Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
5-IKNg.gif

Reactions: DarkKnight

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Its like a PGT after a Leafs loss in here LOL cmon now its not that bad of a deal guys.
You guys love to pretend that Leaf fans are the only ones who overreact.

Go to the main boards, go to the sports news websites, listen to the radio, they're all saying the exact same thing. For that money, the term isn't good enough. It's a bad contract.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not a good deal at all but maybe that’s the market. I mean if Laine signs for 11mil for 5 yrs, then this is not too bad.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
lou did not. He paid them what they were worth. Rose tinted glasses on here. Rielly was not this good when he signed it and I don't think kadri had even a 30 goal season yet and hit 50 points once. ****ing great deals what a joke

Yep. Neither he nor Kadri were in the position that matthews is today.

I’ll give him credit for signing them to to those deals, but the Leafs has a lot more leverage over them than what they have with Matthews right now (next to none in practical terms).

Reactions: stickty111

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Enjoy the next 5 seasons leaf fans you have a hell of a roster when marner gets locked up enjoy the ride

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Would have hoped for at least 6 years at that money... ouch. But on the bright side, Matthews is a Leafs for the next 5 years!

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
It's expected... Hopefully he has a grand 5 year long farewell tour.

I ain't mad, just disappointed. Just hope we make the most of that time... That's all we can hope for.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Lol, your homerism is blinding you, the guy never scored more than 69 points, he’s missing games almost every season, doesn’t show up when it matters, and is now the 2nd most paid player behind Mcdavid??? Not to mention he’s only locked up for 5 years so he can pull a JT whenever his contracts end. I’m a Leafs fan for life but this contract his atrocious to say the least.

He better step up in big games if he doesn’t want to be bashed by the media night after night.
You seem like one of those leaf fans who is never happy with anything. He's making 1.6 million more than Eichel, do you really think that is going to break the bank? You're probably one of those fans who believes Marner will sign an offer sheet in the summer lol.

It was clear halfway through this season that this was going to be the final year of Gardiner's, Brown's, and Zaitsev's tenures as leafs. After trading Brown and Zaitsev, the leafs will be fine cap wise in the future.

Reactions: stickty111

goleafsgo88

Oct 6, 2010
The Leafs have built a great team now and going forward, but these RFA deals may come back to haunt them. I suppose Pridham and Dubas are aware of these issues, but in a cap world our contracts have less value/$ than our other conpetitors and that will have downstream impact on our ability to compete relatively to other teams

Reactions: Hotel Mario

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
**** man i love matthews and our guys but we really are losing all of these contracts badly.

This team is going to be really thin in about 3 years.

We have to hope that Matthews plays to an MVP level when we lose depth because of this contract.

I am glad we got him signed but we absolutely need to find a way to get rid of Zaitsev soon. He has to go.

Marner likely gets above 10M now and likely for 5 years lol.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

My father just said "MARK MY WORDS SON, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE STEAL FOR THE LEAFS!!!!!! AUSTON WILL RE-UP AFTER 5 YEARS AND A FEW CUPS AND THE MONEY LEFT ON THE TABLE NOW LETS US ADD MORE PIECES!!!!!!!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

What money was left on the table? He sign 900k less than McDavid with 3 less years. Leaving money on the table would of been 10/10.5 for 5 years.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You have to be some kind of knee jerk Kyle fanboy to defend this ****.
Even some of the die hard fans who defend EVERYTHING about the leafs aren’t very thrilled about this contract. Remember, the vast majority of leaf fans in the CLARKSON signing thread were pleased with the deal, Moreso than in this thread.

That right there is pretty telling.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep. Neither he nor Kadri were in the position that matthews is today.

I’ll give him credit for signing them to to those deals, but the Leafs has a lot more leverage over them than what they have with Matthews right now (next to none in practical terms).

$4.5M for a player who hit 50 exactly one time and had 1 20 goal season? and this was 2.5 years ago? no lou f***ed that up.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

My father just said "MARK MY WORDS SON, THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE STEAL FOR THE LEAFS!!!!!! AUSTON WILL RE-UP AFTER 5 YEARS AND A FEW CUPS AND THE MONEY LEFT ON THE TABLE NOW LETS US ADD MORE PIECES!!!!!!!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
Another hometown discount--just like Nylander and Zaitsev. Lovers will love, haters will hate. Most fans will just roll their eyes before wondering how it effects their own team's signings.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
How can Dubas negotiate so well against other GMs for trades but player agents get their way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad