Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Roman Polak (1 year, $2.25M)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
To those complaining about this deal, I ask you, what would you have preferred?

It's painfully obvious the Leafs D last year was nowhere near good enough. While yes, it will look similar to what it did last year, with the additions of Connor Carrick & Nikita Zaitsev and subtractions of Dion Phaneuf & Scott Harrington; it's better today with Polak back, as opposed to some rookie taking his place.

In addition to being poor without Polak, this D is also undersized, and lacking of a physical presence. Without Polak, the D had only 2 players over 200 lbs -- Martin Marincin @ 6'4 and 201lbs, and Morgan Rielly at 214lbs.

Is Toronto's D as good as it needs to be with Polak? definitely not, but the reality is, he's not in any way, shape or form, an inhibitor to that, and has absolutely no potential to be given his 1 year deal.

Well said. It's not a great signing but it's certainly not going to hurt.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I think the Reimer deal a week later may have had something to do with that 2nd, 2nd rd pick. It was obviously an overpayment, and the Reimer deal was an under payment. Unofficially the 2 deals were connected IMO. But nevertheless. Polak will be probably good for a 3rd rd pick this year given he was not very good late in the playoffs with SJ.

My point is at most a 2nd and most likely 3rd rd pick this year is worth passing up on for developing a young D man in the NHL. Gardiner is not young anymore at 26, and Rielly is entering his 4th full NHL season with 236 NHL games under his belt. The veteran presence of Dion Phaneuf did not help these 2 IMO. So it is overrated. Infact I thought both were better without Dion. I don't see the value in this move. We will disagree. I think seeing what a Percy could do or Valiev is the more prudent move in a player's development. Young players like this, are more likely going to be a part of the Leafs future than a Polak is for 60 or so games.

Thats your opinion. In fact most of this is your opinion, no way of knowing. Just like it is the Leafs FO's opinion to let Percy go for nothing and re-sign Polak. No right or wrong move that can be known now but i think most people can see the value in what they did vs what you would like to see. Percy is nothing more than a 7th defensemen to me and even after all these trades at the deadline i think it is clear to see management did not think he was good enough to crack the lineup which is very telling.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Well said. It's not a great signing but it's certainly not going to hurt.

Yeah -- really the only argument is that the Leafs needed a bigger fish (personally that's what I think), but it's not like having Polak on a 1 year deal at $2.5m is going to affect how you pursue the big fish.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thats your opinion. In fact most of this is your opinion, no way of knowing. Just like it is the Leafs FO's opinion to let Percy go for nothing and re-sign Polak. No right or wrong move that can be known now but i think most people can see the value in what they did vs what you would like to see. Percy is nothing more than a 7th defensemen to me and even after all these trades at the deadline i think it is clear to see management did not think he was good enough to crack the lineup which is very telling.

The main point that you may have miseed, was my point was Gardiner is already 26, and Rielly 22 already has 236 NHL games under his belt going into his 4th Pro season. You said the Leafs have an inexperienced D. I do not. Hunwick is still on the roster. Your point for advocating for Polak is for experience. I really don't think it matters. Rielly and Gardiner were fine after Dion and Polak were dealt. I feel it is more prudent to have the spot filled by AHL developed talent for this organization at this time. Draft/Develop/Promote is the proper way to build a team. So again, we disagree. Your position, while I hear you of A possible 3rd rd pick for Polak is not a great selling point to me.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Great signing for Leafs, dependable RD at 1 yr/2.25 mil? Haven't watched him as much as you guys but seems to show up every night and can probably play 2nd pairing if needed. Plus if things don't work out, flip him at deadline. I thought he would getting a 4yr/3.5 mil type of contract.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yeah -- really the only argument is that the Leafs needed a bigger fish (personally that's what I think), but it's not like having Polak on a 1 year deal at $2.5m is going to affect how you pursue the big fish.

Although I think the Leafs need a big time Dman - I also think we need to understand that insulating our youth, could yield the same type of Dmen that top teams grow on their own. I realize you aren't the one saying it, and quoting you isn't to call you out directly - but we need to develop our own, rather than overpaying for players that teams are letting go.

Having calming guys like Laich/Bozak (on the front end, will allow easier transition of the youth) hoping for the same with Polak/Hunwick/ etc. Rielly and Gardiner can even take a more leader role on the backend. We have talent back there - here is hoping guys continue to develop.

Martin and Polak signings are a way of allowing the youth to grow; had we signed the top Dman, top forward - a lot of people would be screaming about how players are getting pushed down the charts (when we aren't a luxury item, top player away from competing, just yet)

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
The main point that you may have miseed, was my point was Gardiner is already 26, and Rielly 22 already has 236 NHL games under his belt going into his 4th Pro season. You said the Leafs have an inexperienced D. I do not. Hunwick is still on the roster. Your point for advocating for Polak is for experience. I really don't think it matters. Rielly and Gardiner were fine after Dion and Polak were dealt. I feel it is more prudent to have the spot filled by AHL developed talent for this organization at this time. Draft/Develop/Promote is the proper way to build a team. So again, we disagree. Your position, while I hear you of A possible 3rd rd pick for Polak is not a great selling point to me.

It's a 1 YEAR DEAL!....

Are they competing for a playoff spot next season?... NO

Is there any long-term cap consequences that come with this deal?...NO

Will this deal harm the collective development of Leaf prospects?...NO

And btw, you never responded to my post where you praised Tom Wilson but criticized Matt Martin after signing with the Leafs. What changed your mind in the last 2 months?...

I see a consistent pattern in all of your posts. Try not to be so obvious next time.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
I don't get the Leafs moves this off-season. Its like Stamkos was their Plan A and Plan B was tank another year.

We heard about all the assets they could move at the draft and they just took a bunch of guys who fell through last years draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a 1 YEAR DEAL!....

Are they competing for a playoff spot next season?... NO

Is there any long-term cap consequences that come with this deal?...NO

Will this deal harm the collective development of Leaf prospects?...NO

And btw, you never responded to my post where you praised Tom Wilson but criticized Matt Martin after signing with the Leafs. What changed your mind in the last 2 months?...

I see a consistent pattern in all of your posts. Try not to be so obvious next time.

I am curious why you bring up Tom Wilson? What does he have to do with the topic Polak, and what does he have to do with Martin in this thread? All 3 are very different players.

Furthermore, let's reply to what I posted. I think it is very clear.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Lol at critics over a 1 year deal to a bottom pairing d.

Who cares? He's insulation, an additional veteran player if someone struggles or gets injured. May also gain a 3rd rounder at the deadline. Very minor transaction.

People just like to complain. Was pleasantly surprised the Leafs did very little on July 1st, exactly as they should have... I think people are starting to see the Leafs won't deviate from their plan like in past, and may finally be showing the patience to build a solid team from the ground up. The Leaf haters don't like this....

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The leafs will in all likelyhood not make the playoffs, so in short we have cap space we added a solid depth defenceman, good soldier and vet the kids can look up too, a draft pick come trade deadline. What is so weong with that?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

The Leafs projected defencemen, in order of experience:

Matt Hunwick (427gp)
Jake Gardiner (331gp)
Morgan Rielly (236gp)
Martin Marincin (150gp)
Frankie Corrado (71gp)
Connor Carrick (53gp)
Nikita Zaitsev (0gp)

Roman Polak (608gp)

Any young D (or team) can look "fine" at the end of the year when the team is written off -- it's a mistake that many fans are guilty of making. Way different to do it for 82 games. Also interesting to note that Polak has more playoff experience, than the other 7 combined.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I am curious why you bring up Tom Wilson? What does he have to do with the topic Polak, and what does he have to do with Martin in this thread? All 3 are very different players.

Furthermore, let's reply to what I posted. I think it is very clear.

I bring him up because you praised his ability as a tough guy, then stated that "not all players need to be small and skilled". After Martin signed, you proceeded to criticize him as "a face puncher" "truculence is bad" etc, but isn't that essentially the kind of player Tom Wilson is as well?...

******** baffles brains must be your motto in life, huh?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

And you have missed mine. I am not advocating for 1 point of keeping Polak, i have several;

1. Leadership and experience
2. Familiarity
3. A great plan B; can be trade for a 2nd at the deadline

You are just focusing on 1 of my points when there are several pros. If we went with keeping Percy then we would have had roughly 1250 games played from our 7 defensemen. Leafs have a VERY VERY inexperienced D. Outside of Rielly, Gardiner and Hunwick we have 282 NHL games played from Marincin, Corrado, Carrick, Zaitsev and who you have been advocating for Percy compared to Polak's 559 games. Only player out of that group to play a full NHL season was Maricin and that was only 65 games. If that isnt inexperienced then i dont know what it. Rielly and Gardiner only played March and April without BOTH Phaneuf and Polak. Wait until we had to play a full season with 3 only 3 D who had regular NHL minutes and in my opinion i think Rielly and Gardiner are still developing. Would have been a disaster.

"Draft/Develop/Promote" - great! love it! i want the Leafs to do that all the time. But i think it is very clear management didnt see much in Percy. They didnt draft him and he didnt have much in the form of AHL numbers. They are developing and they are spending their time and efforts developing players they think can help their NHL; Marincin, Carrick, Zaitsev and Corrado. Polak > Percy no matter how you put.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Reimer.....17 million
Lucic.....42 million
Okposo....42 million
Backes....30 million
Weise....9.4 million
Radulov....5.75 million

Polak....2.25 million...."Worst signing in the history of signings!! Leafs are stupid!!!"

I love this site.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo

I think Lou and Shanahan are looking for experience in the dressing room. Gardiner and Rielly don't bring that.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Reimer.....17 million
Lucic.....42 million
Okposo....42 million
Backes....30 million
Weise....9.4 million
Radulov....5.75 million

Polak....2.25 million...."Worst signing in the history of signings!! Leafs are stupid!!!"

I love this site.

radulov going to easily outscore the.entire leafs lineup, not sure why you listed him

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Babcock loves some Polak - he brings stability to a blue line where guys like Gardener and Reilly just aren't ready for yet.

It's short term, small cap hit and he addresses a need.

What's the problem????

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
radulov going to easily outscore the.entire leafs lineup, not sure why you listed him

Well, one no one has seen the next year lineup play yet. And two, Radu is likely to miss some games because of oversleeping, partying and other ridiculousness.

See how I can project the future too?

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Guy got you two 2nds at the deadline. Seems to be doing something right.

It is quite simple; have 2 defensemen who are pretty new to the NHL in Zaitsev and Carrick. Marincin who just had his first full season. And Corrado who hasnt played much either. Putting Percy in there would give you 5 inexperienced D out of you 7 to go with a youngish Rielly and Gardiner. Not a good plan at all. Add in the notion that he did not get much opportunity because (maybe) management thought he was not good enough so why keep investing money to fix what you think is not salvageable when you can get an NHL D like Polak who you had on a one year deal who netted you two 2nds just 3 months ago.

So you get an NHL D in Polak to help you now and if you dont contend then maybe you can trade him at the deadline for a 3rd or a 2nd. Whereas you keep Percy in hopes he becomes a bottom pairing D. Better use of assets by letting him go and signing Polak.

And he immediately paid by the favor by giving Riemer away for a conditional 3rd round pick, a condition that was the miracle of the Sharks making the finals.

Lou also opted to sit on Parenteau when he should have gotten as least a third, considering the Leafs owe both Detriot and NJ 3rd round compensation for Babcock and Lou it would make sense to add another.

But it's just Matt Martin, it's just a 3rd round pick.... it's sloppy management.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I bring him up because you praised his ability as a tough guy, then stated that "not all players need to be small and skilled". After Martin signed, you proceeded to criticize him as "a face puncher" "truculence is bad" etc, but isn't that essentially the kind of player Tom Wilson is as well?...

******** baffles brains must be your motto in life, huh?

I would prefer staying on topic but, but Tom Wilson is 22, he is a former 16OA pick that has not even remotely peaked yet, and he is not a UFA. He would be a RFA. It baffles me that you would compare the 2. It was a bad comparison to begin with, and one that didn't need response to.

As for Polak's signing. Again, 1 year is palatable. But I maintain, I would have used that spot on developing a young defender on the NHL club. This is my position.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I would prefer staying on topic but, but Tom Wilson is 22, he is a former 16OA pick that has not even remotely peaked yet, and he is not a UFA. He would be a RFA. It baffles me that you would compare the 2. It was a bad comparison to begin with, and one that didn't need response to.

As for Polak's signing. Again, 1 year is palatable. But I maintain, I would have used that spot on developing a young defender on the NHL club. This is my position.

Like who? Our best D prospect is Dermott...and he isn't ready yet.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And he immediately paid by the favor by giving Riemer away for a conditional 3rd round pick, a condition that was the miracle of the Sharks making the finals.

Lou also opted to sit on Parenteau when he should have gotten as least a third, considering the Leafs owe both Detriot and NJ 3rd round compensation for Babcock and Lou it would make sense to add another.

But it's just Matt Martin, it's just a 3rd round pick.... it's sloppy management.

A. Who wanted Reimer other than SJ? He had to go so they could evaluate Bernier/Sparks before heading into the offseason.

B. He didn't sit on PAP, he was actively shopping him....but it takes a buyer as well.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Well it baffles me as well because nowhere in your previous message did you mention anything about his draft status (why would that matter anyways?) and cost control in your praise to him, only his ability as a big bodied physical forward, which is what Matt Martin is. Also, where is the evidence that Martin has peaked as he finished the season with a career high in goals?

Polak's 1 year deal is now suddenly palatable to you?...

Your bobbing and weaving skills need more practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad