Proposal: Toronto-St.Louis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe TOR can retain a bit of Riellys caphit
Marner and Rielly are the two best players in the deal as of right now.
Tank has some work to do to be worth his caphit again.

Why some get so upset over a fantasy trade proposal on the internet is bizarre.

With his cap, current play and playoffs portfolio Marner has negative value. It looks like Toronto fans don't understand this though. For 11M/year a player must be 100 point scorer AND solid playoffs producer. Marner isn't.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Jesus thats bad for Toronto, i know marner is getting a lot hate in Toronto right now but still worth more that

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
The Blues value him as an emerging star on an extremely valuable bang for the buck deal.

You don't think an emerging star on a great deal at the end of which he's an RFA is worth two first round picks at a minimum, then I don't know what to tell you.
"Emerging" is the keyword. He was good last season and so far this season but 2 1st;s is just asinine.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
"Emerging" is the keyword. He was good last season and so far this season but 2 1st;s is just asinine.
You have an absolutely asinine understanding of value. Kyrou is untouchable regardless. The Blues would absolutely decline if some team offered them two firsts for him.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Well this is why St. Louis is St. Louis
I'm sorry? Last time I checked the Blues aren't that bad off.

4th in wins the past 10 years, top 10 in goals for, 4th in Goals against (2nd if you don't count VGK or Seattle), 6th in PP%, and 3rd in PK% (2nd if you don't count Seattle). All while having postseason success.

So I don't see what's wrong with St. Louis being St. Louis.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm sorry? Last time I checked the Blues aren't that bad off.

4th in wins the past 10 years, top 10 in goals for, 4th in Goals against (2nd if you don't count VGK or Seattle), 6th in PP%, and 3rd in PK% (2nd if you don't count Seattle). All while having postseason success.

So I don't see what's wrong with St. Louis being St. Louis.

C'mon man, anyone can bring facts to an argument... this is the internet where things just are like make believe because opinions and stuff...

The OP's offer puts the Blues 5.3 million over the Cap so there's that...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
As an outside fan I think the value is there, but don't see St.Louis needing a defenseman like Rielly considering they already have Krug and Falk as offensive D. Even then I'd think Reilly would need an extension for this to work.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This is just flat out brutal for St Louis. I honestly wouldn’t move Tarasenko for Marner alone right now given the cap situation for our team.

Yes I know Marner has as of late been a better player. But the cap hit Marner carries right now is not sustainable for the Blues current cap situation.

Reilly is a good player. But we don’t really have a chance at extending especially if Marner is on the roster.

Kyrou is very unlikely to move given his cap hit and honestly just how explosive of an offensive player he is.

I know I’ll regret saying this eventually though in a month or so. But I would rather have Kyrou than Marner. However, I’m positive that Marner isn’t worth 8m more in cap hit than Kyrou.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Wonder if HFoards will ever stop pretending Leafs players are garbage and then pretending they are amazing the next season when they play elsewhere?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Wonder if HFoards will ever stop pretending Leafs players are garbage and then pretending they are amazing the next season when they play elsewhere?
Or you know, the Blues don't have the cap space for a trade like this, we value Kyrou's production at his current Cap hit more than Marner's at [checks notes] 3 times more than Kyrou, and we don't want another Faulk/Krug-Style defender on our back end.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
This is just flat out brutal for St Louis. I honestly wouldn’t move Tarasenko for Marner alone right now given the cap situation for our team.

Yes I know Marner has as of late been a better player. But the cap hit Marner carries right now is not sustainable for the Blues current cap situation.

Reilly is a good player. But we don’t really have a chance at extending especially if Marner is on the roster.

Kyrou is very unlikely to move given his cap hit and honestly just how explosive of an offensive player he is.

I know I’ll regret saying this eventually though in a month or so. But I would rather have Kyrou than Marner. However, I’m positive that Marner isn’t worth 8m more in cap hit than Kyrou.
Don't forget, we have Perron coming up next season, then ROR, Thomas, and Kyrou the season after that. The cap has to be well navigated over the next two seasons.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Well this is why St. Louis is St. Louis
cut.jpg

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Most regular season wins in the 2010s in the West, recent Cup winners and one of the best teams again this year? I know you can't be a Leafs fan making that comment because if so, dear lord that would be pitiful.
He’s a Dallas fan. Not as bad, but still funny.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Marner has value but he can have value to another team. I don't want him anywhere near St. Louis with the way he plays in the playoffs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He’s a Dallas fan. Not as bad, but still funny.
Random fact, Blues and Stars have the most Game 7s decided in sudden death OT of any two franchises in the NHL. They've had 14 series, 5 have gone to Game 7 and 4 of those went to OT (Blues won in 68, 72, 19; Stars won in 84).

Vancouver and Calgary have played 3 Game 7s and all went to OT and the most after that is a handful with 2 series.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Maybe TOR can retain a bit of Riellys caphit
Marner and Rielly are the two best players in the deal as of right now.
Tank has some work to do to be worth his caphit again.

Why some get so upset over a fantasy trade proposal on the internet is bizarre.

Here is the issue. It’s easily conceivable that Tarasenko given how he’s looked right now is worth every bit of 7.5/yr for this year and next.

Can you say Marner is worth his cap hit?

The simple issue of this whole proposal as I see it right now is. The Blues are unable to add the cap hit, nor should they. Marner is an upgrade, but the question is how much of an upgrade is he over Kyrou? Reilly isn’t what the Blues need, if they needed a puck mover they would assuredly try and call up Perunovich. Losing Bortuzzo actually really hurts given our non existent RD pool in the system. Adding the extra cap would assure we lose core pieces next season, if not this season alone just to make something work in the first place.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Here's the issue with the players

Marner: Massive cap hit, other teams simply can't take that on. It really doesn't matter how good he is, Toronto is simply tied to him. If he was closer to 9, it might be plausible.

Rielly: Assuming we'd extend him because that would be the only reason going for him, our future left side would be Rielly, Krug, and Perunovich, so while Rielly would fit well with Parayko, that's not a left side that will win a Cup, especially not the way we'd want to play. On top of that, I doubt Rielly would accept a deal in the price range that we'd want.

As for the deal, we'd have to give up another player to make the cap work, and then we'd lose another one because of Rielly's future extension. It's just a really bad idea in general. Toronto might need a shakeup, and maybe Tarasenko is an option if they move out one of their forwards, but we sure as shit aren't going to break the bank for Marner.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express

I wouldn’t trade Kyrou for Marner. Hard Stop.

cap hits matter. I’m wouldn’t pay 11mil for anyone on Toronto’s roster (outside of Matthews). Blues have too many expiring contract in the next 2 years to tie up 1/8th of the cap in a one dimensional player. That’s not how you win in the NHL. The Blues gm has made it clear he would rather have a roster full of 5 to 6.5 mil players than a couple of 11+ plus players and scrubs to fit under the cap. Seeing as how the Blues were the last team to win a normal season Cup, I’ll trust/respect his roster construction. He is also the GM of team Canada, so he’s very well respected amongst “the powers that be”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad