Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Which we now have 3 of, plus another D man who isn't great offensively but needs to be sheltered because he isn't great defensively either.

So to answer the question you ignored, who are we playing when we are trying to protect a lead? Krug has never demonstrated an ability to play adequate defense against top 6 players. Neither has Faulk. Neither has Dunn. Neither has Bortz. Dunn and Krug can't kill penalties at an NHL level. Who kills penalties when any of Parayko, Scandella, Faulk or Bortuzzo gets hurt or takes a penalty?
First time I agree with you 100%

Dunn must be out. Mikkola can eat PK. He has done it finnish league and AHL.

I still View Mikkola is the predict fit with Parayko for d-pair.
Im not sure can Mikkola take needed stop, but if he does we've in out hands Jbo replacement who will play also physical way.

Mikkola just needs his opportunity.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Which we now have 3 of, plus another D man who isn't great offensively but needs to be sheltered because he isn't great defensively either.

So to answer the question you ignored, who are we playing when we are trying to protect a lead? Krug has never demonstrated an ability to play adequate defense against top 6 players. Neither has Faulk. Neither has Dunn. Neither has Bortz. Dunn and Krug can't kill penalties at an NHL level. Who kills penalties when any of Parayko, Scandella, Faulk or Bortuzzo gets hurt or takes a penalty?
Over the past two seasons (404 min) with Vince Dunn on the ice protecting a 1 goal lead the Blues have given up just just 1.88 xGA/60. The lowest rate on the team of anyone who has played over 200 minutes in that situation. Also see no reason why he couldn't kill penalties.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I already answered this. Keeping Pietrangelo makes us a contender for roughly two years and then puts us in a much worse position. Keep in mind, that's the same contendor team that got bounced in the first round by Vancouver.
Here's a counter thought: Are years 3 and after more competitive with Pietrangelo at ages 33-38 or more competitive with Krug ages 32-36?

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Here's a counter thought: Are years 3 and after more competitive with Pietrangelo at ages 33-38 or more competitive with Krug ages 32-36?
I believe so because Krug doesn't have a full Nmc and Pietrangelo required one. I also think the money saved signing Krug instead of Pietrangelo allows us to keep the roster more competitive while the cap remains flat. Could be wrong but that's my opinion.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I believe so because Krug doesn't have a full Nmc and Pietrangelo required one. I also think the money saved signing Krug instead of Pietrangelo allows us to keep the roster more competitive while the cap remains flat. Could be wrong but that's my opinion.
OK that's fine then. I just think we fundamentally view defenseman differently which is ok.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

What do you think the difference in money is going to be?

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
What do you think the difference in money is going to be?

64m vs 45m. 8 for 8(what we were rumored to have offered Pie) vs what Krug is signed for. Look I'm done going around in circles with you. I know Pietrangelo is better but overpaying him would have been a mistake imo. We should all hold our judgments on Krug until he actually plays for the Blues. I do like Falco though so that's neat.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Faulk paired with Petro was a big mistake. That didn't get Justin off on the right foot. I would love to see Krug and Faulk paired. I know,,,

Krug is a forchecker's nightmare and he brings a much stronger PP record then Petro. Both have great puck movement out of our zone. I'd make them our #1 PP D pairing. PUCKS TO THE NET!!!

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Sorry, Vektor, I’m gonna have to go with @ezcreepin on this one.

Krug relies on skating ability and stops and starts, which is, usually, the first thing to go on a defenseman.

A bad knee injury would have a greater impact on Krug’s game than it would on Pietrangelo’s.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Crazy thought. The market sucks right now and AP has found that out. AP signs a friendly 1 year deal with the Blues based on available cap with LTIR on Steen and Tank, and maybe a selloff of a Bozak + Dunn if needed. Then once the Blues can extend him in this wacky year (don't know what the rule for extension is this year), he gets the term and a salary he wanted when Bozak and Steen fall off. That also makes Parayko someone expendable going forward.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

bring on the tampering draft picks and i am gonna smile for years

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
To everyone complaining about Krug and Dunn having high % of offensive zone starts consider this, Why would you start anyone but Parayko in the Dzone when you have a choice?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
To everyone complaining about Krug and Dunn having high % of offensive zone starts consider this, Why would you start anyone but Parayko in the Dzone when you have a choice?
I am imagining, with Dunn gone, a Gunny/Mikkola/Bortz/whoever third pairing gets some d-zone starts too-but yeah, Scandella/Parayko is a solid shutdown.

With the hodgepodge d-corps we have right now, I bet we're going to see lots of variable pairings and matchups.

Reactions: mike1320

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
The problem isn’t starting Parayko in the D-zone; it’s who you start him with.

Scandella? Sure, but then you don’t have anyone reliable enough to cover up for the natural miscues Faulk and Krug will inevitably have.

Dunn? Would be the most logical choice but it seems like they wanna get rid of him for whatever reason.

Krug? Would be a horrible use of him. He’s not a competent defender.

Faulk? Just don’t put him on the ice unless absolutely necessary.

Bortuzzo? I mean I guess, but again, he’d be a better fit with Dunn. Then your asking him to play as LD, which the Blues don’t seem to like mixing the handedness (even though statistically it shows there’s hardly any difference).

Gunnarsson? He’s just not a great player at this point and when he’s inevitably injured then what?

Mikkola? Would be intriguing, but he’s too low on the depth chart at this point barring a trade.

The entire Krug acquisition seems like a move that was rushed, out of panic, and strategically illogical.

Devon Toews just got traded for a severely underwhelming return. That would’ve been a great add, over Krug.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The problem isn’t starting Parayko in the D-zone; it’s who you start him with.

Scandella? Sure, but then you don’t have anyone reliable enough to cover up for the natural miscues Faulk and Krug will inevitably have.

Dunn? Would be the most logical choice but it seems like they wanna get rid of him for whatever reason.

Krug? Would be a horrible use of him. He’s not a competent defender.

Faulk? Just don’t put him on the ice unless absolutely necessary.

Bortuzzo? I mean I guess, but again, he’d be a better fit with Dunn. Then your asking him to play as LD, which the Blues don’t seem to like mixing the handedness (even though statistically it shows there’s hardly any difference).

Gunnarsson? He’s just not a great player at this point and when he’s inevitably injured then what?

Mikkola? Would be intriguing, but he’s too low on the depth chart at this point barring a trade.

Mikkola is on a one way contract and is exactly the type of player you put out to defend a lead and is the answer to the question posed. Dunn will be gone in a trade before the season starts.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’ve gotten into it with several of you over the past few days and it’s honestly sucked. I hate being negative on the Blues because it’s a huge part of my life.

So here’s hoping Torey Krug proves me completely wrong. He’s just not my style of player. I personally would never pay an offensive defenseman this sort of money but it’s what we’re stuck with now. I hope Armstrong’s gamble pays off because we’re totally screwed otherwise.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It absolutely sucks they Pietro is gone. But, I do believe we should separate The Krug Deal from Pietro leaving. I think we should full-heartedly blame Faulk. I think Krug would have been on our radar no matter what being of the abysmal black hole we have on the left side. And I also think Faulk was a back-up to the back up. I think the Backup place was Dougie Hamilton, and when that didn't go we got Faulk.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I’ve gotten into it with several of you over the past few days and it’s honestly sucked. I hate being negative on the Blues because it’s a huge part of my life.

So here’s hoping Torey Krug proves me completely wrong. I personally would never pay an offensive defenseman this sort of money but it’s what we’re stuck with now. I hope Armstrong’s gamble pays off because we’re totally screwed otherwise.

I agree.

mike1320

It absolutely sucks they Pietro is gone. But, I do believe we should separate The Krug Deal from Pietro leaving. I think we should full-heartedly blame Faulk. I think Krug would have been on our radar no matter what being of the abysmal black hole we have on the left side. And I also think Faulk was a back-up to the back up. I think the Backup place was Dougie Hamilton, and when that didn't go we got Faulk.
I still think that things went sour between the Blues and Petro last year BEFORE Army signed Faulk. My hunch says that it was his agent f***ing things up from the get go. We'll probably never get the entire story from either side.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

What does the NMC have to do with competitiveness? Armstrong gave F&K no movement clauses the second they inked those deals...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad