Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day/Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Carolina did their best to shore up their playoff run. Sorry , I like their moves a lot more then Tampa, my gosh.

Looking at the Gooddrow and Pageu trades, Benning looks real good on the Toffoli move and even the Miller trade, although that was a summer move, still looks good.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I don’t understand why/how the conference finalists from last season with a young deep team loaded with an excess of picks and prospects is not at the right time to load up.

Wild take.

Even More wild to suggest they aren’t very good and that adding 3 bonafide top 4/6 is weird.

Carolina a play driving juggernaut at 5 on 5 and just added 3 quality players.

The timing seems absolutely normal to me.

I was under the impression they were the worst team in the NHL at bleeding high danger scoring chances against. As I said, that could be wrong. Was thinking it was the Canes.

Any idea how they look in that area?

Not to mention Skjei's advanced stats are pretty terrible, to go along with the eye test reports of the fans that watch him every night, that seem to think, he's pretty terrible. Curious pick up for a team that apparently puts a lot of stock in advanced analytics, led by Tulsky and co.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Carolina is top 3 in shots and attempts against per 60. They’re bottom 10 in HDCA/60. The best is 8 the worst is 13. They’re at 11.

They’re really an excellent team imo. That’s an organization to be jealous of imo.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Carolina is top 3 in shots and attempts against per 60. They’re bottom 10 in HDCA/60. The best is 8 the worst is 13. They’re at 11.

They’re really an excellent team imo. That’s an organization to be jealous of imo.

Bottom 10 in high danger scoring chances? Any idea where they rank out of the 31 teams?

The big 4 in the East for me are Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington. Didn't seem like the right time to go for it, but obviously they feel the guys they are getting will help them longer term.

Skjei and Trochek are interesting pickups. Both having poor years, but have played well previously. Time will tell if they were smart gambles.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

They're very good. Lehner IMO, would've made them a really sneaky team that could do damage again if they make the playoffs.

Reactions: I am toxic

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
With the same retention scheme I'm surprised Carolina wasn't more aggressive on him.

As was I. Waddell said he's confident in Nedeljkovic/Forsberg to hold it down until Mrazek is back. I guess we'll see that that goes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What happened to Nick Ritchie..?..I remember the Leafs table at the 2014 draft having a long discussion over whether they should draft Nick Ritchie or Willie Nylander.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Oh yeah, and Mike Commodore, pack your shit, you got every 'insider' trade break wrong!

Last year I wasted 20 minutes watching Brock McGinn tape for his false alarm tweet saying he was a Canuck, and this year he said Wayne Simmonds was Vancouver bound. Fool me once!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm glad we ended up staying put.. there was no way we could have fit Barrie next year... better keep Stecher. Agree with all your arguments that Barrie was not a fit cap wise, and also considering we have Quinn Hughes.

What happened to Nick Ritchie..?..I remember the Leafs table at the 2014 draft having a long discussion over whether they should draft Nick Ritchie or Willie Nylander.

He was big but had low hockey IQ.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see that despite the acquisition of Tofoli, the Canucks are still being listed as a 'trade deadline loser' in the Pacific.....simply because everybody around them got better, except for the Coyotes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm glad we ended up staying put.. there was no way we could have fit Barrie next year... better keep Stecher. Agree with all your arguments that Barrie was not a fit cap wise, and also considering we have Quinn Hughes.

I think they're going to make a big push for Barrie in the offseason.

Tanev and Stecher are both exiting, IMO.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Commodore went 3-for-13, allegedly. Not sure why he's considered worth paying attention to
What he does is for comedy mostly. He does have sources, clearly, as he broke some deals but he just f***s around more than anything.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

They are very good, I agree. An 'analytics based' team, I would say.

One thing, I'm not sure how much you've delved into HD* metrics, but most discourse cautions against using them over base CF% and SCF%. Less predictive. Is that your understanding as well?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I see that despite the acquisition of Tofoli, the Canucks are still being listed as a 'trade deadline loser' in the Pacific.....simply because everybody around them got better, except for the Coyotes.
Don’t really think anyone got that much better. Trade deadline is heavily overrated and the losers/winners thing makes no sense other than to sensationalize a rather meaningless event. I still remember the media calling the Canucks winners for picking up Carney, Weinrich,Noronen, etc....

Vegas wins the pacific (and likely reaches the conference finals) and nothing that happened at the deadline was gonna change that.

Picking up scraps off bottom feeders isn’t going to magically fix issues you’ve had all year. All the western Canadian teams have issues that will get exploited in playoffs by actual cup caliber teams.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Probably due to the fact they gave up A LOT for an expiring contract that’s going to likely test the UFA market and sign elsewhere. It wasn’t a good hockey trade at all.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Commodore is joking and not trying to be a real "insiderrrr"

I always just got a kick out of the grudge he held/holds with Babcock, which ultimately I guess he was right about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad