jeannot-type package for Smith on the trade board, lol

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm definitely on board with the deal, but I think Granlund gets a little undervalued around here. It wasn't his fault Hynes treated him as the Second Coming of Christ, when he clearly didn't have what it takes for that role. If he would've deployed Granny as a middle-six winger that he was, people would view him bit differently.

All the best to Granny to PIT. I think you were a good soldier for us for many years and got a lot of undeserved hate for that Fiala trade. But for us, it was time to move on.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
What do people think about going after J.T. Miller?

I think we could land him for Johansen (local BC boy with only two years left on his deal after this year) and some picks.

Miller would be a legit 1C and would fit in the timeline with Josi, Saros and Forsberg. After his prime he's here to shelter the younger guys when they take over.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I think we could land him for Johansen (local BC boy with only two years left on his deal after this year) and some picks.

Miller would be a legit 1C and would fit in the timeline with Josi, Saros and Forsberg. After his prime he's here to shelter the younger guys when they take over.
I can't think of a single player who is less of a Trotz guy than JT Miller.

I was listening to Marek and Friedman and they suggested Nashville had at least talked to one team about Saros, but to everyone's point the offer has to be the moon.

Very curious to see where this goes. I think there is at least one more move on the blue line.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I have a feeling Poile is getting a lot of calls about Saros. If he gets moved, I’m sure the return will be stupid.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I can't think of a single player who is less of a Trotz guy than JT Miller.

I was listening to Marek and Friedman and they suggested Nashville had at least talked to one team about Saros, but to everyone's point the offer has to be the moon.

Very curious to see where this goes. I think there is at least one more move on the blue line.
Saros... i guess it depends on Poile and Trotz philosophy. Saros will singlehandedly keep up in games and the team around him may drag down his sv%. So if you plan on trading him, his value likely will never be higher and it would help in the quest for a good draft position. Its also very risky considering askarov may never be as good as saros and we could get stuck in purgatory. Then again.... we have a long history of developing quality goalies.

Reactions: weeze

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Just so everyone is aware, since this thread is already at 50 pages, I'll close this one tonight, and create a GDT: Trade Deadline thread.

Exciting times!!!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Johansen is better at the C position than Miller could ever hope to be. Miller's basically a winger who takes faceoffs.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I'd want a young potential franchise player for Saros, a player that the other team does not want to give up. Matt Beniers, Moritz Seider, Owen Power type player. Or an unprotected 1st from a bottom 3-5 team.
No Nick Robertsons or late 1sts.
Not going to get a bottom 5 team that's interested in trading for a goalie, they aren't in contention. More than likely would have to find a team that was previously in the bottom 5 but made it to the playoffs that needs a goalie and has a stud to send back the other way with some picks involved.

I would guess the only teams who fit this criteria would be Ottawa, Edmonton, and Montreal but I'm not 100% sure on those

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Not going to get a bottom 5 team that's interested in trading for a goalie, they aren't in contention. More than likely would have to find a team that was previously in the bottom 5 but made it to the playoffs that needs a goalie and has a stud to send back the other way with some picks involved.

I would guess the only teams who fit this criteria would be Ottawa, Edmonton, and Montreal but I'm not 100% sure on those

I think that tells you how unlikely a Saros deal would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad