Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Peter Holland (1 year, $1.3M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
What can I say, I was right again, if Holland is not claimed, he has no value. So now we can put Holland in the same catagory as Percy. "Player has no value, stop putting him in every trade package..."

Wow, congrats man! You know the same thing that 90% of Leaf fans know. All fan bases try to include their garbage in trade proposals on a regular basis, it's not new or Toronto specific.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
ha, I remember listening to the TSN panel saying the Leafs fleeced us, and that we had given up on him too soon.

I find this hard to believe. TSN is never bullish on anything Leafs and people were generallt WTF at the time, because the Leafs had just lost Colborne for cheap due to waiver eligibility.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
He's an nhl caliber player for sure, but he's easily replaceable so if he gets claimed it's no big deal. Not like they were ever gonna get anything more than a mid-late pick for him in a trade.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
would he not get very little in arbitration anyway? He could get picked up if hes cheap.

just cause the Leafs dont want him doesnt mean others will. oh wait its the leafs , yea he likely has no value lol

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I don't get it. He can put up 30-35 points while playing in the bottom 6, sounds like someone worth keeping around. Is he bad defensively?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I hope someone claims him. Never understood the love for him.

Same he's such a meh player. Only two things that I think tied Toronto to him is draft position and the idiotic price we paid for him at that point in his career

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Same he's such a meh player. Only two things that I think tied Toronto to him is draft position and the idiotic price we paid for him at that point in his career

That was such a great few months by management

1. Trade Colbourne for a 4th because we needed to give Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren roster spots

2. Injuries

3. Trade for Holland because we need a center

4. Play Holland for 4 minutes per game on the 4th line with Colton Orr so he reaches his 25 game threshold for the pick we traded for him to become a 2nd

It's like 1 big ugly circle.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't get it. He can put up 30-35 points while playing in the bottom 6, sounds like someone worth keeping around. Is he bad defensively?

He's around average. I'm a little bit confused as to why we waived him. Everyone says as soon as someone goes unqualified or is waived they automatically have no value, but it wouldn't be the first time this management group lets someone valuable go for nothing (or a lot less than they are worth). Sometimes they would rather just get them out than try to get legit value, but you'd think they'd at least get something for him, even if it was a late round pick or something.

Whoever claims him gets a cheap 30-35 point forward with some value and upside at 25. If there is a time to claim someone on waivers, now is the time.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

He's a bit below average defensively. I know most here won't believe it, but the Leafs are chalk full of young up and coming players. Some have or soon will passed Holland on the depth chart.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

1. Trade Colbourne for a 4th because we needed to give Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren roster spots

2. Injuries

4. Play Holland for 4 minutes per game on the 4th line with Colton Orr so he reaches his 25 game threshold for the pick we traded for him to become a 2nd

It's almost like Carlyle and Nonis were going to go to Anaheim the entire time... Oh wait :sarcasm:

And technically, Colborne was unqualified by Calgary, so trading him may not have been the worst thing in the world. Why we gave Holland the 25 game threshold is beyond me though. Hopefully we get our Holland-type deals with all of our young guys coming up.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

2. Injuries

Yeah I remember that year

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's almost like Carlyle and Nonis were going to go to Anaheim the entire time... Oh wait :sarcasm:

And technically, Colborne was unqualified by Calgary, so trading him may not have been the worst thing in the world. Why we gave Holland the 25 game threshold is beyond me though. Hopefully we get our Holland-type deals with all of our young guys coming up.

Colbourne just got a 2 year 2.5 AAV from Colorado. Put up 100 points in the past 3 years. There's no doubt who's the better player.

Yet we traded more to get the worse player, because we needed to keep that garbage tough guy int he lineup. Injuries were going to happen. Hanging onto Colbourne should have been the obvious move.

Every single decision in that bunch was absolutely horrible.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Colbourne just got a 2 year 2.5 AAV from Colorado. Put up 100 points in the past 3 years. There's no doubt who's the better player.

Yet we traded more to get the worse player, because we needed to keep that garbage tough guy int he lineup. Injuries were going to happen. Hanging onto Colbourne should have been the obvious move.

Every single decision in that bunch was absolutely horrible.

That's so Nonis...with a bit of Carlyle.

Colborne has been better.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I have to ask, does the timing of his arbitration hearing factor into teams claiming him or not? I mean his hearing is in 3 days. The Leafs are the team taking him to the hearing so I would assume they've worked through the evidence they would present for a little while now. Other teams however, wouldn't have been aware Holland would be on waivers, so would only just now be preparing evidence they want to present at his arbitration hearing.

It's a bit of a rush isn't it? Would the short amount of time to prepare evidence scare teams off from claiming him, thinking they don't want to lose and pay him what he wants due to insufficient time to prepare evidence.

Now yeah they should be able to compile evidence in 3 days without too many problems. But you never know.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Other teams however, wouldn't have been aware Holland would be on waivers, so would only just now be preparing evidence they want to present at his arbitration hearing.

I'm pretty sure that if a team claims him, that team will sign him before his hearing.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can you link me to these proposals? I frequent these boards often, and I don't remember any Percy + Holland for a young top 4 RHD.. If not, I'll just assume you're speaking out of your ass.

Pretty sure there hasn't been. Most of the bad offers come from 2 guys(who make 90% of Leafs offers on here), and even then there's someone more valuable in there than Percy and Holland.

Percy and/or Holland have often been tossed into proposals as if they have a small bit of value the same way 7th round picks get tossed into proposals as if that changes anything, but I don't recall any proposals where anyone was asking for a top 4 D where the best piece were Percy or Holland.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Exactly. I actually think Holland is a solid player whom I would be happy to claim, but this proves he has no trade value. So many stop with the "Percy+Holland for [insert young top-4 RHD]" proosals?

Would love to see an example of someone proposing this

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure that if a team claims him, that team will sign him before his hearing.

That's a solid possibility. But not being able to talk to Holland until tomorrow at noon when he's their property, there's no guarantee that Holland will just agree to whatever they're offering. If a team is worried about paying Holland what he would get in arbitration, it's quite possible Holland won't settle for less beforehand.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have to ask, does the timing of his arbitration hearing factor into teams claiming him or not? I mean his hearing is in 3 days. The Leafs are the team taking him to the hearing so I would assume they've worked through the evidence they would present for a little while now. Other teams however, wouldn't have been aware Holland would be on waivers, so would only just now be preparing evidence they want to present at his arbitration hearing.

It's a bit of a rush isn't it? Would the short amount of time to prepare evidence scare teams off from claiming him, thinking they don't want to lose and pay him what he wants due to insufficient time to prepare evidence.

Now yeah they should be able to compile evidence in 3 days without too many problems. But you never know.
I'm pretty sure they could put off the arbitration. I think I read something about that somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad