Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure he was adored there but now that he's wearing the blue and white I wonder what sort of reaction he'll get. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him booed.
I would expect that any booing of Leaf Players would be by that 'special group of Leaf fans' that may be in attendance.

I think it's more likely that if they can house a third goalie under the cap tonight they don't want Stolarz to play (worst case if Woll needs a pull or injury) so that he can play tomorrow.

So put Stolarz in the press box to ensure he isn't needed, put Dennis on the bench in case of emergency, and Woll starts.
Valid point but if that was the case why not just bring the player yesterday with the rest of the team?

• Haha
Reactions: bax

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think it's more likely that if they can house a third goalie under the cap tonight they don't want Stolarz to play (worst case if Woll needs a pull or injury) so that he can play tomorrow.

So put Stolarz in the press box to ensure he isn't needed, put Dennis on the bench in case of emergency, and Woll starts.

My first instinct was that they’re just sending Stolarz to NJ early so he’s more rested without the travel.

But…I’m pretty sure they don’t have the cap room without a move? Like they’re literally $1 from the cap as it stands.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'm sure he was adored there but now that he's wearing the blue and white I wonder what sort of reaction he'll get. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him booed.
Probably a non factor, its not like he left the Habs and joined the Leafs. He has played Mtl multiple times since leaving including a play-off series.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I like McMann too, and he will get in there no doubt. But it’s funny to me that people are acting like he’s a seasoned vet, with a long pedigree, that demands a LOCK in the lineup. That bullshit, he had a meh camp and still needs to prove himself, only stars deserve latitude, Bobby ain’t that. Fact is Reaves was more effective in camp, he fought for his start, it’s a good team culture. Berube is making it known that there is internal competition, GOOD.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Why wouldn’t they want Stolarz to play if needed?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I like McMann too, and he will get in there no doubt. But it’s funny to me that people are acting like he’s a seasoned vet, with a long pedigree, that demands a LOCK in the lineup. That bullshit, he had a meh camp and still needs to prove himself, only stars deserve latitude, Bobby ain’t that. Fact is Reaves was more effective in camp, he fought for his start, it’s a good team culture. Berube is making it known that there is internal competition, GOOD.
Oddly enough, had he been healthy, they may have beaten Boston last spring.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Why wouldn’t they want Stolarz to play if needed?
Yeah my thoughts exactly.... they got him to play with Woll and when Woll isn't playing... so why would they not use him, that makes no sense what so ever. Especially when he's looked solid already.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah my thoughts exactly.... they got him to play with Woll and when Woll isn't playing... so why would they not use him, that makes no sense what so ever.
Who would start tomorrow in that case?

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Who would start tomorrow in that case?
If Woll is injured.... Then Stolarz obviously.... Or play Hildeby, it's not that big a deal the regular season is just a waiting period the playoffs is what matters... we know we're making the playoffs.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not a good start for Woll if he’s hurt already. Would it be crazy to start hilddeby today and stolarz tomorrow?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Would be quite interesting if someone was already hurt. Maybe it's the old, we play back to back, Stolarz isn't playing tonight no matter what since he's starting tomorrow and Hildabeast can be the backup tonight.

Woll confirmed or at least said yesterday he was excited to play in MTL for the first time, so I don't think it's him.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Not a good start for Woll if he’s hurt already. Would it be crazy to start hilddeby today and stolarz tomorrow?
I'd say wait and see if Woll/Stolarz are actually injured before we get too concerned. He could just be joining as one of the two are sick.. Also, might just be joining as precautionary and not actually joining the roster at this point.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If Woll is injured.... Then Stolarz obviously.... Or play Hildeby, it's not that big a deal the regular season is just a waiting period the playoffs is what matters... we know we're making the playoffs.
Yes, that's why he was brought. :huh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
yeah, you said we are top 2 PP for years.

Turned out, you meant except the last year when we were 7th? And except in playoffs? And only if you check 19-22 seasons?

Yeah, if we ignore playoffs and ignore the last year and start with 2019, because we are 16th the year before ...

Not to mention all this bizarre gymnastic/aggregating to point out to Mitch as the reason why we have great PP? :D

Matthews is the one making sure we are not 16th each year. And even with that in mind, the last two playoffs and last regular season - meaning the last TWO YEARS OF HOCKEY. We are nowhere near top2 PP.

Simple facts. Cheers
They were top 2, for years. for the years 2019/20 to 2022/23, in combination. Simple facts. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead. I also provided the rest of the regular seasons.

Bottom line, it's been an elite PP group most of the time, and rather consistent, which allows it to be a top 2/3 PP unit, in aggregate over a number of years.

I never suggested Mitch was the reason for the PP, perhaps you have me confused with someone else you would like to argue with. I did suggest that the unit overall has worked well together, so there is no reason to dismantle it. If you really wanted to dive deep, into how and why the PP hasn't worked in the playoffs, you'd probably look at things like shots, where the shots are from, and shooting percentage. If the number of shots are similar/60 in the playoffs, as regular season, you might conclude our shooters aren't delivering, or in the right spots to score from... that's not hard to look up. If we aren't getting shots off, it's probably the guys delivering the passes, like Marner.

Playoffs, they've sucked, in many ways... but IMO, that part is for multiple reasons. Coaching to some degree, and players inability to rise to the occasion of the playoffs. Until the coaches draw up a PP that can deliver at a top 2/3 league wide performance, on a regular basis, including in the playoffs, and until this group of four/five players, who play on PP1 can deliver in the playoffs, both on the PP and 5v5, the Leafs aren't going anywhere. It's up to Berube and his group, to ensure that both happen... as much as they can within their powers.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They were top 2, for years. for the years 2019/20 to 2022/23, in combination. Simple facts. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead. I also provided the rest of the regular seasons.

Bottom line, it's been an elite PP group most of the time, and rather consistent, which allows it to be a top 2/3 PP unit, in aggregate over a number of years.

I never suggested Mitch was the reason for the PP, perhaps you have me confused with someone else you would like to argue with. I did suggest that the unit overall has worked well together, so there is no reason to dismantle it. If you really wanted to dive deep, into how and why the PP hasn't worked in the playoffs, you'd probably look at things like shots, where the shots are from, and shooting percentage. If the number of shots are similar/60 in the playoffs, as regular season, you might conclude our shooters aren't delivering, or in the right spots to score from... that's not hard to look up. If we aren't getting shots off, it's probably the guys delivering the passes, like Marner.

Playoffs, they've sucked, in many ways... but IMO, that part is for multiple reasons. Coaching to some degree, and players inability to rise to the occasion of the playoffs. Until the coaches draw up a PP that can deliver at a top 2/3 league wide performance, on a regular basis, including in the playoffs, and until this group of four/five players, who play on PP1 can deliver in the playoffs, both on the PP and 5v5, the Leafs aren't going anywhere. It's up to Berube and his group, to ensure that both happen... as much as they can within their powers.
It's like some believe he's the only guy on the team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

This post is not grounded in logic, he is not making it known that there is internal competition.

There are other people in the lineup who didn't earn it at camp.

Benoit is the obvious one.

Rifai, Myers, and Timmins all outplayed him, and only one of those players is in game 1.

I also value the season and playoffs over the preseason, maybe you don't, but McMann was clearly more effective last year.

If you want the team culture to be who is more effective at camp, be consistent, and have Rifai in over Benoit, then put Liljegren on waivers.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There are other people in the lineup who didn't earn it at camp, so they aren't consistent.

Rifai, Myers, and Timmins all outplayed him, and only one of those players is in game 1.

McMann was better than Benoit last year as well.

I also value the season and playoffs over the preseason, maybe you don't, but McMann was clearly more effective last year.

If you want the team culture to be who is more effective at camp, be consistent, and have Rifai in over Benoit, then put Liljegren on waivers.
I imagine they are using their criteria for earning it, not yours.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This post is not grounded in logic, he is not making it known that there is internal competition.

There are other people in the lineup who didn't earn it at camp.

How do we know who performed well at camp?

All we know is what happened in some exhibition games. Far more "hockey" was played in training.... so I'd assume that the coaches are working with more information, than we have available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad