Trade Deadline Discussion Part 4

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Apparently, yes, he must believe we're contending now. Unless he's spoken privately to Vanek about re-signing, this remains a purely "Now" move.

Do we magically become a contender with one new guy? Hard to say how much of a bump we get. With Tinordi/Beaulieu added on D, with Vanek added on the wing, we're a different team than last year. How much better is impossible to say right now, but I give Bergevin credit for having the balls to pull off this move.

At the very least we should imagine two scoring lines instead of one. Not a hard sell for me.

PricePkPatch*

Can I have more information about "future considerations"? It's so damn nebulous a term

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin impressed me this deadline. He picked up a very good goalie for our AHL team ( not really NHL ) and made sure Tinordi & Beaulieu stay there for the rest of the season by getting Weaver. Hopefully they make a good run.

He then goes and get Vanek for almost nothing right before the 3 pm deadline. He was probably hoping to get some scoring for cheap close to the deadline and got rewarded big for being patient.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Get a room. With yourself. Get the optional padded walls. Sing happy birthday until you fall asleep.
Personal attacks don't me **** since the topic I was discussing was still Diaz's value. You have only mentioned me and not anything related to Diaz. So, you want to commission my personal autobiography or something? Am I THAT interesting to you?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can I have more information about "future considerations"? It's so damn nebulous a term

Some day Nashville will see a prospect they like in the 7th round and ask for Montreal's pick. Or if they make a future deal, they might up the value of something in the trade due to the history.

It's incredibly vague.

PricePkPatch*

Some day Nashville will see a prospect they like in the 7th round and ask for Montreal's pick. Or if they make a future deal, they might up the value of something in the trade due to the history.

It's incredibly vague.

Is it legal to make such vague deals?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Personal attacks don't me **** since the topic I was discussing was still Diaz's value. You have only mentioned me and not anything related to Diaz. So, you want to commission my personal autobiography or something? Am I THAT interesting to you?

My response to you was deservedly commensurate with your insult of people who may disagree with you.

No one here ever elevated Diaz to deity status. Many, though, including me, believe he is a useful player.

Your rant didn't include an iota of sane comments about Diaz, yet you insist on it from me.

You're not interesting in the least to me. That you can take to the bank.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If it wasn't, the NHL wouldn't allow them.

You can't technically give a player to another team for nothing, you have to make a trade. "Future considerations" is just a legal way of more or less doing so.

I believe it's also the case that "future considerations", while not detailed in the public (guess they don't have to?), are supposedly somewhat defined possibilities that are agreed to between trading partners. We may never know the actual details (simply disclosing "future considerations" seems to fulfill the legal/filing requirements), but it's likely that both sides have agreed a list of possible players, a list of possible picks (or maybe just loose framework defining the highest possible pick; perhaps by draft year), or both. There are probably even stipulations defining time period, when/how the considerations can be invoked, etc.

But as far as what "future considerations" can mean, it can be literally anything... or nothing, in the end. The only things that seem to be black and white about them are cash can't be involved, and a player can't end up being traded for himself.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

did we ever see our "future considerations" yet?

2010/06/29 Montreal Canadiens traded Sergei Kostitsyn and future considerations to the Nashville Predators for Dustin Boyd, Dan Ellis and future considerations.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder if Dubnyk was the future considerations for Sergei :laugh: and round we go

:laugh:

First Ellis and now Dubnyk...and future considerations...
I don't think we owe Nashville anything period for DD...they got good production from SK...WE GOT ZONKED.In my opinion they still owe us..lol

Sergei Kostitsyn 200 games for Preds(108 pts) for Boyd who played 10 for Habs with 1 point.

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Well they say depth is key if you wann go far in the Playoffs. Based on that, I think Bergevin did a good job the last couple of days. He added a player at every position without giving anyone one the roster away AND without selling the farm (gave up on a non-progressing prospect and a 2nd in a weak draft. Got a 5th rd this year against a 5th round next year so who cares..)

When you look at our depth now, it's pretty sick.

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Vanek-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Brière
Prust-White-Moen
Extras : Bourque, Weise, Bournival

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Murray-Tinordi
Extras : Weaver, Bouillon, Drewiske, Beaulieu, Pateryn

Price
Budaj
Tokarski
Dubnyk

This makes us A LOT less vulnerable to an eventual string of injuries since we have 3 NHL forwards, 4-5 NHL D's and 3 NHL/near NHL goalies on the sidelines waiting to step in.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
My response to you was deservedly commensurate with your insult of people who may disagree with you.

No one here ever elevated Diaz to deity status. Many, though, including me, believe he is a useful player.

Your rant didn't include an iota of sane comments about Diaz, yet you insist on it from me.

You're not interesting in the least to me. That you can take to the bank.
Don't make personal attacks if you want to talk about the player and not the poster. Also, read up on literary devices, specifically hyperbole. Your pathetic attempts at retorts are laughable because you can't even recognize literary devices and you have to instead concoct adjectives about ME rather than the topic of Diaz. Don't talk about me if I'm not the subject of the discussion.

Hyperbole aside, it is is absolutely sane to drive home the point about Diaz is that he was not worth whatever people wanted from him when he was traded for Weise. The market confirmed this when Vancouver couldn't get more from him at the deadline value-wise than Weise. That doesn't mean he isn't useful, but the overrating of his trade value was beyond ridiculous. Many were saying "we could've gotten more" and Vancouver provided proof otherwise. Also, if you weren't one of those guys who thought "we could've gotten more", then my comment does not even apply to you.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
So this is what we did ...basically

Vanek/Weise/Weaver/Dubynuk/ ---------->> Diaz/collberg/2nd

I hope DD can get some time in with Waite as he would be a really nice backup goalie to Price. Think he would be better than Budaj as a backup

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com

I hope DD can get some time in with Waite as he would be a really nice backup goalie to Price. Think he would be better than Budaj as a backup

DD may end up being better than Budaj but the latter hasn't failed us yet so I doubt DD would be on the main team if Price were back

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Budaj has been the perfect back up. No reason to even look at replacing him. Awesome team guy too.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Why? Not only could he be more expensive to keep at the NHL level, he will probably never play as well in the backup position as Budaj has for at least the past 3 seasons. Worse fundamentals and worse between the ears, which are two huge nails in the coffin of any goalie's bid to land a backup position before getting into how well Budaj seems to fit into the group.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Priorities:
#1: Resign Subban
#2: Resign Vanek/Markon
#3: Trade Bourque ASAP

If he could trade Bourque without taking salary back it would have been done long ago, most teams want either A-to send back another bad contract or B-the Habs to retain part of his salary.

I think the best time to move him may be next summer after the big UFA's are gone, maybe the cap floor teams need help getting to the floor. His cap hit is 3.33 but his salary will only be 2.5 the next 2 years.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
If he could trade Bourque without taking salary back it would have been done long ago, most teams want either A-to send back another bad contract or B-the Habs to retain part of his salary.

I think the best time to move him may be next summer after the big UFA's are gone, maybe the cap floor teams need help getting to the floor. His cap hit is 3.33 but his salary will only be 2.5 the next 2 years.

Just to clarify, you disagree with the Vanek deal, right?

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Well they say depth is key if you wann go far in the Playoffs. Based on that, I think Bergevin did a good job the last couple of days. He added a player at every position without giving anyone one the roster away AND without selling the farm (gave up on a non-progressing prospect and a 2nd in a weak draft. Got a 5th rd this year against a 5th round next year so who cares..)

When you look at our depth now, it's pretty sick.

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Vanek-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Brière
Prust-White-Moen
Extras : Bourque, Weise, Bournival

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Murray-Tinordi
Extras : Weaver, Bouillon, Drewiske, Beaulieu, Pateryn

Price
Budaj
Tokarski
Dubnyk

This makes us A LOT less vulnerable to an eventual string of injuries since we have 3 NHL forwards, 4-5 NHL D's and 3 NHL/near NHL goalies on the sidelines waiting to step in.

Wow that depth !!! :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad