Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Day/Week

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I see that despite the acquisition of Tofoli, the Canucks are still being listed as a 'trade deadline loser' in the Pacific.....simply because everybody around them got better, except for the Coyotes.
If you're referencing the Sportsnet article ....They rated us a loser purely on the fact that our MVP got injured, not on the Tofolli deal.

Reactions: CanuckCity

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I'm glad we ended up staying put.. there was no way we could have fit Barrie next year... better keep Stecher. Agree with all your arguments that Barrie was not a fit cap wise, and also considering we have Quinn Hughes.

He was big but had low hockey IQ.

would have liked another defender. left handed shot if there weren't any righties avaliable. "ron hainsy" would have been a nice insurance pickup, stanley cup champ can play both sides. I don't trust the canucks utica "boys" defense consisting of brisbois/sautner/rafferty/chatfield. In case any of the big 3 gets hurt. "knock on wood" then the canucks are f***ed/

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Considering what Athanasiou cost the Oilers (two second-round picks), Jimbo made out OK in acquiring Tofoli for just one second-rounder....far better play imo.
Thats a convenient omission

Oilers got decently better
Flames got marginally better
Vegas got significantly better

Canucks lost the only thing that was keeping them near the top of the division, and failed to really do anything positive entry draft or cap wise.

Going to be a very interesting end of season, and even more so offseason.

Next years team could very well be worse.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Did real good getting an nhl experienced goalie for non nhl asset. Tough luck but right move not to give up 2nd and a prospect for 3 or 4 game goalie rental. They have nhl players in each position and the rest of the division might have strengthened for this yeat but weakened their draft futures going forward. They all except vegas added without being contenders. I hope team gets in. Think should finish above Arizona and Calgary or Winnipeg,

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Canucks lost the only thing that was keeping them near the top of the division, and failed to really do anything positive entry draft or cap wise.

Right because losing Markstrom to injury was absolutely a part of the teams TDL plans

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The prices for rentals yesterday were pretty cheap.

Comparing the Toffoli trade to deals involving non-rentals is disingenuous..people still seem to either refuse to admit or don’t understand the value of team control and/or cost certainity

Carolina did the best, moves made with an eye on the future as well as the present.

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
This off season should be interesting. Lots of resigns to take care with limited cap space. Something(s) will have to give. Maybe it’s time to let macewen and/or prospect D (rafferty or other) step in? You need those cheaper roster options. Can’t have a 4th line consisting of mainly $3M+ per player.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Comparing the Toffoli trade to deals involving non-rentals is disingenuous..people still seem to either refuse to admit or don’t understand the value of team control and/or cost certainity

Carolina did the best, moves made with an eye on the future as well as the present.
Yes
I would also pay a 1st round pick for a bottom 6 forward who has never scored 10 goals

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The price for rentals was cheap? What rentals were traded that are equivalent to Toffoli do you consider went cheap? I thought the prices were outrageous. Sure a few marginal players were traded for cheaper prices. Pageau went for an insane price to NYI and the reported ask on Barrie given his season was ridiculous.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You guys watch too much TV. For as bad as the Toronto media will tell you Barrie’s season has been. He’s still top 20 in defensman scoring. He wasn’t going to be given away.

As for cheaper rentals: the dmen were cheap. Vatanen and Gustafson were quite cheap. Simmonds was cheaper than I expected.

Only the Pageau deal looks like a strong return for a rental but they did re-sign him.

What’s weird to my is the about face on Madden for this fanbase. 2 weeks ago and he was easily a top 5 prospect in what many around here have deemed a top 5 prospect pool in the entire league. Now that he’s moved he’s essentially being treated like a throw away and not a valuable piece added to a deal. Curious times.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
This off season should be interesting. Lots of resigns to take care with limited cap space. Something(s) will have to give. Maybe it’s time to let macewen and/or prospect D (rafferty or other) step in? You need those cheaper roster options. Can’t have a 4th line consisting of mainly $3M+ per player.

Well there are lots of moving parts. Things differ considerably if Demko shows the next month he's more than capable of taking the reigns - that would probably save us 3 mill-ish there (by the time we sign a capable back-up). Offloading Baertschi and that's a 6 mill plus cap opening and all of a sudden we have plenty of money to re-sign Toffoli and Tanev (or Barrie who they seem to have a hard on for) as well as the rest of our free agents (while possibly even adding to the mix).

I agree that it's definitely time to let Macewan step in as well as take a longgggg look at Rafferty. I would bet that Stecher is gone and that they plan on bringing in Tyamkin at somewhere near what Stecher is now making.

Things can change in a hurry and I don't think there's nearly the cause for panic that many people are stating. I really hope management does put an emphasis on clearing some of our expensive bottom 6 options out and replacing them with guys like you mentioned.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Considering what Athanasiou cost the Oilers (two second-round picks), Jimbo made out OK in acquiring Tofoli for just one second-rounder....far better play imo.

Madden was worth more than a late 2nd rounder and Athanasiou is not a rental. And outscored Toffoli 30-13 last year.

Edmonton paid less for a comparable player they can keep in the longer term than we paid for a rental. I don't think it makes the Toffoli deal look good at all.

What happened to Nick Ritchie..?..I remember the Leafs table at the 2014 draft having a long discussion over whether they should draft Nick Ritchie or Willie Nylander.

I don't think anything 'happened' to him. He just didn't develop as a top-6 forward. He's actually having a pretty good season - on pace for 32 ES points/82 GP, which is pretty solid 2nd line production from 3rd line minutes. Love that deal for Boston - Heinen is just pure filler.

Reactions: vanuck

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

All true

If you want to look at it like Boeser was replaced by Toffoli and Markstrom is replaced by Demko for the next 3-4 weeks then the Canucks got worse.

AA was a nice pickup by the Oilers, imagine his speed on a line with McDavid would be scary and then they could let Drai/RNH do their own thing.

Lehner was a big time pickup for Vegas, Fleury regressing this season was supposed be the reason why the Pacific was up for grabs. Now they have a goalie who's been lights out the past couple of seasons and they added Martinez to solidify that defense to go along with their strong forward group.

For some reason the Flames don't scare me though lol, not sold on their goalies and I just feel like they have some shit going on in that locker room.

The Canucks were sitting prettier a couple of weeks ago for sure.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Well there are lots of moving parts. Things differ considerably if Demko shows the next month he's more than capable of taking the reigns - that would probably save us 3 mill-ish there (by the time we sign a capable back-up). Offloading Baertschi and that's a 6 mill plus cap opening and all of a sudden we have plenty of money to re-sign Toffoli and Tanev (or Barrie who they seem to have a hard on for) as well as the rest of our free agents (while possibly even adding to the mix).

I agree that it's definitely time to let Macewan step in as well as take a longgggg look at Rafferty. I would bet that Stecher is gone and that they plan on bringing in Tyamkin at somewhere near what Stecher is now making.

Things can change in a hurry and I don't think there's nearly the cause for panic that many people are stating. I really hope management does put an emphasis on clearing some of our expensive bottom 6 options out and replacing them with guys like you mentioned.
100% agree!

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Madden was worth more than a late 2nd rounder and Athanasiou is not a rental. And outscored Toffoli 30-13 last year.

Edmonton paid less for a comparable player they can keep in the longer term than we paid for a rental. I don't think it makes the Toffoli deal look good at all.

I don't think anything 'happened' to him. He just didn't develop as a top-6 forward. He's actually having a pretty good season - on pace for 32 ES points/82 GP, which is pretty solid 2nd line production from 3rd line minutes. Love that deal for Boston - Heinen is just pure filler.
I’m surprised you didn’t rip AA

Seems like the type of player you would hate

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m surprised you didn’t rip AA

Seems like the type of player you would hate

Right now he's become underrated due to the amount of ripping on him. I don't think he's great defensively, but I don't think he's anywhere near as bad defensively as his -45 this year (and the press he's gotten for it) would indicate.

Like, he has a .791 on-ice save % this year and a PDO of 88. Both of those numbers should be basically impossible for a full-time player over a full season and the unluckiest I've ever seen. And I think the results of that have put a microscope on his defensive play which people have now ended up tearing apart. Nobody talked about his defensive play before this year and he was even used as a PK guy a bit in his first couple NHL seasons.

He's a talented player. He scored 27 ES goals last year which was top-15 in the NHL. That was probably a bit of an outlier but if used in the right situations with the centres Edmonton has, he should be a huge upgrade on the likes of Neal and Chiasson.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
100% agree!
That post is a pipe dream. Getting rid of Baertschi likely costs assets and only clears 2.2m. If you assume they pay in the high end for a short term 1B I’ve assumed $3.5m.

In this scenario they would have ~$65m cap committed with 9 players to sign. Assuming another flat cap $81.5m ($16.5 to spend on 9 players)

Tanev - $5m
Now you’ve got $11.5m for 8 players.

Toffoli - $5m
Now you’ve got $6.5m to spend on 7 players.

Virtanen - $3m
Now you’ve got $3.5m to spend on 6 players.

Gaudette - $1.5m
Now you’ve got $2m to spend on 5 players.

not seeing where you guys can add to this.

you can’t even pay $2m for 5 players. The league minimum salary is too high.

So you’ve got no money for Stecher. You could probably squeeze in Macewan, Rafferty as cheap filler.

can’t afford to bring back leivo. And you probably need buffer room so that QH and EP’s 2020/21 bonuses don’t carry over into their 2nd contract years when they’ll be making a considerable amount more than their ELC’s.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
That post is a pipe dream. Getting rid of Baertschi likely costs assets and only clears 2.2m. If you assume they pay in the high end for a short term 1B I’ve assumed $3.5m.

In this scenario they would have ~$65m cap committed with 9 players to sign. Assuming another flat cap $81.5m ($16.5 to spend on 9 players)

Tanev - $5m

Toffoli - $5m

Virtanen - $3m

Gaudette - $1.5m

So you’ve got no money for Stecher. You could probably squeeze in Macewan, Rafferty as cheap filler.

can’t afford to bring back leivo. And you probably need buffer room so that QH and EP’s 2020/21 bonuses don’t carry over into their 2nd contract years when they’ll be making a considerable amount more than their ELC’s.
We are going to have to give up some assets to get rid of some contracts. Simple as that. There’s no way around this situation. And it sounded like we almost dealt baertschi at deadline. So it’s not impossible. Time will tell.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Tanev - $5m

Toffoli - $5m

Virtanen - $3m

Gaudette - $1.5m

Our views differ......I'll play along however

I've tried to "guesstimate" potential salaries

Defense 21 mill - 14.9 mill assigned for 4 guys - Edler, Myers,Benn, Hughes - add in Fantenberg at 1 mill and that’s 16 mil. Add in Tryamkin that’s roughly 18mil Add in Rafferty and another another depth piece and that’s 21 mill

Forwards 41.2 mill between Eriksson, Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Pearson, Roussel, Beagle, Peterson, Boeser, and Ferland* (3.5 of which will most likely go on LTIR) **I’ve assumed we are free of Baertschi’s 2.3 mill cap hit here.

Goalies 4 mill Demko and ?

RFA 17.2 Virtanen 3.2, Motte 1.2, Gaudette 1.3, Toffoli 5.5 Tanev 5 MacEwan 1

Misc. 4 mill Spooner 1 Luongo Recapture 3

TOTAL 87.4 mill

FLAT CAP 81.5 - Difference of 5.9 Mill which is roughly putting Ferland on LTIR and one other player making 1.5 or more on LTIR - both very feasible options - we did a similar thing to start the year with Roussel etc.

I’m sure you know but we are allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason provided we are under by Oct 1. This does give us potentially another 2-3 mill to add a player that isn’t mentioned (assuming we find contracts to place on LTIR to start). This is also assuming your theory that the cap is going to be flat (which considering history is rather unlikely - a 2 mill bump and all of a sudden we aren't that far off from being able to add something decent to our team). I do agree it's best that we leave some wiggle room for the impending Petey and Hughes contracts however management is like a fat kid in a candy store with money in their wallet and I have my doubts that would happen.

As I said - things aren’t nearly as doom and gloom as people like to state. Things change in a hurry - yes i agree - paying players like Beagle 3 mill is not a great idea and I’d love to see us shed some bottom 6 salary however the only thing I’ve assumed in the above scenario is that we trade Baertschi - it’s very feasible that we do something like trade Sutter or someone else to get a bit more relief.

Feel free to correct any of my math as this was done in a hurry but I don't quite see things as being nearly as horrible as the doom and gloom capologists on this board would like to think they are. These aren't pie in the sky #'s I've thrown around - yeah we aren't going to add a Tyson Barrie to that group however we do have options other than staring at the wall with our fists raised screaming loudly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad