Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
I'd hate to move Lindholm, but if he wants $8M + for another 8 yearsI don't know if we can afford it moving forward and we absolutely can not let him walk for nothing.
I never disregarded or took for granted what Johnny or Chucky brought to our #1 line last year and I knew it would be harder for Lindholm to suddenly have 2 new linemates this year. But... I truly believed that Lindholm really drove that line and from my personal viewing, I believe he did more than 33% of the lifting on that line - I may have said closer to 49.9%, and then adding his own snipes, his one timers from the slot - great season!

He has been my favorite player to watch offensively for a few seasons now, but I think if you can get a haul for him - take the haul. Players know that teams will change season to season, and some will be better than others, but outside of Players like Jarome (who also needed a supporting cast) I wonder about the mental strain of going from a playoff team last year and now back to missing the playoffs as a player who helps his team enough that it should be at least a playoff team. As you have said, you will have to pay him even more once his contract is due - take the picks and a decent prospect and let Ruzicka finish the year as the 3rd line centre (with more capable wingers).

Reactions: Boomstick

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Can't sell because of the terrible Monny trade, I hated it right from the start. We could have just put him on LTIR.
We had everything lining up for a major rebuild with Johnny & Tkachuk lastyear and we could have moved a bunch now. A ton of picks in some strong draft years. Now we got nothing.
Call Wolf up and hope the team can respond
In one calendar year probably could have had Wright or Cooley as top center prospect, Holtz on wing and one of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlson, Michkov, Benson or Will Smith.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I wish our expiring contracts of next year were this year. We'd have some decent assets to move out.
But with our luck we'll be in a playoff position at this time next year and lose everyone to free agency without getting any picks or prospects back.

This year our expiring contracts are Lucic, Ritchie and Lewis. Can't see anyone being in demand for any of these 3 scrubs.

Next year different story.
Expiring contracts are Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Dube, Hanifin and Tanev, Zadorov.
Dube is RFA, the rest UFA.

I say we pick up the phone and put these guys out there today.
This year has been a disaster with not much puck luck or chemistry on the ice.
We have some great pieces and we have some prospects, youth that can contribute next year.
And of the expiring contracts next year, Lindholm will want big money, Toffoli will probably be looking for term since he's been bounced around a few teams. Dube will probably want to double his salary. Hanifin is still young. Not sure what Tanev wants to do, he's been great since he's been here. Backlund has a ton of experience and has a great leadership pedigree.

I think we should make them all available today, but I'm not sure what their No Trade Clause's are. If we get an offer we can't refuse, we take it. If we get lousy offers you stand pat and wait until the off season or next year's trade deadline. No reason not to listen though.

I agree with this also.

Of the bunch Backlund I'd like to stay around and even Lindholm. I don't mind Toffoli too much now either, though would hate to see a playoff fade again (if we ever get there again lol). But yeah, all of those guys hold significant value and really no one is off the table.

Of the 3 with expiring contracts Lewis has been decent in a 4th line role. Obviously we won't miss Looch's contract or really anything else. Ritchie has been okay too but whatever.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This was the forum that clutched their pearls at the idea of trading him for 5 straight years

lol this was the place where (some) fans had breakdowns if anyone dared mention Monahan was a terrible center and would be better as winger

One year to ride out Mony's contract, and hell if he was healthy he would have been worth something at the trade deadline. But no, wizard had to give up a first and tie a massive anchor around this franchise's neck. It physically hurts just to think about it.
Yeah but he's never healthy. That was literally the major reason why he had so little value last summer.

Habs fans persistent and never ending delusion along with a ridiculous level of greed made them think suddenly every thing would be different for Monahan this year. Surprise surprise it wasn't. And that's exactly how it would have played out had he remained a Flame.

But talking about stupidity and delusion, the inability of this fanbase in general to first recognize and then accept that Murray Edwards sets the mandate of playoffs or bust every season is mind boggling. They can fire Treliving (and they should) but does anyone really think for a second that his replacement will do anything substantially different?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want to trade for Taylor Hall.

We might get a lottery win out of it.

What could we offer the Bruins that they'd actually consider?

• Haha

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I agree with this also.

Of the bunch Backlund I'd like to stay around and even Lindholm. I don't mind Toffoli too much now either, though would hate to see a playoff fade again (if we ever get there again lol). But yeah, all of those guys hold significant value and really no one is off the table.

Of the 3 with expiring contracts Lewis has been decent in a 4th line role. Obviously we won't miss Looch's contract or really anything else. Ritchie has been okay too but whatever.
I'd hate to lose these guys too, but if they can chase, contend and win a Stanley Cup elsewhere, I'd wish them the best. Always sad to see our favorites go, but we all have to remember it's a business and the players goal is always to win the Stanley Cup whether it's with Calgary, or elsewhere. I've been a fan since day 1 and i've had to say goodbye to a ton of favorites over the years. I'd list them, but it would be way too long.
My first jersey with a name and number on it was #7 Joe Mullen.
We've had so many good players here, and most have ended up leaving chasing the Holy Grail and I don't blame them. Trades and free agency happens to pretty much everyone, there's not many players that retire on the team they drafted them. A guy like Backlund may have to do it somewhere else, I can't predict the future, but our team is so inconsistent with this group, whether it's a GM, Coach or player change, we've underperformed this year and it's been tough to watch as a mega fan.
Let's see what happens. I say our GM has to listen to pretty much every phone call. If we were firmly in a playoff position, I'd say we're all in, but that's not the case. Even if we stumble into a playoff spot (I say this, because our longest winning streak has been 3 games all year and I can't see us ripping off a 5 game winning streak, let alone 10) I can't seeing us getting to round 2.

Reactions: Tofveve

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
There is only a couple of teams left that will push all in with these types of returns...Rangers, Bruins, Lightning, and Leafs have all pushed. It leaves the Canes, Avalanche, and Oilers

Oilers would definitely be interest in Hanifin. Biggest hole is a top 4 LD. He's not a rental so Holland should be willing to move his 2023 1st +

I know Flames and Oilers fans would probably both hate to see a deal shakedown as Flames would hate to see the Oilers address a need and Oilers would hate to see the Flames hit on the draft pick.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'd hate to lose these guys too, but if they can chase, contend and win a Stanley Cup elsewhere, I'd wish them the best. Always sad to see our favorites go, but we all have to remember it's a business and the players goal is always to win the Stanley Cup whether it's with Calgary, or elsewhere. I've been a fan since day 1 and i've had to say goodbye to a ton of favorites over the years. I'd list them, but it would be way too long.
My first jersey with a name and number on it was #7 Joe Mullen.
We've had so many good players here, and most have ended up leaving chasing the Holy Grail and I don't blame them. Trades and free agency happens to pretty much everyone, there's not many players that retire on the team they drafted them. A guy like Backlund may have to do it somewhere else, I can't predict the future, but our team is so inconsistent with this group, whether it's a GM, Coach or player change, we've underperformed this year and it's been tough to watch as a mega fan.
Let's see what happens. I say our GM has to listen to pretty much every phone call. If we were firmly in a playoff position, I'd say we're all in, but that's not the case. Even if we stumble into a playoff spot (I say this, because our longest winning streak has been 3 games all year and I can't see us ripping off a 5 game winning streak, let alone 10) I can't seeing us getting to round 2.

Well said . . . I still remember being so sad and crying in my mom's room hearing on the radio that we had traded away Eddie Beers, Gino Cavalini and Charlie Borgeois. I mean I pretended like I wasn't crying because I was already 12 haha. But I was soooo choked up. I remember thinking how cool all 3 were, had the Flames team pics on the wall in my room. Little did I realize what a player Mullen would be for us! I still remember a spinorama shot against Vancouver from the right circle where he put it in the far corner along the ice with his backhand. Loved that guy!

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
But talking about stupidity and delusion, the inability of this fanbase in general to first recognize and then accept that Murray Edwards sets the mandate of playoffs or bust every season is mind boggling. They can fire Treliving (and they should) but does anyone really think for a second that his replacement will do anything substantially different?

Changing the GM likely do little to change the team, especially because I imagine they will just give it to Conroy who has been part of the management group here and would likely just be another yes man to Edwards demands for short term planning.

That is why I am 50/50 on firing Treliving, he has had his chance to build teams and failed but at the same time his hands were likely tied and the replacement is unlikely to do any better.

Reactions: Fig

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Oilers would definitely be interest in Hanifin. Biggest hole is a top 4 LD. He's not a rental so Holland should be willing to move his 2023 1st +

I know Flames and Oilers fans would probably both hate to see a deal shakedown as Flames would hate to see the Oilers address a need and Oilers would hate to see the Flames hit on the draft pick.

I don't see anything the Oilers have that makes sense in a Hanifin deal. The first round pick isn't close to enough, they have no decent prospects of interest and no good young players either. For a guy of Hanifin's age, ability and contract I don't think we can move him for the magic beans like a 20th overall pick and a b level prospect. I want a rebuild but I don't want to just give pieces away, especially not to the Oilers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
yes but I am not sure that they will pay as much as those teams that consider themselves favorites.

now would be the time to cash in but I think the #1 thing on CSEC hockey ops mind is do they fire Treliving or not.

Remember how much Columbus paid to sneak in a few years ago? Different teams have different goals.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
shudder...because I can see Treliving/Sutter doing that this year

“I told them, ‘I’d like to help this group, but put yourself in my shoes,’” said Treliving, whose club is three points behind Minnesota for the final wild card berth.

I’m not going to start throwing out top assets. I think we’re a good team that has underperformed.

We’ve done all our work on the deadline, we have a sense of what’s going on out there.

When you get to the time of year you’ve played 50-plus games, you kind of know where your team is at.

It’s not like things are going to change dramatically the next two games.

SN: You haven’t been close to pulling the trigger on anything?

BT: That would be fair. There are things that are out there, but there’s nothing that has made sense for us.

Everybody is always focused on buying or selling, but you may stand pat.

Where we’re at now, you’ve got to be careful putting first and second round picks for UFAs, in my opinion.

SN: Is it possible you could be a seller?

BT: You don’t just move players for the sake of moving them.

We don’t have expiring contracts that are going to return massive assets.

We’re having conversations on all kinds of stuff.

At the end of the day you’d always like to help the team, but the team has got to be in a position where you can help them.

He's been saying this consistently for about a month now

Reactions: Tofveve

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011

I think your on the right track but I would rather saddle them with Tanev who has always been somewhat of a porcelain princess and I think the Oilers need a better ? Goalie that's why I suggested forcing Markstrom on them as part of any deal , Vladar has developed nicely and Wolf is ready to move up into the backup role so the Flames could take some expiring players off the Oilers cap to balance the money and end up with space to re-tool or re-sign next year . Kylington should be back next year so we aren't hard up for D just the money to pay them all . Something like Campbell , Klefbom and a pic would be decent if we can then flip Campbell for a young player and another expiring contract

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Treliving isn't against trading with the Oilers, but I think the optics of a BOA will be very different if we started moving key players vs role players. TBH, I'm not sure what would happen if both Albertan teams "colluded" to allow for back and forth cycles of contention vs always seemingly contending at the same time.

Fire Sutter and live and die with the offense let loose.....

Boudreau?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad