Trade deadline: Buyers or sellers?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What should the Flames do at this year's Trade Deadline?

• Buyers - add players to the current roster.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Sellers - trade players from the current roster for futures.

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • Stand Pat - do nothing, hope everything works out

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
1. Lindholm to Dallas for Faksa, Bourque, Harley, 2024 1st
2. Zadorov, Backlund to Carolina for Jack Drury, 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, 2024 2nd
3. Tanev and Toffoli to Vegas for Hague, Cormier, 2023 1st, 2025 3rd

Retain salary only for this season to make these work.

4. Sign Coronato once Harvard done
5. Slide in standings, win 2nd lotto spot, draft Fantilli (didn’t put Bedard, I’m trying to be realistic with this retool)
6. Sign a few UFA vets to replace what was traded.

Retool completed.
One issue is that you have to either retain for the full term or not at all.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I am disappointed in this years team. Now I feel the team will stand pat hope for the best. If that is the direction they want to go if I were Murray Edward I would at season end not renew Treliving contract and fire Sutter. Reason we only had one good playoff run the whole time Treliving was here was last season and Sutter does not like playing young guys unless force too. I would like a GM willing to make moves to help the team win not for sake of making a trade. A coach who is willing to try youth on the roster.

Reactions: Tofveve

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
They should sell. It's in their best interest both long and short term.

We all know for a fact that they won't sell while in a playoff spot. They will be in a playoff spot next year.

The only thing consistent about 95% of NHL goalies (excluding consistent studs like Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, etc and bums like Martin Jones) is that they're inconsistent. I'd bet Markstrom performs at league average or better next season and the team will do better with good goaltending.

We've also seen some of the crazy prices that are being paid for players with low cap hits. The Flames have a bunch of guys with 1 season left after this season, they can retain on those guys and sell high on them. There are 2 big benefits to this.

1. Cap flexibility. The Flames aren't going to be able to re-sign half of their upcoming UFAs anyways. Trade them now and you open up cap space that can be spent on improving the team when high salary players shake loose (or when a team needs to move money and you get a Bjorkstrand for basically nothing type trade).

2. Assets. Part of the reason we aren't in the Chychrun or Meier sweepstakes is because the Flames have nothing in the way of expendable assets. They've been working on a pick deficit since 2017 with 2020 being the only real exception. They need to get talent into he pipeline both for the future and so they have something to trade to improve now and over the next couple years.

I think you sell high on a couple of the 2024 UFAs and quit chasing the game. Plus you might be able to add more Sutter style players if he's sticking around.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If they are shopping the ufas next season I am stunned. They are playing jt smart, I refuse to believe it.

I can changed my vote to sell. They are done, and this recent stretch has changed my mind on it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It would be really smart to sell at this stage.
This team could have a really quick turnaround depending the assets that come back. Huberdeau isn't going anywhere. Kadri isn't going anywhere. Down seasons for both of them.

I think anyone that's a 2024 UFA should be on the table. Even guys that are crucial for this team, like Backlund, Lindholm and Tanev.

I think @Tkachuk Norris said it earlier, if you can get the young NHL-ready players like Byram or Newhook, I think you could really flip this roster over quickly and with the additions of our young guys, could be in a position to really compete again in 2023-34.

Remember, Matt Coronato will be joining this club this year or next year regardless. Now all of a sudden you have guys like Pelletier, who look like they're going to be gamers, Coronato, who's our most exciting non-NHL prospect since Johnny plus these new young guys coming into the lineup.

Thing is, the way this team plays you could still compete for a spot in reality. I'm not convinced on anyone in the Pacific anyway. Would it shock anyone to see Edmonton go 2-8 in a 10 game stretch or Seattle fall off the planet? You could do a both-sides-win thing here.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is nothing to sell

No real up coming UFA

Lindholm, Tanev and Backlund are probably too expensive and buyers already spent.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Would love to sell, or be good enough to buy, but we are in our classic mediocre flames form at the moment, so guess we will stand pat and just get one of the worst draft picks for a non playoff team yet again? lol

Honestly if this year is a failure I wouldnt mind giving this roster with maybe a couple tweaks another chance next season with a new system and coach, but I would still try to sell off the extra fat if possible to recoup some much needed futures to build up the prospect pool a bit.

Reactions: thaman8765678

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Flames do anything, it'll be some variation of selling and then immediately, or at latest by the draft, buying.

I.e. Selling Hanifin/Toffoli/Backlund for a 1st+, and then using those assets and probably more to get Chychrun or some other defenseman like that.

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
I like Elias really really much.

But what about Lindholm + Hanifin for Duclair, Bennet, and picks or prospects?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I like Elias really really much.

But what about Lindholm + Hanifin for Duclair, Bennet, and picks or prospects?

I wouldn’t make that deal for Lindholm or Hanifin on their own, let alone both of them.

Bennett and Duclair make zero sense for us. They are the exact kind of players we should not be adding.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
I wouldn’t make that deal for Lindholm or Hanifin on their own, let alone both of them.

Bennett and Duclair make zero sense for us. They are the exact kind of players we should not be adding.
The only idea is to put them with Huby again and hope it will work.

Reactions: MM917

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The only idea is to put them with Huby again and hope it will work.

I think trying to recreate a part of a Florida Panthers team that wasn't successful is the way to go. Giving up our two most valuable pieces to do so is even worse.

Surely Hubredeau isn't so useless that he can only play with those two specific players. I think the way to go would be looking at what made that line successful and getting players that can recreate some of that but are much better players than Bennett and Duclair who are very meh players at best.

For any Lilndholm or Hanifin deal, especially Lindholm, we need to look to get back top level youth/picks. Borderline 2nd/3rd line players doesn't cut it, we are chalk full of those on the team already and guys in our system with that level of upside at best. We need actual talent.

Reactions: SlovakFlame

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If the Flames want to take advantage of the sellers Market they need to act quickly...i personally would approach the Sabres with something around
Lindholm for Savoie, 2023 1st and a 2023 2nd

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
For a win now GM Brad is sure sitting around. Mentioned another forward for months. I would have paid a 2024 2nd for Niederreiter. PP needs a boost. I would have paid a 2025 3rd for Ghost. If we added those guys a few weeks ago we’d be in a playoff spot right now imo. At a relatively minor cost.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
For a win now GM Brad is sure sitting around. Mentioned another forward for months. I would have paid a 2024 2nd for Niederreiter. PP needs a boost. I would have paid a 2025 3rd for Ghost. If we added those guys a few weeks ago we’d be in a playoff spot right now imo. At a relatively minor cost.
Mentioned another scoring forward, while quite literally saying whether it’s from a trade or a prospect. Pelletier has stepped up to fill that role quite well so far.

Scoring hasn’t been our problem for a while outside the powerplay, and we aren’t going to find a forward for cheap that provides better offense than Lindholm, Toffoli, Kadri, Huberdeau, or even Mangiapane and Dube. A #5 Dman to displace Stone/Gilbert and help Zadorov, and a goalie capable of making a save currently are our biggest needs.

Prices are also crazy inflated right now, don’t blame him for not spending in a season we aren’t guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Side note: Ghost would get strangled by Sutter in like the first 5 games he played here with his style.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is Brad Trevling's last season as the GM of the Calgary Flames, one would think he'd go down swinging but no, he just doesn't swing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad