Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hopefully Dubas knows something we don't because this is an awful deal as of today. Too short for the money.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Little more than I was hoping but not terrible - will be better in a few years and now we don't lose our 2 1C at the same time

Reactions: Loosie

Rainney

Jan 17, 2012
yikes that's not great, especially the part where he couldn't even make it 6 years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I dont like the deal, but realistically what are the other options?

Trade him? People will flip
Let him hold out? People will flip

Like it or not, the player has all the power in these negotiations.
What I want IS FOR THE LEAFS TO BE UNDER THE SAME RULES AS THE REST OF THE LEAGUE.

We outdid the Nylander comparables and now we've outdone the Matthews comparables. It's such trash.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Say what you want about the way Lou handled things in Toronto... he got f***ing great deals for Rielly and Kadri. He's the reason why we can overpay a bit for Matthews and Marner.

You know why this deal sucks though?

Our biggest competitor for the Cup routinely signs players for discounts. Stamkos, Kucherov, McDonagh, Hedman etc. If Point signs a deal under 10M while Marner and Matthews both get above 10M, we cannot compete with them. We just have to hope we get lucky to get past them because the Leafs will not be nearly as talented as they are this year a couple years down the road.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yep. Nylander came in where expected. I had no problem with the number.....

On first pass this is bad. Like you couldn’t even get 11.34????????

I will have to look at comparables. But that’s not what I had in mind when he said “we have to keep the core together”.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Even if you like this deal, you can't call it a "steal." MacKinnon at 6.3 is a streak. This is either too high or within your preferred range depending on who you are as a fan, it's definitely not a steal.

up until 2 yrs ago Nate Mac was a bust. Lets simmer on steals when that contract looked to be ass.

Matthews making 11.63 will be nothing when you see the prices UFAs get when the cap is 100+ mil in 2 yrs.

but you guys as a community know more than Dubas. L O L

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Thread title in 5 years:

ARZ signs Matthews for 8 years 19.634 AAV

Lol. ARZ can only offer 7 years per CBA.

Leafs have the advantage on term as the retaining team. And Matthews at 26 will not be someone you shy away from signing to 8 years.

We just lured the first major UFA not to resign with his current team, after striking out multiple times. Odds still heavily in Leafs favor to retain.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The leafs head next to zero leverage here, you’re not going to nickel and dime a guy like Matthew’s who could just hold out for a offer sheet, or publicly demand a trade which would be a PR disaster for the GM.

This deal ultimately gets him signed throughout the bulk of his prime, it allows the leafs the opportunity to re-sign him for his third deal while he still in his 20s rather than close to 30.

The pressure is now on management to make sure to have a competitive roster with these large contracts on the books.

It’s not a “good” deal but is better than the alternative options.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hate that the Leafs are always just a step behind when it comes to trends in this league. When we hired Babs and Lou we had to give up compensation picks. Literally the next year the league removed that rule, but guess who still had to give up picks?

McDavid and Eichel sign their eight year extensions. But Matthews? Nah, the “trend” now is that RFAs apparently have so much power that they’ve got their teams bent over a barrel apparently.

Our boys are giving us no help whatsoever either. This term sucks. We better do a lot of winning over the next half a decade, that’s all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad