Speculation: "Toronto's forward lines look like Swiss cheese" - Jay Rosehill

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The story is the players whined and the coach walk back his comments. That doesn’t happen in very many places, but with the poor weak media fans in Toronto, it becomes acceptable.

and It's all speculation and anyway, if a coach can't go in the locker room and tell them/ challenge them or whatever when they're playing soft hockey... he would never had any NHL coach job of his life. It's the basis of coaching. Rhe fact we don't heard even 1% of every thing said in locker room doesn't mean that's not happening.

It's more a public game with media than a internal issue.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
and It's all speculation and anyway, if a coach can't go in the locker room and tell them/ challenge them or whatever when they're playing soft hockey... he would never had any NHL coach job of his life. It's the basis of coaching. Rhe fact we don't heard even 1% of every thing said in locker room doesn't mean that's not happening.

It's more a public game with media than an internal issue.
He commented in the post game and walked it back after the players whined.

Not surprising the same player has actually played disinterested in the playoffs.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He commented in the post game and walked it back after the players whined.

Not surprising the same player has actually played disinterested in the playoffs.

1- outside of maybe Tortorella, every coach will choose to say his message in private in locker room than in the front of media... The fact he walked it back or whatever is just good for fan, media and people waiting for something to talk about... But in internal, that's change absolutly nothing because he had already sent his message to his player.

Nylander miss first 3 game with migraine issues

Matthews at the end of gm 2 was sick and get hit gm 4 and been injured

Marner missed 12 of last 16 with an high ankle injury... depending of severity of his injury, extremely high chance he didn't play at 100% too

Did they played desinterested or hurt/injured ?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
1- outside of maybe Tortorella, every coach will choose to say his message in private in locker room than in the front of media... The fact he walked it back or whatever is just good for fan, media and people waiting for something to talk about... But in internal, that's change absolutly nothing because he had already sent his message to his player.

Marner missed 12 of last 16 with an high ankle injury... depending of severity of his injury, extremely high chance he didn't play at 100% too

Walked it back after the players whined.

Some also whined during the locker clean day after defending the performance. He looked disinterested but I could be a lack of ability to play in those situations.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One of these players was making $7 mil AAV and the other one $10.9 mil AAV .. Do you consider Marner worth almost + $4 mil more than Willy based on production?

Stats can't be similar because the Cap hits are not.
The stats are similar enough even just looking at ice time or quality of linemates.

The $4M per season difference was just a bonus.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

That’s just the latest in an 8 year string of excuses. Maybe if they had elevated their game at some point during the past 7 years they might get a bit of a break but they have squandered all the good will

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
That’s just the latest in an 8 year string of excuses. Maybe if they had elevated their game at some point during the past 7 years they might get a bit of a break but they have squandered all the good will

Players play injured all the time. Tkachuks leg, Bergys broken rib, Krejcis back I could go on, but the point was made.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
One of these players was making $7 mil AAV and the other one $10.9 mil AAV .. Do you consider Marner worth almost + $4 mil more than Willy based on production?

Over their contracts? Yes.

Last season? No.

Hagel > McDavid?

Hagel put up 75 points in 82 games and was only making $1.5 million.

Do you consider McDavid's worth $11 million more than Hagel's based on production?

Reactions: thusk

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think the question is do Tanev and Woll stay healthy? If not this is yet another wasted year with no draft picks next year. Management is gambling as of right now.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I think the question is do Tanev and Woll stay healthy? If not this is yet another wasted year with no draft picks next year. Management is gambling as of right now.
Other questions certainly: Does Matthews stay healthy and perform in the playoffs as he does in the regular season? Does Reilly return to his playoffs form of a few years ago? When Woll is injured, does Stolarz shore up the position without a dip in quality? And on and on.

But to be clear, Treliving's management core didn't gamble the 2025 1st away. Dubas did. Treliving is merely clearing the debris away while keeping his eye on the prize. We're a year away from seeing what Treliving (and management) are able to do when contracts come off the books. In the interim, Treliving has done a good job, and performed it differently than Dubas in as positive a way as I think any fanbase could hope for, all things considered.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Other questions certainly: Does Matthews stay healthy and perform in the playoffs as he does in the regular season? Does Reilly return to his playoffs form of a few years ago? When Woll is injured, does Stolarz shore up the position without a dip in quality? And on and on.

But to be clear, Treliving's management core didn't gamble the 2025 1st away. Dubas did. Treliving is merely clearing the debris away while keeping his eye on the prize. We're a year away from seeing what Treliving (and management) are able to do when contracts come off the books. In the interim, Treliving has done a good job, and performed it differently than Dubas in as positive a way as I think any fanbase could hope for, all things considered.

Treliving has spent $50 million+ of the cap, the fact that no significant changes have happened and people seem to be fine with it and praising it in some cases is hilarious.

I am fine with it because I still believe these players can put it together (also was fine with change).

60% of the cap was spent and the change is that we have Tanev now.

Seems like there should be more outrage on this board.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Treliving has spent $50 million+ of the cap, the fact that no significant changes have happened and people seem to be fine with it and praising it in some cases is hilarious.

I am fine with it
because I still believe these players can put it together (also was fine with change).

60% of the cap was spent and the change is that we have Tanev now.

Seems like there should be more outrage on this board.
Couldn't disagree more.

What precisely is hilarious about praising Treliving under the circumstances he's received with the job he's done and the options available him? Mindful its qualified by a lack of significant changes, while we ignore: OEL and Stolarz.

And yet you're fine with it, so it's ok, because you believe in the core that what? Others who don't by supporting the job Treliving and Co. have cobbled together?

Well, on that note of management: Treliving fired Keefe and hired Berube, and then somehow exponentially upgraded our chief amateur scout from Dubas acolyte Wes Clark to Jim Nill's Detroit/Dallas consigliere Mark Leach.

And your conclusion is: There should be more outrage.

Roger that.

Reactions: egd27

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

People love to ignore this fact.

One commands way more cap space and has the luxury of playing with Matthews whereas the other is always stuck with Tavares and/or spare parts. Relatively speaking, Nylander has far outperformed Marner on their contracts.

Of course, this upcoming season is where things could change but up to this point, it’s not difficult to see why fans are harder on Marner than Nylander.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Walked it back after the players whined.

Some also whined during the locker clean day after defending the performance. He looked disinterested but I could be a lack of ability to play in those situations.

a storm in a glasse of water. Giving too much credit to a banal thing and trying to make a huge story around it

Maybe he just saw media make a hole story with this and just want to stop this
or
watching game video or talk with his coaching staff and realize he was overreacting or whatever...

If someone walked away from his comment to don't hurt player of his team, sorry he should not be an NHL coach, that's it. It's his job !!!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
a storm in a glasse of water. Giving too much credit to a banal thing and trying to make a huge story around it

Maybe he just saw media make a hole story with this and just want to stop this
or
watching game video or talk with his coaching staff and realize he was overreacting or whatever...

If someone walked away from his comment to don't hurt player of his team, sorry he should not be an NHL coach, that's it. It's his job !!!
There was no story….. until he walked it back……and that became the story. Once again the story here is some players whined and the coach walked back his criticism.

The media talked about it, but they didn’t press much because they’re fans and want access. One of the benefits to Marner leaving will be the media stories will finally come out. Mirtle thought for certain he was gone a started to spill the beans, but he had to cap it when he realized he wasn’t going anywhere.

This is why I continue to say it’s an easy media market to play in. There may be lots of them, but for the most part they’re very weak and timid.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Over their contracts? Yes.

Last season? No.

Hagel > McDavid?

Hagel put up 75 points in 82 games and was only making $1.5 million.

Do you consider McDavid's worth $11 million more than Hagel's based on production?
Other than the season he got off to a very slow start because he couldn't even practice with the team because Dubas wouldn't give him a contract, I don't think there's been anything close to a $4M difference in their play.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

What precisely is hilarious about praising Treliving under the circumstances he's received with the job he's done and the options available him? Mindful its qualified by a lack of significant changes, while we ignore: OEL and Stolarz.

A backup and a bottom 4 D (that we hope is middle pairing) are the hope you are holding onto? Once again, it is all up to the core.

Treliving hasn't changed anything, the team is the same as before, what is there to praise?

And yet you're fine with it, so it's ok, because you believe in the core that what? Others who don't by supporting the job Treliving and Co. have cobbled together?

I'm fine with keeping the group together if there are no other options.

Just not sure what there is to praise.

Well, on that note of management: Treliving fired Keefe and hired Berube, and then somehow exponentially upgraded our chief amateur scout from Dubas acolyte Wes Clark to Jim Nill's Detroit/Dallas consigliere Mark Leach.

Upgraded? Have you seen Dallas' drafting outside of the top of the draft? I am not convinced it is an upgrade. I also don't care to discuss drafts from 15 years ago in Detroit, would like to see some recent success.

Within the first two rounds, Dallas drafted well, outside of that, they are terrible.

And your conclusion is: There should be more outrage.

Roger that.

I am outraged by your lack of hockey knowledge currently, outside of that, I am just surprised how many are praising someone who is continuing Dubas' ways.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Other than the season he got off to a very slow start because he couldn't even practice with the team because Dubas wouldn't give him a contract, I don't think there's been anything close to a $4M difference in their play.

Just an FYI, Nylander caved, Dubas never came up to the ask, so guess that was a good thing... unless being tough in contracts is a bad thing now?

I still think the gap is $4 million over their contracts, and I don't think excluding a season just because Nylander tried to hold out is a good reason to remove it from his totals.

I'm not going to argue if it was $4 million or $2 million... there is an obvious gap and figuring out the exact number is pointless.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Just an FYI, Nylander caved, Dubas never came up to the ask, so guess that was a good thing... unless being tough in contracts is a bad thing now?

I still think the gap is $4 million over their contracts, and I don't think excluding a season just because Nylander tried to hold out is a good reason to remove it from his totals.

I'm not going to argue if it was $4 million or $2 million... there is an obvious gap and figuring out the exact number is pointless.
The way I heard it was Dubas wouldn't sign him and finally gave in at the deadline. Either way, Nylander missed a bunch of the season and had a very slow start.

I would agree the difference was $4M over the contracts, but nowhere close to $4M per year, other than that first one.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The way I heard it was Dubas wouldn't sign him and finally gave in at the deadline. Either way, Nylander missed a bunch of the season and had a very slow start.

I would agree the difference was $4M over the contracts, but nowhere close to $4M per year, other than that first one.
Playoffs during that contract period:

1723476573917.png

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
A backup and a bottom 4 D (that we hope is middle pairing) are the hope you are holding onto? Once again, it is all up to the core.

Treliving hasn't changed anything, the team is the same as before, what is there to praise?
Quote where I said Treliving's changes are the "hope I'm holding onto"?

The context is your claimed reasons for outrage vs my criticism that sees your criticism as outsized and disproportionate to your claim that there's nothing to praise.

I see you mention nothing by way of alternative options, nothing by way of Treliving's plainly and patently obvious upgrades in coaching and nothing that explains why Tanev, OEL and Stolarz (and Hankapaa) aren't reason for some optimism against Dubas's previous construction.

A cursory review of interviews and articles sees at least some optimism that Anthony Stolarz might be a possible starter solution, and that he was instrumental in maintaining the Panthers' integrity when Bobrovsky floundered.

Tanev, by all accounts is being received as precisely the type of defenseman that will transform the character of our defense. To say nothing of OEL's apparent value and transformation to a very efficient all-around defenseman who can run a power play.

If the core is the basis by which all of our hope is tethered to, it's logical to be optimistic to solutions provided to support pieces. In fact, that's the only place where hope can be applied, relational to the core.

The finer point is, he's not done. But for what he's managed to do, he's done a great job in identifying support needs, with two Stanely Cup champions no less.

Everyone with a modicum of sense and awareness about our situation knows and understands that Treliving's biggest window to affect change is next summer when contracts come off the books (if they're not extended).

I'm fine with keeping the group together if there are no other options.

Just not sure what there is to praise.
There is no argument, positive or negative, without invoking the core as fundamental to any possible success. It's not your argument in this argument or any argument about the possibilities of success for this club during the Matthews era.

You...understand that distinction, don't you?

Now what you don't apparently understand is that because the success is locked into the core's ability to push through the first round and beyond, having outrage at support pieces is nonsensical given the table set before ANY manager following Kyle Dubas' mess.

Upgraded? Have you seen Dallas' drafting outside of the top of the draft? I am not convinced it is an upgrade. I also don't care to discuss drafts from 15 years ago in Detroit, would like to see some recent success.

Within the first two rounds, Dallas drafted well, outside of that, they are terrible.
If you stare at your two paragraphs above long enough (and a few above), like hidden pictures in pictures, you'll see that not being able to see an upgrade from Wes Clark to Mark Leach is again, nonsensical.

You don't care about drafts 15 years ago? Fine. Omit whatever material evidence you dislike to your heart's content. But the skinny is this: Much of Detroit's success was attributed to Jim Nill's contribution. And that's from hockey minds like Scotty Bowman and Jim Devellano. Feel free to disregard their opinions and their historical hockey success as well. No slight taken.

But the finer point is, Jim Nill's first selection when moving from Detroit to Dallas was Mark Leach. Mark Leach, like Jim Nill, has Cups (plural) from Detroit. The Dallas Stars have (since 2013) haven't qualified for the playoffs three times, lost in the first round twice, the second round twice, lost in the Conference Finals twice (these last two years) and lost in the Stanely Cup Final once.

Mindful of Wes Clark's associated successes, what do you define as upgrade?

I am outraged by your lack of hockey knowledge currently, outside of that, I am just surprised how many are praising someone who is continuing Dubas' ways.
My lack of hockey knowledge "currently" is the reason you're outraged now?

LOL...So your reasons for outraged changes post to post and reason to reason? And on top of that you provide zero identified solutions you know to a certitude existed when Treliving and Co. began and finished their negotiations.

But the best thing about this interchange is, outside of your changed reason for outrage, you surprised there isn't more outrage for other reasons?

Is it a jump to say, perhaps you're more of a fan of being outraged than you are the club?

I hear knowledge is power. I suspect if you dug deeper trenches for your mind and filled your well of emotions with the excess, you'd be rationally pleased with an eye of optimism for the future. At worst, you wouldn't be indiscriminately outraged.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
There was no story….. until he walked it back……and that became the story. Once again the story here is some players whined and the coach walked back his criticism.

The media talked about it, but they didn’t press much because they’re fans and want access. One of the benefits to Marner leaving will be the media stories will finally come out. Mirtle thought for certain he was gone a started to spill the beans, but he had to cap it when he realized he wasn’t going anywhere.

This is why I continue to say it’s an easy media market to play in. There may be lots of them, but for the most part they’re very weak and timid.

In a city like Toronto or montreal, every small thing making a story on media.

Media and all pressure coming with the coty is the reason why exemple O'reilly didn't want to resign in Toronto and you're trying to convince yourself it's a easy media market to play him and what's happened with Marner at 1-1 didn't help and will not help Toronto in the futur. How many free agent do you think that's story with marner affraid last summer and will still affraid ufa to sign in Toronto. When everything going well, it's one of best city to play in but when it's going wrong, it's also one of worst city.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In a city like Toronto or montreal, every small thing making a story on media.

Media and all pressure coming with the coty is the reason why exemple O'reilly didn't want to resign in Toronto and you're trying to convince yourself it's a easy media market to play him and what's happened with Marner at 1-1 didn't help and will not help Toronto in the futur. How many free agent do you think that's story with marner affraid last summer and will still affraid ufa to sign in Toronto. When everything going well, it's one of best city to play in but when it's going wrong, it's also one of worst city.
I’ve watched it for yrs and can compare to other markets and it’s a very tame media. They may be annoying but they are very tame.

If the New York Yankees manager criticized his player for lack of effort and then walked it back, the media would be all over it, however in Toronto when it happened it was like nothing after a few hours.

I when I look at the situation where a player whines about being benched and then has some suspect efforts in the playoffs, I see red flags.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’ve watched it for yrs and can compare to other markets and it’s a very tame media. They may be annoying but they are very tame.

If the New York Yankees manager criticized his player for lack of effort and then walked it back, the media would be all over it, however in Toronto when it happened it was like nothing after a few hours.

I when I look at the situation where a player whines about being benched and then has some suspect efforts in the playoffs, I see red flags.
They just had an end of season press conference where they introduced a new suit and promised change because the patterns and patience indicated change was needed.

In front of your very eyes, they are just running it back. A new coat of paint on the same foundation. I’d say it’s pretty mild here and there is no accountability.

Very easy.
Step 1 fail.
Step 2 media goes crazy.
Step 3 say some stuff will change.
Step 4 do the same thing.
Step 5 everyone agrees yeah, that’s not bad.
Step 6. Expect different results.
Step 7. Go to step 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad