Proposal: Toronto - Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Toronto is contending and want to go all the way. They are up against the cap and have loads of cash invested in a few players. They could also need some grit for playoffs. Columbus need playmakers. They have tried to get a C for years and it isnt any closer. Marner is a great playmaker but he is overpaid by 2M. Would this make sense:

Toronto get:

Patrick Laine 7,5M RFA 2022
Max Domi 5,3M UFA 2022

Columbus get:

Mitchell Marner 10,9M UFA 2025
David Kampf 1.5M UFA 2023

Toronto would look tougher for playoffs:

Bunting - Matthews - Kerfoot
Laine - Tavares - Nylander
Kase - Domi - Mikheyev
Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No thank you, I don't really have any interest in Laine
plus I am fine keeping Marner

Dont underestimate Domi for playoffs. He would look good with Mikheyev and kase and brings grit thats needed for a run. Laine + 3,5M for Marner could be a good trade also. He hasnt played with a 1/2C in Columbus - Roslovic and Jenner are hardly that. I`d bet his numbers would be pretty good with Tavares.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
From my Jackets fan perspective - Marner isn't worth his cap hit. But I'm curious if Jackets FO and ownership want to take the next couple years to save some $$ and not spend to the cap, in which case Marner's $8m salary comes into play. He's not an $11m player but $8m is a good deal for him. And there's plenty of internal cap teams that he could be moved to later on if need be.

If ownership wants to be at the cap though (and they usually do) then forget it, stick with players that are actually worth the price tag.

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not a chance, Marner is the best player in the deal, that alone kills it.

Then you want David Kampf?

David Kampf has been way better offensively then expected but also been fantastic defensively and he's the main reason the Leafs PK is top 5.

No chance.

I would be in on Domi though

Reactions: teddygmr

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not a chance, Marner is the best player in the deal, that alone kills it.

Then you want David Kampf?

David Kampf has been way better offensively then expected but also been fantastic defensively and he's the main reason the Leafs PK is top 5.

No chance.

I would be in on Domi though

Well, the thought of the trade is to make Toronto better for the playoffs and have 2-scorers on the team instead of one. Domi adds grit, what the Leafs have been lacking. Matthews on PP1 and Laine on PP2. It also helps to have the scoring spread to 2-lines when 5vs5. It doesnt matter who the best player in a deal is, if he is severely overpaid. I think this deal would make sense for both teams, as Jackets desperetly need a playmaker. They have scorers. Laine is still an RFA, so he can be extended if it works out.
Kampf can be switched for another player at same caphit. Didnt actually know he was a big part of your PK.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, the thought of the trade is to make Toronto better for the playoffs and have 2-scorers on the team instead of one. Domi adds grit, what the Leafs have been lacking. Matthews on PP1 and Laine on PP2. It also helps to have the scoring spread to 2-lines when 5vs5. It doesnt matter who the best player in a deal is, if he is severely overpaid. I think this deal would make sense for both teams, as Jackets desperetly need a playmaker. They have scorers. Laine is still an RFA, so he can be extended if it works out.
Kampf can be switched for another player at same caphit. Didnt actually know he was a big part of your PK.

He's the guy on the PK

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Toronto is contending and want to go all the way. They are up against the cap and have loads of cash invested in a few players. They could also need some grit for playoffs. Columbus need playmakers. They have tried to get a C for years and it isnt any closer. Marner is a great playmaker but he is overpaid by 2M. Would this make sense:

Toronto get:

Max Domi 5,3M UFA 2022

Columbus get:

Bunting - Matthews - Kerfoot
Kase - Domi - Mikheyev
Yuck. No thanks.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
this might be a dumb take but the main reason I don’t want to do is is losing Kampf.

he is very quickly becoming my favourite new leaf. If only his last name wasn’t Kampf I would be getting his name on a jersey lol

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The purpose of the rebuild in Columbus is to build a team that can eventually win playoff games and challenge for a Cup. Adding Marner really doesn’t seem like a step in that direction.

But getting rid of Jones and acquiring Laine was a step in that direction ? lol CBJ takes this deal and runs. Laine is going to demand an over-payment and Domi walks for free, horrible value for Toronto.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Toronto get:

Max Domi 5,3M UFA 2022

Columbus get:

Bunting - Matthews - Kerfootj
Kase - Domi - Mikheyev
Just stop with the marner proposals....

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
But getting rid of Jones and acquiring Laine was a step in that direction ? lol CBJ takes this deal and runs. Laine is going to demand an over-payment and Domi walks for free, horrible value for Toronto.

Columbus has seen playoff Marner up close. He is not worth his paycheck.

The Jones trade brought back Sillinger, Boqvist, Bean (traded the 2nd for him), and a 2022 1st. That is how you build a contender.

We’ll see which team looks better in a few years.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Horrible value? Domi is in the proposal for the playoffs. Toronto is soft as coconut-milk as is. He brings some grit. Marner is overpaid for 2M+ and Domi is the throw-in with Laine as the centerpiece. I`ts getting frustrating how in any trade-proposal every team overvalue their overpaid players. We should actually get rid of the whole proposals from this forum. If you dont see how laine could be of value as the 2nd sniper on the 2nd line and Domi to give some grit/toughness to the team, you are blind.
It`s not like Marner has been some super-human in the playoffs. If you like to have soft, small overpaid wingers - Marners your man. He even produces points in the regular season with matthews, so you can pump his tires.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Horrible value? Domi is in the proposal for the playoffs. Toronto is soft as coconut-milk as is. He brings some grit. Marner is overpaid for 2M+ and Domi is the throw-in with Laine as the centerpiece. I`ts getting frustrating how in any trade-proposal every team overvalue their overpaid players. We should actually get rid of the whole proposals from this forum. If you dont see how laine could be of value as the 2nd sniper on the 2nd line and Domi to give some grit/toughness to the team, you are blind.
It`s not like Marner has been some super-human in the playoffs. If you like to have soft, small overpaid wingers - Marners your man. He even produces points in the regular season with matthews, so you can pump his tires.

Perhaps it's the shitty proposals that make no sense that's the problem?

Reactions: Tarmore

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Yes horrible value. Laine's work ethic is still in question, despite being productive in a small sample size this season. His defensive game is still pretty non-existent. He's an RFA and will demand a stupid raise. Domi is also a pending UFA, yeah he's gritty, but he's small and is 100% going to walk as a FA given our cap situation. We also take on more salary this year with the proposed offer. Marner is a top line winger that plays the PP and PK and is better than both CBJ players and signed for a few more years. Despite being 1-2M overpaid (He's not 2m+ overpaid, he's a legit 90 point winger) he still provides more value than either of those 2 guys. You don't trade 4 years of Marner for 1 year of Domi and RFA Laine. I think you're over valuing Laine here. Some other teams fans may want him, but I have zero interest.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad