Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He will have to move to the wing if we are attempting it. Perry and Maroon are super fast either. They all need to get stronger on the wall as well.
Well I hope Tavares isn't in the plans, but if he is it better be a Spezza deal. Tavares needs to play in a trap system, not a fast dump and chase system. The only thing worse would be a run and gun system for him, which people think the Leafs play, but they really don't. Colorado is run and gun.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Just f***ing trade him already.

What's taking so long. Do they really think the Oilers or Panthers are gonna take him. The Oilers already have RNH.

RNH and Marner look so similar they could be dopplegangers.

They aren't gonna want another face like that. And they aren't gonna want Marner's holier-than-though attitude either. I could only imagine the reaction in Edmonton the first time Marner says it's the rest of the teams fault they lost and he wasn't gonna change anything about the way he plays.

Then tells everyone he doesn't care what any of them think.

He's Mitch "hockey god" Marner. The opinions of the unwashed heathen who worship him don't matter. Marner's above reproach because in his mind it's everyone else's fault but his.

Trading Marner and his "I'M better than YOU" attitude is the necessary first step in changing the culture of this team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wow, do I love that quote. That's exactly what I want. Goodbye Marner and Tavares.

It is what the vast majority of what Toronto fans have always said and MLSE has been too stupid to deliver. The minority are the loud and proud Dubas and Marner people. Think about this...

Ron Wilson run and gun coach
Burke truculence, grinder team guy.
Refuses to fire friend.

Nonis GM equivalent to a Potato.

Shanny Lou and Hunter. Start to build a grinder team and hire Babcock.
Hunter falls in love with his pet Knight in Marner 150lbs soaking wet. Bad choice and Babcock did not want him. He was right.

*Selections Nylander and Matthews were no brainers.

Wimpy NuHockey GM hired.

Marner gets grinder coach fired.

Wimpy Keefe hired.

They hold on to a dying dream to long.

NOW WE ARE HERE.

MLSE repeating itself but maaaaybe learn you need a consistent platform to run on. You cant be half wimp and half lion.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I want to see if Berube can pull it off. Top line of Bertuzzi/Matthews/Domi is perfect for dump and chase hockey. On line 2, Willy is good at zone entries, so he will almost definitely have to be the dump guy on the line while the others chase as he hates being the first guy in on a board battle. Have to see if Berube is good with that, but I could see it working if Nylander is good at the dump and at least works the cycle with his teammates. He has the size and strength, just needs the will. It's kind of a square peg in a round hole trying to make this team play this style, but it has to be done.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It is what the vast majority of what Toronto fans have always said and MLSE has been too stupid to deliver. The minority are the loud and proud Dubas and Marner people. Think about this...

Refuses to fire friend.

Hunter falls in love with his pet Knight in Marner 150lbs soaking wet. Bad choice and Babcock did not want him. He was right.

Wimpy NuHockey GM hired.

Wimpy Keefe hired.

NOW WE ARE HERE.

MLSE repeating itself but maaaaybe learn you need a consistent platform to run on. You cant be half wimp and half lion.
Of the bunch of them, I think Nonis may have done his job the best. His job was to totally tank the team, without it being too obvious, and at that he succeeded quite well.

Other than that, I agree.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I want to see if Berube can pull it off. Top line of Bertuzzi/Matthews/Domi is perfect for dump and chase hockey. On line 2, Willy is good at zone entries, so he will almost definitely have to be the dump guy on the line while the others chase as he hates being the first guy in on a board battle. Have to see if Berube is good with that, but I could see it working if Nylander is good at the dump and at least works the cycle with his teammates. He has the size and strength, just needs the will. It's kind of a square peg in a round hole trying to make this team play this style, but it has to be done.
I would assume that dumping it in isn't something that has to be done 100% of the time. I mean if Nylander has the puck and can carry it in himself, seems ridiculous to not maintain possession and dump it in instead.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wow, do I love that quote. That's exactly what I want. Goodbye Marner and Tavares.
1718550974300.jpeg

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Berube and Trelivling are actually serious about accountbility, they'll have everyone play the same way and punish anyone who doesn't stick to the system, even Marner and Nylander who very clearly aren't dump and chase players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would assume that dumping it in isn't something that has to be done 100% of the time. I mean if Nylander has the puck and can carry it in himself, seems ridiculous to not maintain possession and dump it in instead.

No.

Nylander is going to beat the forwards and defense over the blueline then throw the puck into the corner. :scared:

That will confuse the goaltender, who was expecting someone on a breakaway to shoot.

:wave:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Refuses to fire friend.

Wimpy NuHockey GM hired.

Wimpy Keefe hired.

NOW WE ARE HERE.

of course you can

1718553906171.png

• Haha
Reactions: socko and thewave

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As expected Darren Dredger was on Overddrive advocating for Mitch to get a "monster contract". Guy is such a shill, as a leaf fan, why would you want that after a near decade of futility? Seriously

O'dog was having none of it

I want Treliving to hang this board to Marner and his agent as far as Marner's future as a Leaf is concerned

sorry-were-closed-sign-in-shop-door-window-S1ED0G.jpg

Reactions: saffronleaf

myleafs

May 25, 2021
As expected Darren Dredger was on Overddrive advocating for Mitch to get a "monster contract". Guy is such a shill, as a leaf fan, why would you want that after a near decade of futility? Seriously

O'dog was having none of it
The part where Dredger says to odog ...so would you be okay with Marner just walking for nothing and without hesitation odog say yes....lol Dredger had no response to that..lol

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Refuses to fire friend.

Wimpy NuHockey GM hired.

Wimpy Keefe hired.

NOW WE ARE HERE.

Bolded is spot on lmao

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Treliving probably knows what every GM wants for every player in the league.

Apparently he harasses them all day long. With his stupid fantasy trade proposals. He wants to be in on all the action.

He's a real wheeler dealer that way.

So trading Marner in a short period of time shouldn't have been a problem. It's a simple matter of calling 32 GM's and asking if they're interested. Start with the ones you know would be in on him and go from there.

Once you got your short list of offers you call them back and squeeze them for more.

We're talking about a 100 point winger who can play in all situations. If you can't trade a guy like that in a matter of days then you're incompetent at the job. It might surprise some Leafs fans to learn this but, like Dubas, Marner is a hot commodity in the hockey world outside Toronto.

Someone will pay the price in a heartbeat.
They likely won’t complete a trade for him until his $7M bonus is paid on July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad