Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@Korg
Maybe, maybe not. He and his fiancee likely have a pretty good idea where they'd like to spend their next few years with him being a pending free agent. Him being an Oakville native might be a factor in his decision, but I think he could cash in for a greater deal elsewhere.

Taking a look at Philly's pending FA's, in particular RFA's, I don't see how they can give him a raise. Nolan, Sanheim, Gustafsson, Morin, Elliot, Hart all due raises of some sort. They have 14 roster spots signed, and $16 mil room for next year. It's not going to be easy for anyone with a flat cap, but certainly the Flyers will have some challenges.

I think the Leafs could offer him the money we are paying Kerfoot, if we could move Kerfoot (or expansion pick). The challenge of course being what his Fiancee wants to do, if she's willing to come to Canada.

Hall, Ullmark, Laughton and any depth defenseman would set us up very well... but that's a lot of bodies to move in the Cap/Covid world. I like Jenner as well, but I don't think he's a guy we could keep after this year. Laughton is a guy who we might be able to keep as a 3C.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Taking a look at Philly's pending FA's, in particular RFA's, I don't see how they can give him a raise. Nolan, Sanheim, Gustafsson, Morin, Elliot, Hart all due raises of some sort. They have 14 roster spots signed, and $16 mil room for next year. It's not going to be easy for anyone with a flat cap, but certainly the Flyers will have some challenges.

I think the Leafs could offer him the money we are paying Kerfoot, if we could move Kerfoot (or expansion pick). The challenge of course being what his Fiancee wants to do, if she's willing to come to Canada.

Hall, Ullmark, Laughton and any depth defenseman would set us up very well... but that's a lot of bodies to move in the Cap world. I like Jenner as well, but I don't think he's a guy we could keep after this year. Laughton is a guy who we might be able to keep as a 3C.

I've said the same thing about Laughton. With only Hyman needing a raise, money could get trimmed from trading Kerfoot, moving on from Anderson... And if need be, moving on from Engvall or Mikheyev and Simmonds could get squeezed as well.

Laughton for 3.5 × 3-4 years would make sense. I'd love a 3rd line with Hyman and Laughton as the first two pieces. Both can slide up the lineup as well.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Reactions: Korg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@Korg Quick Shifts: Projecting USA's Olympic roster from 'deepest pool' ever
Laughton's fiancé lives in Phili, I'm guessing they'd want to stay in Phili rather than move away, although like you mentioned Laughton is from Oakville. Funny enough, Barclay Goodrow's girlfriend is from Oakville & runs a business there https://ca.linkedin.com/in/madison-kazarian-a19251139 I bet Goodrow, a Toronto native, signs with the Leafs this offseason.

You just never know. Tavares wife was from Oshawa I believe, and likely played a part in him coming home. On the other hand Pietrangelo's wife was from the St. Louis area, and they move to Vegas. The dynamics of every relationship is different.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Laughton's fiancé lives in Phili, I'm guessing they'd want to stay in Phili rather than move away, although like you mentioned Laughton is from Oakville. Funny enough, Barclay Goodrow's girlfriend is from Oakville & runs a business there https://ca.linkedin.com/in/madison-kazarian-a19251139 I bet Goodrow, a Toronto native, signs with the Leafs this offseason.

There's a lot of GMs that will over pay for goodrow's inflated reputation but it won't be dubas. Goodrow is just an ok 4th liner by all the numbers but someone will pay him much more than that.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Dubas mind-set on Laughton:

"We can and we will"

Give me a Myers/Laughton trade, I'd be prepared to give up 1st's and then some......

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
There's a lot of GMs that will over pay for goodrow's inflated reputation but it won't be dubas. Goodrow is just an ok 4th liner by all the numbers but someone will pay him much more than that.
Numbers schmumbers Barclay Goodrow is not an ok 4th liner; that guy can play.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I like Goodrow, but I’m not sure I’d want to pay him much more than the cap space Simmonds is currently using.

Our only really significant needs are 1b goalie and 3C, so that’s where the money should be prioritized. The rest of our roster is pretty ok for next season.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Who is better Laughton or Foligno? Putting aside toughness & character, I'd say it's Laughton.

Laughton is having a better season.

I’m not sure why we went to put aside toughness and character. Those are among our biggest needs right now. Playoff experience and leadership would be nice too. If Foligno is available at a reasonable price, he’s the perfect addition.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This.

He's a solid 3rd line checking forward, but will probably command in the $3m range which realistically, the Leafs cannot afford.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This.

He's a solid 3rd line checking forward, but will probably command in the $3m range which realistically, the Leafs cannot afford.

He's never really produced enough even for a 3rd liner. He's been a ~25pt pace guy in Tampa and a bit less than that in SJ.

Beyond scoring, his underlying metrics are just ok.

Not the kind of guy you want to give any real money to, but somebody will pay up for all the cup winning hype he's received.

Reactions: stickty111

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Goodrow has a home in Uxbridge. A friend of mine said he did work on his house not too long ago.

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He's never really produced enough even for a 3rd liner. He's been a ~25pt pace guy in Tampa and a bit less than that in SJ.

Beyond scoring, his underlying metrics are just ok.

Not the kind of guy you want to give any real money to, but somebody will pay up for all the cup winning hype he's received.

I think I like this kind of player more than you do, but you're still right. He's an excellent 4th liner who can probably play as the 3rd wheel on a good 3rd line.

Not worth much more than 1.5 million. He's almost certainly get a lot more that somewhere else. If not, I think he'd be a good add for this team.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Goodrow is solid, but I think the best play would be to find the next Goodrow (or start drafting them) rather than pay UFA prices. Would definitely give him Simmonds money though.

Also, some of you guys are kidding yourselves calling Goodrow a 4th liner. Every other year Tampa loses a forward (e.g. Marchessault, Miller, Verhaeghe) who can barely get ice time and these guys immediately become top-line forwards on playoff teams. Goodrow was 7th in forward TOI in the 2020 playoffs and 8th this year on better rosters than the Leafs have iced in half a century. If he's a 4th liner, so are half our forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 123offtheglass

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Probably better to ask here. For the people more in knowledge with the cap, can the Leafs not afford to scratch say Bogosian or Dermott for a game, and play Liljegren? Is the cap preventing that?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Probably better to ask here. For the people more in knowledge with the cap, can the Leafs not afford to scratch say Bogosian or Dermott for a game, and play Liljegren? Is the cap preventing that?
They would have to be put on waivers and clear first before they could be assigned to the taxi squad....

Reactions: stickty111

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Palmeiri out of the line up today, and it’s not COVID/injury related

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Homes in places don't really mean much. For example, Jordan Bennington purchased a new build home not too far from me in King City for $4 million and he just extended in St.Louis

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Sabres fans are delusional when it comes to price for Ullmark. They expect 2nd + Dermott + Amdersen which is just asinine. Half of them still say no. Lehner clearly set the market last year, and he only got a 2nd + Malcolm Subban + C prospect. I don't even think Ullmark will be traded, especially the leafs but that just ridiculous. I really can't see Ullmark staying in Buffalo. Why would he willingly stay in that tire fire when he is a UFA. I can't see them offering him such an insane amount of money that he can't refuse, so he'd be crazy not to go to literally any other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad