Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
fine, but Ullmark was an OK goalie before Montgomery got him a Vezina. Hes gonna fall back to that in Ottawa (as all goalies do), and youll be paying him as a top tier goalie.

At least its only 4 years, but its just weird timing. The Sens have more problem than just goaltending.
Goaltending was the most glaring problem by far. Not even close.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I know this doesn't matter in Ottawa since they never make the playoffs but this makes it harder to trade him to a playoff team if that time comes. Nobody wants to pay $8mil for a goalie who shits the bed in the playoffs at every opportunity.

View attachment 913931

Ullmark cashed in on winning a Vezina as a platoon goalie playing behind the best regular season team of all time. Good for him, terrible for Ottawa.
tbf these were against the panthers who went to the cup final each time and made a lot of good goalies look terrible

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Goaltending was the most glaring problem by far. Not even close.
you say goaltending, I say defence and coaching.

Cam Talbot.... horrible in Ottawa 22-23, great in LA 23-24. Why do you think that is?

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 in MIN

Korpisalo had a 911 SV% in CLB, then 921 in LA (11GP).... and then 890 in Ottawa last season.

See the trend?

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I love how the same people who were saying that Korpisalo would all of a sudden look good in "Boston's system" will say this is a bad deal.

Ullmark will continue to be a .910+ SV% guy in Ottawa.
Korpisalo will continue to be a sieve in Boston, as we saw last night.

Also a perfect length. Would you prefer it to be $7.5M? Yes, but it's Ottawa. It costs more to get guys signed here.

How did Korpisalo look in that system last night?
I mean I somewhat agree with your overall take because Ullmark is pretty good and Korpi sucks but maybe not great to judge him after one game against the defending champs in Florida. He settled down after the 1st period and played pretty well.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Disagree.... Cups were won with Darcy Kuemper and Adin Hill based on a great defence more than acutal goaltending.
The Avs run was full of fans complaining about Kuemper giving up trash goal after trash goal. Avs won the cup in spite of how below average their goaltending was. Which is a testament to their high octane offense and forechecking. That said, you can't always reasonably expect this for every team, especially if you're not built like Avs or Vegas.

Reactions: Voight

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
The only real big issue here is Ullmark's age means he could already have played it's better games, but he looked pretty good during the preseason and he isn't signed 8 years either.

Sens could've done a lot worse. Probably an okay deal in the circumstances.
Unlikely. Goalies' prime is usually well into their 30's. Ullmark is just entering his prime.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Disagree.... Cups were won with Darcy Kuemper and Adin Hill based on a great defence more than acutal goaltending.

Bob went from an overrated and overpaid goalie, to great when FLA implemented a more defensive system (were tied with WPG for GA last season).

Holtby won only when Barry Trotz transformed Washington into a D first system.

More cups are won (or long playoff runs are made) with top goaltenders.

These are the goalie who played in the conference finals over the last 4 seasons:

Bobrovsky (x2), Shesterkin (x2), Vasilevskyi (x2), Oettinger (x2), Price, Sorokin, Hill, Andersen, Smith, Kuemper, Skinner.

Look at those names. Sure, a guy like Hill might go on a run once in a while. But the guys who get there, more often than not, are guys who are top 5 or top 10 goalies in the league.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
You guys and your stat lines. Look up Korpisalo's playoff numbers then come back and tell me which goalie you'd rather have.

Neither. If the alternative to Korpisalo is Ullmark at 8.25 I'd have just kept Forsberg as the starter and throw whatever goalie prospects you guy have or sign someone on the cheap as the backup and see what sticks.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
you say goaltending, I say defence and coaching.

Cam Talbot.... horrible in Ottawa 22-23, great in LA 23-24. Why do you think that is?

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 in MIN
Talbot couldn't stop a beachball here. I think he admitted later he was injured, but he was balls.

Gus was traded before he broke out. Dorion classic. And I think it was for Talbot, which cut deeper.

Plus, we had a lame coach, yes. No question there

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
tbf these were against the panthers who went to the cup final each time and made a lot of good goalies look terrible
That was a pretty normal game for him last year against any team.
I mean I somewhat agree with your overall take because Ullmark is pretty good and Korpi sucks but maybe not great to judge him after one game against the defending champs in Florida. He settled down after the 1st period and played pretty well.
Again, a very common situation last year. Sens would be down a big hole very early in the game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Ullmark is a good maybe great goalie.

But as important is that he's a strong leader and Ottawa needs that bad.

So it's doing two things at once.

Reactions: BTO

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Neither. If the alternative to Korpisalo is Ullmark at 8.25 I'd have just kept Forsberg as the starter and throw whatever goalie prospects you guy have or sign someone on the cheap as the backup and see what sticks.
Forsberg? So you have no interest in a successful season. We've had enough of that...time to try something different.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
More cups are won (or long playoff runs are made) with top goaltenders.

These are the goalie who played in the conference finals over the last 4 seasons:

Bobrovsky (x2), Shesterkin (x2), Vasilevskyi (x2), Oettinger (x2), Price, Sorokin, Hill, Smith, Kuemper, Skinner.

Look at those names. Sure, a guy like Hill might go on a run once in a while. But the guys who get there, more often than not, are guys who are top 5 or top 10 goalies in the league.
And those were all on great teams and defences.... even Montreal had a great D system in those playoffs, though yes, Price stole the 1st round vs TOR.

look...

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 SV% in MIN

Korpisalo had a 911 SV% in CLB, then 921 SV% in LA (11GP).... and then 890 in Ottawa last season.

theres a trend here.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
How many times has he started 60 games? What about 50? Seems a tall ask for a 31 year old to begin taking on an extra 20 games per season.
Sure, he hasn't done it. At the same time, he's not playing with a Swayman to take half the games away from him. Forsberg or whoever backs up at the time, can play around 25 games.

If Ullmark thinks he can, more power to him. I would have rather seeing it before giving him the extension.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's a lot of cash, for a position where spending does not always translate to success. I think if I were a Senators fan, I'd have wanted to see him for a bit of an extended look before shelling out that kind of cap. But on the other hand, they were in desperate need for an upgrade in net, and they unquestionably got one in Linus Ullmark.

An interesting team to watch this year, just like last year. I liked their off-season for the most part.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
So you wanna do the Leafs strategy with goaltending? Rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad