Torts Reform: Coaching Discussion Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Torts is about to speak and I’m about to go back to work. If you want his quotes you’ll have to wait until later, someone else find them and post them, or you can click on the various Twitter handles above and see them happen live :)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
[/QUOTE]

The dreaded vote of confidence... this was on the Blackhawks board.. a name to watch from Finland , hge indicates he has been in contact with an NHL team..

Not gonna post any links or anything but....that is what i understood,
read between the lines from his recent interview, he admits the talks with one NHL team
but he didn't want to say more, because nothing was on paper yet.

Jussi Ahokas (40) is one of the better coaches outside NA btw.
- he single handedly, pretty much, took the worst team KooKoo in the SM-Liiga, to a top 5 team

2 x world champion coach (WJC & WJC-U18)
1 x silver from wjc u18

+

2 x bronze medals from women's worlds

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If any finnish coach, imho it has to be Jukka Jalonen. He is definitely good enough for NHL. He makes team with material just like this to overperform and win championships. But Id rather not see Finnish coach here tbh. I feel that the locals wouldnt believe he could be actually good and see it as some kind of homerism from Kekäläinen.

FEL championship with HPK, not biggest star / budget team.

2019 World Championship, 0 NHL players / NHL goals. Two Ahlers, 2 KHL players and 14 Finnish Liiga players. In quarter finals against Sweden that was stacked, then in semis Russia that was stacked with stars as well as Sweden. And in Final beating Canada. And it was second time they beat canada in that tournament. With roster of tlaent that was NOWHERE NEAR those others. He got them playing with heart and effort, as a unit, and won.

Jukka Jalonen factually is one of the best coaches that there is in hockey. Results speak, but not just those, the way his teams play also speak. In important games, when it matters.

Last edited:

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
2AHWKb4.jpg

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Jarmo decides to fulfill his personal fantasy by turning this team over to a Finnish coach who is looking for NHL experience, I am done with this team and will want my back for next year.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
If Jarmo decides to fulfill his personal fantasy by turning this team over to a Finnish coach who is looking for NHL experience, I am done with this team and will want my back for next year.

1. I highly doubt we hire anyone with zero experience at the nhl level to replace torts.

2.if he does, a coaches nationality means nothing and jarmo has proven time and time again he doesn’t look at the passport and either should anyone.

Reactions: Viqsi

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I do not want to see this team become part of someone else's learning curve.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I do not want to see this team become part of someone else's learning curve.
Would you rather have a retread that’s most likely been fired at multiple places ? A young coach that’s not proven but successful at the AHL level ?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
At least Jalonen is better coach than Torts. But its not like some one is coming over because at hfboards its talked about. Relax. Theyll get someone who was raised in Alaska / north Canada to get respect from fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This team also has an internal cap (see: coaching staff taking 20% pay cuts).
The "internal cap" is a proven falsehood. It was the proposed explanation (by many here) as to why we pretty much gave away Murray and Nutivaara because folks were not willing to buy the (at the time) obviously preposterous notion that Kekalainen had of PLD potentially signing an offer sheet. We know better now, so this myth can and should be put to rest. Especially given that we are far from the only team - or only anything - that has trimmed expenses elsewhere in response to the pandemic and its economic impact.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The "internal cap" is a proven falsehood. It was the proposed explanation (by many here) as to why we pretty much gave away Murray and Nutivaara because folks were not willing to buy the (at the time) obviously preposterous notion that Kekalainen had of PLD potentially signing an offer sheet. We know better now, so this myth can and should be put to rest. Especially given that we are far from the only team - or only anything - that has trimmed expenses elsewhere in response to the pandemic and its economic impact.

What? We're trimming expenses...but there's not an internal cap?

Also, how was this proven/disproven?

EDITED to not violate TOS.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What? We're trimming expenses...but there's not an internal cap?

Also, how was this proven/disproven? I know several people who work for the team and they say there's an internal cap (both overall expenses - coaches, staff, etc. - and in regards to the CBA cap hits).
Seravalli: At least 17 NHL teams have reduced pay amid COVID-19 crunch - TSN.ca

Please, do feel free to try to sell the idea that the Bruins, Blackhawks, Ducks, Kings, Penguins, Canucks, Canadiens, Oilers, Sabres, Red Wings, Stars, Flames, Preds, and Blues are also all under an internal cap. I might believe it for the Jets, and the Sens are obvious because Melnyk, but otherwise...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Please, do feel free to try to sell the idea that the Bruins, Blackhawks, Ducks, Kings, Penguins, Canucks, Canadiens, Oilers, Sabres, Red Wings, Stars, Flames, Preds, and Blues are also all under an internal cap. I might believe it for the Jets, and the Sens are obvious because Melnyk, but otherwise...

This, uh, doesn't disprove that the Jackets are operating under an internal cap this season.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017

Which one of those teams traded good depth dmen for nothing besides reducing payroll?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This, uh, doesn't disprove that the Jackets are operating under an internal cap this season.
Evidence submitted in support of them having an internal cap:
1) The coaching staff pay cuts:
This team also has an internal cap (see: coaching staff taking 20% pay cuts).
2) Self-anecdotal hearsay of the type that is actually against site rules (see Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League #8):
I know several people who work for the team and they say there's an internal cap (both overall expenses - coaches, staff, etc. - and in regards to the CBA cap hits).

#1 has been demonstrated to not have any correlation to internal caps and #2 is inadmissible. As such, there is no remaining supporting evidence. That's generally as good as one can get when attempting to prove a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad