Speculation: "Toronto's forward lines look like Swiss cheese" - Jay Rosehill

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
I mean you just got rid of two of our top PK guys so who are you replacing them with in this lineup? people who want to move Kampf/Jarnkrok generally just looking at offense with no care about the defensive side of the game or the Penalty kill. we were a terrible PK last year and by the looks of it from a forward perspective you just made it worst.
Järnkrok is a stud, people on this board just have the shortest of memories and want to trade him whenever he has a bad stretch in terms of point-production. Before he got injured, he was having a really solid first half, putting up lots of goals while also being sound defensively. He didn't score nearly as much towards the end of the season (can be applied for anyone not named Matthews, McMann, and I guess Bertuzzi's hot streak), but his value primarily lies in his defensive capabilities.

Kampf is also solid 4th liner, his salary cap is just too high for what he provides (wouldn't have been as much of a problem if our core wasn't also overpaid).

Reactions: Gallagbi

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
According to capwages, the team has 875k of cap space left with 11F, 7D and 2G. How does the team fit in Robertson (RFA) or Cowan (905k) on the team?

EDIT: That number is with 12 forwards, which makes this question irrelevant. I guess a forward would need to be sent down if Robertson is signed

hopefully Hakanpaa isn't signed and Reaves is sent to the AHL

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Swiss Cheese until all the young blood like Knies, Robertson, Nylander, Cowan and Minten break out (within realistic expectations) behind the core 4. Domi will also be a great leader for this group.

Nylander is at his age 26 season and just had a mini break out in goals. Immensely skilled player. He will reach / pace the 20 goal mark if he plays with us. Look for some Florida Panthers style breakouts from at least 2 of the above group. My money is on Knies and Nylander making a run at 25 goals each.
William or Alexander?

I honestly keep forgetting that this guy is a Leaf and he's been here two years already lmao
He's been injured and vanilla...

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Jarnkork a stud :biglaugh: he's the type of guy to dive out of the way of game losing goals in overtime of the playoffs. Perfect example of an EA sports player and not a Stanley Cup Playoffs player.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I was more concerned with Keefe than any of the players.

Other coaches got more with less.
Finally someone who recognizes that the biggest issue on this team was Keefe. Since the playoff loss to Montreal where he got out coached by a Junior coach he changed how the team plays by coaching not to lose rather than coach to win the games. This soft forecheck and sit back defensively system he kept using in the playoffs was doomed for failure. Good coaching matters a lot in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Finally someone who recognizes that the biggest issue on this team was Keefe. Since the playoff loss to Montreal where he got out coached by a Junior coach he changed how the team plays by coaching not to lose rather than coach to win the games. This soft forecheck and sit back defensively system he kept using in the playoffs was doomed for failure. Good coaching matters a lot in the playoffs.
Finally??
Many have been saying that for years but it's just being overwhelmed right now by the dozen or so redundantly blaming everything on Marner.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Finally??
Many have been saying that for years but it's just being overwhelmed right now by the dozen or so redundantly blaming everything on Marner.
I don't know if its many. Too many people blamed one of the "core 4" every year after the playoff loses but when a Coach says things like we were unprepared for a playoff series like he did with the Florida series or this year where he said teams simply sit back and let us beat ourselves that is not a coach I want in the playoffs. He coached not to lose.

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
Jarnkork a stud :biglaugh: he's the type of guy to dive out of the way of game losing goals in overtime of the playoffs. Perfect example of an EA sports player and not a Stanley Cup Playoffs player.
Lmao, keep nitpicking with bizarre scenarios, he does his job well as a third-liner and is hardly the reason this team keeps being ass when it matters.

He is the guy we need to get rid of. We have cap issues. What is he worth in trade?
Yes, clearing up 2.1 million and removing one of our more reliable middle-6 players sure is going to solve the cap issues :laugh:.

Reactions: Gallagbi and Mckay

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Lmao, keep nitpicking with bizarre scenarios, he does his job well as a third-liner and is hardly the reason this team keeps being ass when it matters.

Yes, clearing up 2.1 million and removing one of our more reliable middle-6 players sure is going to solve the cap issues :laugh:.
Sure didn't look reliable in the playoffs. We need picks and cap space. Something will give.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs Morning Take Podcast

July 18th podcast 11:30 into the show

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Cowen Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves

Minton, Dewer, and Holmberg out

"Too many no name guys to do something special"

'The defense looks solid. The forward group looks like Swiss cheese to me".

I think I agree.
Knies Matty Domi
McMann Homberg Willy
Cowen JT Mitch
Dewer Minton Reaves

Kampf Jankrok and Robertson lets hope we can find 3 homes for those guys .. maybe we can land another C for some combo of those 3 plus Holmberg .. lots of work still to do

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

How is overtime in an elimination game a bizarre scenario? We all watched it happen (not all of us apparently). The guy isn't pulling the rope in the right direction. Some of you folks are scared to talk about Matthews being this way, but I guess even Jarnkork is a step too far. At least Matthews is a goal suck, what's the reason to protect Jarnkork. :help: Personally, I will acknowledge every fairy on the team because personally, I would like my team to win.

Oh wait, I figured it out. This is another one of those pet project guys that nerds will pick to prove how smart they are. "He's actually really good, I swear!!! Nevermind reality, I'm smarter than reality!"

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't know if its many. Too many people blamed one of the "core 4" every year after the playoff loses but when a Coach says things like we were unprepared for a playoff series like he did with the Florida series or this year where he said teams simply sit back and let us beat ourselves that is not a coach I want in the playoffs. He coached not to lose.
I personally want a referendum on the last couple of weeks leading to the playoffs. The team played a game of shinny every night in order to get Matthews/Nylander their Milestones. It drove me nuts that Keefe allowed them to play like that before their opening playoff series against Boston.

I know Keefe is gone, and I'm kicking a dead horse. I guess I was most surprised at the lack of fan outrage.

It will pass...

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
How is overtime in an elimination game a bizarre scenario? We all watched it happen (not all of us apparently). The guy isn't pulling the rope in the right direction. Some of you folks are scared to talk about Matthews being this way, but I guess even Jarnkork is a step too far. At least Matthews is a goal suck, what's the reason to protect Jarnkork. :help: Personally, I will acknowledge every fairy on the team because personally, I would like my team to win.

Oh wait, I figured it out. This is another one of those pet project guys that nerds will pick to prove how smart they are. "He's actually really good, I swear!!! Nevermind reality, I'm smarter than reality!"
It is bizarre to expect someone that was thrown out of balance to just tank the puck with their face in a series that was more or less concluded, and then disregard the player as nothing more than a fairy. Get over yourself, this team needs to do a lot more than to simply display a bit of grit to get somewhere. I never claimed that Järnkrok is some sort of demigod, but he is a decent two-way playmaker who takes a lot more flak because he isn't flashy nor very physical.

Last year Järnkrok netted 20 goals and was 6th in scoring on the team, this year he was 5th in scoring and 2nd in +/- before he got injured, all while being decent on the defensive end (not amazing by any means, but A LOT better than most of our other forwards) at a mere 2.1 mil. Yes, he was invisible in this years playoffs, but so was like 90% of our roster, Willy and Woll almost carried us to the second round, but as always, we fell short at the very end.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
They really need a young player to take a step forward in development this year and improve the depth.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This (Rosehill) comment seems like click bait and nothing more.

Swiss cheese? Holes? No names? Possibly all true, but also true for just about every team in the NHL.

Our top 12 or 13 are:

Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Nylander
Knies
Domi
Kampf
Jarnkrok
McMann
Dewar
Robertson
Holmberg
Reaves

Who are the "no-names" exactly? McMann Dewar? Robertson? Holmberg?

McMann and Robertson are prospects playing in the top nine. Every team in the league would take McMann on their roster. Robertson is a make or break year, kind of guy but not a no-names. He has pedigree and every fanbase knows who he is...look at the main board thread.

Dewar has almost 200 games as a serviceable bottom liner. Ok. Maybe Holmberg is a no-name. One of these guys could be sat to let Reaves play, is that better because people have heard of him?

Look at these other contenders some no-namers on everyone of them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806-173553.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173553.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240806-173650.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173650.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240806-173734.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173734.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240806-173819.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173819.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240806-173904.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173904.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240806-173941.png
    Screenshot_20240806-173941.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240806-174015.png
    Screenshot_20240806-174015.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 2

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I looks to me like they are banking on it...
They should be.

This team and its fortunes look a lot different if...

Marner, Tavares, Kampf, and Jarnkrok off the books after this season

...and their replacements all on league minimum/ELC...say from Cowan, Grebyenkin, Minten, Quillan, Hirvoven, Steeves and Tverberg. Those guys can't step in completely but we would have $25M or so to spend.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
They should be.

This team and its fortunes look a lot different if...

Marner, Tavares, Kampf, and Jarnkrok off the books after this season

...and their replacements all on league minimum/ELC...say from Cowan, Grebyenkin, Minten, Quillan, Hirvoven, Steeves and Tverberg. Those guys can't step in completely but we would have $25M or so to spend.
Kampf and Jarnkok are not UFA's after this seasont hey would have to be traded. ( I think only one is). The Leafs will have over 30million in cap space if the increase in the cap is only the same as this years. The increase could be as high as 7-8 million if the league and the union can come to anagreement on it.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Kampf and Jarnkok are not UFA's after this seasont hey would have to be traded. ( I think only one is). The Leafs will have over 30million in cap space if the increase in the cap is only the same as this years. The increase could be as high as 7-8 million if the league and the union can come to anagreement on it.
I am absolutely believing they can and will trade Jarnkrok and Kampf. Jarnkrok might be a UFA. Yeah, the cap could go higher, I was being conservative. Some of that is spent on Woll's increase.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00