GDT: Trade Deadline 2015

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From the thread on the trade board:
So here's what I'm seeing:
  • Kekalainen opted not to insure Norton's contract in an attempt to avoid paying a particular deductible that would have rendered said insurance utterly valueless in the first year.
  • This back injury thing came up. Oh crap.
  • Kekalainen recovers by replacing a guy who can't play with someone who can paid at about the same rate.
  • Toronto gets to pursue a replacement for the Clarkson experiment, because they don't care about the lack of insurance.
It's not ideal, but it's a reasonable recovery from a gamble that turned into an absolute-worst-case-scenario.

Seem to align with what McKenzie said on TSN.

Edit:

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wonder why Horton's contract was uninsured though, maybe uninsurable due to his injury history? If not it seems like a major oversight on the part if CBJ

Those were my thoughts as well. Apparently the Jackets have been in a real dispute with the insurance provider and were unable to get any sort of compensation for Horton.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What exactly are the ramifications for not insuring his contract?
With an insured contract the insurance company pays the salary for the injured player. With it being uninsured the team is on the hook for the salary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh okay I can see why that would matter. Thanks!
Yep and with Columbus being a budget team they can't afford to keep a contract until 2020 where the player isn't playing. So trading Horton's contract for Clarkson's makes perfect sense for them; they don't pay someone to not play and they actually save 1.4 million over the next few years.

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
Yep and with Columbus being a budget team they can't afford to keep a contract until 2020 where the player isn't playing. So trading Horton's contract for Clarkson's makes perfect sense for them; they don't pay someone to not play and they actually save 1.4 million over the next few years.

Yeah and where Toronto is... Toronto, they can afford to pay a player to not play, while avoiding the cap hit. :handclap:

Gotta say I was hoping Clarkson would turn it around; I really don't think he is as bad as he has been made out to be, but this trade does seem to make sense for both sides. Even Clarkson sort of wins here, he doesn't get to play for his hometown club anymore, but he gets to go to a quieter market, a team on the upswing, where he isn't pressured to be THE guy anymore.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I wake up to no trade news? what is this?

They've been waiting until after lunch it seems.

Bobby Mac is doing an AMA in about 20 minutes. No new NHL happenings allowed until he's ready to report them. It's the universal law.

I hope all these pre-TDL trades don't lessen the impact of deadline transactions this year too much.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bobby Mac is doing an AMA in about 20 minutes. No new NHL happenings allowed until he's ready to report them. It's the universal law.

I hope all these pre-TDL trades don't lessen the impact of deadline transactions this year too much.
I've actually notice MacKenzie hasn't been the first to report much (if anything) first this year. LeBrun has been the one to follow this year so far.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A list of all trades so far in 2015.

Team | Acquired | Date | Acquired | Team
PGH | David Perron | Jan-02 | Rob Klinkhammer, 1st in 2015 | EDM |
CGY | Drew Shore | Jan-09 | Corban Knight | FLA |
MIN | Devan Dubnyk | Jan-14 | 3rd in 2015 | PHX |
STL | Marcel Goc | Jan-27 | Maxim Lapierre | PGH |
CHI | Gustav Forsling | Jan-29 | Adam Clendening | VAN |
TBL | Carter Ashton, Davil Broll | Feb-06 | Conditionl 7th in 2016 | TOR |
SJS | Evgeni Nabokov | Feb-09 | Future Considerations | TBL |
WPG | Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux, Conditional 1st in 2015 [Pick Conditions: Lowest of Sabres 3 picks in the 1st round] | Feb-11 | Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jason Kasdorf | BUF |
DAL | Jhonas Enroth | Feb-11 | Andres Lindback, 3rd in 2016 | BUF |
NSH | Cody Franson, Mike Santorelli | Feb-15 | Olli Jokinen, Brendan Leipsic, 1st in 2015 | TOR |
MTL | Devante Smith-Pelly | Feb-24 | Jiri Sekac | AHM |
MIN | Sean Bergenheim, 7th in 2016 | Feb-24 | 3rd in 2016 | FLA |
WPG | Jiri Tlusty | Feb-25 | 3rd in 2016, Conditional 6th in 2015 [Pick Conditions: Unknown] | CAR |
PGH | Daniel Winnik | Feb-25 | Zach Sill, 2nd in 2016, 4th in 2015 | TOR |
LAK | Andrej Sekera | Feb-25 | Roland McKeown, Conditional 1st in 2015 [Pick Conditions: Becomes 2016 pick if Kings miss playoffs] | CAR |
STL | Adam Cracknell | Feb-26 | Future Considerations | CBJ |
TOR | TJ Brennan | Feb-26 | Spencer Abbott | CHI |
FLA | Jaromir Jagr | Feb-26 | 2nd in 2015, Conditional 3rd in 2016 [Pick Conditions: Devils choice of FLA or MIN pick] | NJD |
TOR | Nathan Horton | Feb-26 | David Clarkson | CBJ |
| | - | | |
| | - | | |
| | - | | |
| | - | | |
| | - | | |
| | - | | |

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad