Speculation: Trade Deadline Talk - March 8th, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
3rd line winger?
Depth defenseman?
we already have too many defensemen. There are Carlsson, Balinskis and Mahura outside of the top 6 playing. Thus, makes zero sense to acquire a defenseman.

When it comes to offense, I would like to see a winger who would replace Cousins. When Panthers got rid off Vatrano and Tippett, goal scoring potential got worse. We rely too much on few players. There is not much happening in the bottom six.

About Kakko, we don't have anything that NYR wants. We don't want to give Lundell or Luostarinen and we don't have picks.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
we already have too many defensemen. There are Carlsson, Balinskis and Mahura outside of the top 6 playing. Thus, makes zero sense to acquire a defenseman.

When it comes to offense, I would like to see a winger who would replace Cousins. When Panthers got rid off Vatrano and Tippett, goal scoring potential got worse. We rely too much on few players. There is not much happening in the bottom six.

About Kakko, we don't have anything that NYR wants. We don't want to give Lundell or Luostarinen and we don't have picks.

Having injury depth on defense is never a bad thing.
Montour and Ekblad were injured last year.
Mahura may be on the move as some GM may value the RFA status and he's still young enough to improve and has had a deep run in playoffs as experience.

As for up front, I agree we need a scoring winger on 3rd line but we do have the picks needed:

2025 2nd and all the 3rd rounders from 2024 to 2026.
A depth 3rd liner shouldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder or if he has term/upside, the 2nd should be on table if Zito thinks he can fill a role for next 2-3 years.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Having injury depth on defense is never a bad thing.
Montour and Ekblad were injured last year.
Mahura may be on the move as some GM may value the RFA status and he's still young enough to improve and has had a deep run in playoffs as experience.

As for up front, I agree we need a scoring winger on 3rd line but we do have the picks needed:

2025 2nd and all the 3rd rounders from 2024 to 2026.
A depth 3rd liner shouldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder or if he has term/upside, the 2nd should be on table if Zito thinks he can fill a role for next 2-3 years.
Kakko was drafted 2nd overall. NYR is not going to trade him without getting something better than what they have now. They need at least a C. In my opinion, Kakko has more potential than being a depth 3rd liner. Weaker teams like Arizona give more opportunities for their prospects than what NYR can do. For example Maccelli has been amazing in AZ.

Reactions: Felidae

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Kakko was drafted 2nd overall. NYR is not going to trade him without getting something better than what they have now. They need at least a C. In my opinion, Kakko has more potential than being a depth 3rd liner. Weaker teams like Arizona give more opportunities for their prospects than what NYR can do. For example Maccelli has been amazing in AZ.

I don't have Kakko on my list and wouldn't want to pay the cost for him.
Samoskevich is gonna come in a be a middle 6 player soon enough.

To each their own though.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Anthony Mantha was always a weird one to figure out.

Tallon dream in size and has wheels. On and off mindset it seems has plagued his career.
Not sure if Washington would want to move him but they are now 5 points out of 3rd in the Metro, which is probably their best shot for the postseason

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Anthony Mantha was always a weird one to figure out.

Tallon dream in size and has wheels. On and off mindset it seems has plagued his career.
Not sure if Washington would want to move him but they are now 5 points out of 3rd in the Metro, which is probably their best shot for the postseason
I've thought about Mantha as well. Not the ideal target , but that's the kind of cheap acquisition we can realistically expect.

Reactions: ShootIt

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Meh, Canucks aren't scary IMO
Reminding me of the Leafs a bit and don't have a lot of playoff experience in the group.
I think EDM would beat them if playoffs started today.

Good on them for adding a big needed piece but if they sign Lindholm, that'll be a negative for their build going forward.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I've thought about Mantha as well. Not the ideal target , but that's the kind of cheap acquisition we can realistically expect.

I've seen several people say Mantha is the laziest player in the league. I don't think it's a fit.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Monahan just went for a 2024 1st and conditional 2027 3rd.

I'm cool with not making any moves lol. Also good on Habs for getting 2 1sts over 17 months for Monahan lol
First VAN, now WPG, man must this media and success pressure push those GMs to full desperation mode

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
good GMs make moves in the summer, bad (and sometimes unlucky) GMs have to go shopping at overinflated TDL prices. I believe Zito learned from a couple of years ago. We are pretty set as a whole, but maybe we grab a decent middle-sixer.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
good GMs make moves in the summer, bad (and sometimes unlucky) GMs have to go shopping at overinflated TDL prices. I believe Zito learned from a couple of years ago. We are pretty set as a whole, but maybe we grab a decent middle-sixer.
It's not that TDL trades are necessarily bad - see: Bennett, Montour, Vatrano, Jágr for a few examples - it’s giving up a fortune for overprized rentals which is so rarely worth it.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Arturri Lehkonen and Barbashev were fair prices and benefitted their teams A LOT.

That is the type of trade we need. Not furniture movers but a nice piece to spice up the set

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Arturri Lehkonen and Barbashev were fair prices and benefitted their teams A LOT.

That is the type of trade we need. Not furniture movers but a nice piece to spice up the set
100%, gotta find a guy that can play up and down the lineup that isn't flashy. Those are great examples of home runes. Jeannot is the opposite side of things.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My wish list from top to bottom for 3rd line winger, being realistic

Kane
Tarasenko
Roslovic
Kapanen
Zetterlund
Atkinson
Pacioretty
Mantha
Olofsson
Armia
Raddysh

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
My wish list from top to bottom for 3rd line winger, being realistic

Kane
Tarasenko
Roslovic
Kapanen
Zetterlund
Atkinson
Pacioretty
Mantha
Olofsson
Armia
Raddysh
Good list. If Kane could be healthy I’d take him too, but I’m not confident about that… still, my top 5 are the same as yours except Atkinson before Zetterlund…. And in fact given Kane’s injury probability, being realistic, I’d probably place Atkinson first. He scores big goals and is a great disruptor of plays.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Good list. If Kane could be healthy I’d take him too, but I’m not confident about that… still, my top 5 are the same as yours except Atkinson before Zetterlund…. And in fact given Kane’s injury probability, being realistic, I’d probably place Atkinson first. He scores big goals and is a great disruptor of plays.
Yeah I really like Atkinson, the only thing is his cap hit for next season. It could only happen if Flyers retain most of his salary, and then , what would Flyers want in return? Unless Panthers plan to move on from Montour, which I don't think they will or should. Otherwise Cam would be perfect to round out our top 9, and the perfect competition for Mackie for 3rd line RW next season.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Someone mentioned Aube-Kubel. He might be a good bottom-six option for cheap. I don’t see Gadjo playing regularly in the playoffs (if at all) but I also don’t see us sitting Cousins or Lomby.

Regardless of how the league views Cuzzy, I think Paul and the team love him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad