Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I do not like this deal at all boys and girls.

Way too much per year and the term isn't long enough.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
I dont like the deal, but realistically what are the other options?

Trade him? People will flip
Let him hold out? People will flip

Like it or not, the player has all the power in these negotiations.

Exactly, people here have no sense. The grapevine exists, word is out. If AM is available on July 1, the price would be higher on a 5 year deal, because people would pay the compensation for this player.

By having the high talent players Toronto has in numbers, they literally put themselves in harder negotiation positions with each of them, because they all know they're worth more to the club than the RFA compensation.

Said it before, trade one of Marner/Matthews and your position with everyone else becomes easier. Or, they should have just not signed JT.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's funny to see how people's minds work.

If Matthews signed for 9 mill everyone would need to change their pants, but 11.65 is just TOO much. That's legit a Connor Brown difference.

Paying your good players isn't what kills your teams, it's paying your bad players too much.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Breakdown:

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Terrible contract? For a guy who scored 40 in his rookie season, and has 46 points in 38 games, and is going to be a top 5 player in the league someday? Maybe you should find a new team to cheer for...
Lol, your homerism is blinding you, the guy never scored more than 69 points, he’s missing games almost every season, doesn’t show up when it matters, and is now the 2nd most paid player behind Mcdavid??? Not to mention he’s only locked up for 5 years so he can pull a JT whenever his contracts end. I’m a Leafs fan for life but this contract his atrocious to say the least.

He better step up in big games if he doesn’t want to be bashed by the media night after night.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Welcome to the new NHL.

This will definitely be a controversial signing (I don’t think folks should LOVE it), I just think this is where the league is going in terms of contracts.

Agents know star RFAs are a golden goose and are going to seek to exploit that to their fullest advantage. People I think are kidding themselves if they think anybody else would have gotten a considerably better/differently structured deal
This is why I am predicting a lockout if this nonsense with RFAs continues. What is even the point of having an RFA classification if the contract values are equal to what a UFA would get?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's overpayment. Quite significant actually. All things considered, this should have been a 10 mill deal, or for 7 years.

How does Pridham figure this deal makes any sense given the comparables?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
11.63 is a steal. Thankfully the HF community dont like it which means it will be perfect

In what world is this contract a steal? He’s the second highest paid player in the league, making less than a million less than McDavis and signed 3 years less than him. I haven’t looked up the numbers but I’m pretty sure McDavid has put up way more

Reactions: PromisedLand

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Come on, any fair minded person can't like this term for that money, considering it's all signing bonuses. So Willie and Auston become free agents together. Can't wait for Marner's five year 10 mil deal.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I can't believe some people are just sheepishly accepting this garbage.
So are you gonna stop watching the team? Gonna protest in front of the SBA? If I gave you a pair of tickets to a game would you refuse in protest?

Everyone was projecting Matthews at 12 and it’s a bit less than that. Yeah we only get him for 5 right now but just as he gets to evaluate the team for 5 more years, we get to evaluate him for 5 more. This is a decent deal, and our window is wide open now. Let’s get a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad