Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Peter Holland (1 year, $1.3M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I find this hard to believe. TSN is never bullish on anything Leafs and people were generallt WTF at the time, because the Leafs had just lost Colborne for cheap due to waiver eligibility.

I don't really care if you don't believe it, as it's irrelevant now anyway. Hell, one of Duthie or Dregger (can't remember which it was) even tweeted "can't believe Anaheim gave up on Holland so quickly".

Anyway, sucks for Pete. I thought he was going to be a stud, but seemed to lack the drive when he was here in Anaheim. He showed some flashes, especially with that shot.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If that is the case then he will be claimed. If not then maybe he needs more work and a two way deal for one or two years may be the best thing for him. Heck if he is a NHL player a two way deal means nothing to him.

Teams have almost every reason to not claim him right now (improves his arbitration case, and increases his potential salary for the claiming team).
They'd be better letting him go unclaimed, lowering his contract value, and hope they can get him later.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Peter Holland is actually an NHL player, how could Lou argue he deserves a two-way?

He's a fringe nhl er. Like, he has enough skill; but is extremely frustrating to watch as it looks like he gives it one shift and dogs the next. Hence, why he's been in Babcock s doghouse. If he's able to put pure effort every shift I can see him being a solid 3rd liner.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
think hollands in that no mans land where an arbitor will give him more than hes worth... doesnt mean he cant play... just that his comparables in arbitration are also overpaid.

I like this new tactic the teams are doing. i hope it works.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'm a little surprised by this. Not a lot, but a little.

Holland is a decent player, and would be a solid pickup.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Holland's arbitration hearing is on Monday. I'm wondering if that gets rescheduled if someone decides to claim him. I'm sure a team wouldn't claim him unless they have a clearly defined role for him. Still, if the hold up is a one-way contract, then give him one. The Leafs have the financial power to give fringe NHLers one-way contracts to play in the AHL.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I still can't get over the "Leafs Fans" on our forum actually thinking this guy is better than one of Kadri or Bozak.

Though it was more like the Kadri haters saying Holland was better than Kadri, and the Bozak haters saying Holland was better than Bozak. You know how to find and idiot troll when...

Still can't believe Carlyle played him for 4 minutes every game on the 4th liner to burn that 2nd :shakehead

The condition was 25+ games.

He played 39 games.

In 6 of those, he played less than 8 minutes.

His average ice time was 11:35.

But if you want to complain, go ahead... ;)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Holland's arbitration hearing is on Monday. I'm wondering if that gets rescheduled if someone decides to claim him. I'm sure a team wouldn't claim him unless they have a clearly defined role for him. Still, if the hold up is a one-way contract, then give him one. The Leafs have the financial power to give fringe NHLers one-way contracts to play in the AHL.

The hold up is more to do with cap space I'd say. It has nothing to do with giving him a two-way deal because we are too cheap to give him a one-way deal (salary wise).

I'm sure if he clears, we'll get him for a lot less than he deserves and then we'll try to sell him off to a cap or budget team. I guess Lou is counting on maybe as much as 750k difference in cap space (or salary savings) making a big difference on the trade market.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think they really care either way.

Option 1: He gets claimed and they don't have to deal with him.

Option 2: Shows his value, easy contract to handle, gets a 2-way deal.

I don't think it's that complicated.

Do we even care if he's on a one way or two way? It may not even be a good idea to have him on the Marlies. They might decide a guy like Adam Brooks is worth playing in the AHL ahead of a random vet.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The hold up is more to do with cap space I'd say. It has nothing to do with giving him a two-way deal because we are too cheap to give him a one-way deal (salary wise).

I'm sure if he clears, we'll get him for a lot less than he deserves and then we'll try to sell him off to a cap or budget team. I guess Lou is counting on maybe as much as 750k difference in cap space (or salary savings) making a big difference on the trade market.

probably. Holland is probably lookinf for upwards of 1.5-2million.
I think this opens up a real shot for a leivo/brown/soshnikov

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not true.
Claiming the player gives the player quite the leverage in negotiating a new contract (which still needs to be done with the new team).

Unless a team truly things he's worth the upper range in salary, or that he'll be claimed by someone else with greater priority in October, they would be smart to wait, let the Leafs settle on a cheaper contract, and claim him later.

That said, I think this is poor flexing, by Lou. It worked with MIN and Schroeder, but Holland has a much better case than Schroeder, is much more likely to be claimed, and really has no reason to be on a two-way.

There's much I like about what Lou is bringing, but there is much I very much question. (Not like, "What are you doing?? You are ruining the team!" but the small things, that make you say, "Why? That's not necessary..." I don't think he is the best at asset management, especially minor asset management, for example.)

This is my impression as well. Plus I think the management group (Lou included) is in the mindset of "Get this guy out now if you can" if they aren't in the fold going forward. I mean it gets rid of the guys they don't want faster, but it's not great when it comes down to asset management (For example, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have got anything for Percy when they got Rychel out of Harrington).

Maybe it's just temporary pain while they get rid of the few guys from 2014 and before they don't want (there aren't too many guys left, if any), but I hope it's not the mindset they always have.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Should have been converted to a winger a long time ago, he's too slow and too poor a puck distributor to play center. Nonis in his infinite wisdom decided to dump both Colborne and Grabovski on a team with poor center depth, then made a desperation move. Then he never addressed the problem, so our center depth got even worse when Bolland left and they were forced to play Holland as a regular at that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad